Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by $lacker »

SKYO wrote:Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!
@mattsekeres 1m

Swedish media reporting that #Canucks Henrik Sedin is out of the Olympics and that Mikael Backlund will be his replacement.
Agreed - it was the only option IMO. How could he go play for Sweden when he can't play for the club that pays him? Sucks for Henrik being his last chance (most likely), but he needs the rest and maybe his brother will wake up and find his game playing with some other talent!
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

$lacker wrote:
SKYO wrote:Happy to hear Hank is staying home to get better!
@mattsekeres 1m

Swedish media reporting that #Canucks Henrik Sedin is out of the Olympics and that Mikael Backlund will be his replacement.
Agreed - it was the only option IMO. How could he go play for Sweden when he can't play for the club that pays him? Sucks for Henrik being his last chance (most likely), but he needs the rest and maybe his brother will wake up and find his game playing with some other talent!
Truly sucks. The Sedins + Loui Eriksson were meant to be our first line. :(

The twins already have Olympic and world championship gold medals though, so I think their main concern is winning Lord Stanley's cup, to have won all three major hockey competitions.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:Truly sucks. The Sedins + Loui Eriksson were meant to be our first line. :(

The twins already have Olympic and world championship gold medals though, so I think their main concern is winning Lord Stanley's cup, to have won all three major hockey competitions.
Then Daniel should probably stay home too.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tough for Hank but the only logical choice. Rest is the only thing for a rib injury.

And to think that both Santorelli and Hank were knocked out by the same guy using his stick and said player received zero supplementary discipline on either play.

Ye, he got fined 5k for his hit on Booth, the one player who has actually played better since being hit.

I thought the NHL said injuries do matter?
The only HW the Canucks need
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Hockey Widow wrote:Tough for Hank but the only logical choice. Rest is the only thing for a rib injury.

And to think that both Santorelli and Hank were knocked out by the same guy using his stick and said player received zero supplementary discipline on either play.

Ye, he got fined 5k for his hit on Booth, the one player who has actually played better since being hit.

I thought the NHL said injuries do matter?
The NHL picked one of three high stick incidents for supplementary discipline. Obviously, they took the one that did no actual damage. A $5k fine means nothing to NHL players. I bet it would be 10+ games suspension if it was Kassian or Sestito instead of any players from the Coyotes. :evil:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A chuck to the ribs is a constant game play. Last time I checked, ribs are below shoulder height, the only high stick was to Booth.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Topper wrote:A chuck to the ribs is a constant game play. Last time I checked, ribs are below shoulder height, the only high stick was to Booth.
1 high stick and 2..........................

Cross-checking is an infraction in the sport of ice hockey where a player checks an opponent by using the shaft of his or her stick with both hands. In the rules of the National Hockey League, cross-checking is defined in Rule 59.[1]

While body checking is allowed, the use of the stick increases the risk of injury to an opponent. The most common penalty is a two minute minor, served by the offender. However under certain circumstances the referee may assess a major penalty (plus automatic Game Misconduct) or a Match Penalty if the action is judged to be an attempt to injure the player
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Topper wrote:A chuck to the ribs is a constant game play. Last time I checked, ribs are below shoulder height, the only high stick was to Booth.
To be exact, the hit on Booth was not even high stick. The freak on his knee is about the same height as Booth. However, the crosschecked on Santorelli could be classified as high stick. Hanzal put his stick under Santorelli's arm and raised it above his own freaking shoulder. :evil:

KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Sure, the stick work on Santo and Hank could have easily both been called as 2 minute penalties...but really nothing more than that.

Both are pretty typical plays that rarely result in these types of injuries. Really bad luck that both players ended up injured the to the degree that they did.

The Booth play was imo the worst and the most deserving of supplemental.

That said, I hope the Canucks make a point of laying the lumber on Hanzal next game vs the Yotes.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
To be exact, the hit on Booth was not even high stick. The freak on his knee is about the same height as Booth. However, the crosschecked on Santorelli could be classified as high stick. Hanzal put his stick under Santorelli's arm and raised it above his own freaking shoulder. :evil:

The best part is that Henrik went to the penalty box for hooking right before the cross-check. The ref was looking directly at Hank when Hanzal did that. No call.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:
Jovocop wrote:

The best part is that Henrik went to the penalty box for hooking right before the cross-check. The ref was looking directly at Hank when Hanzal did that. No call.
Welcome to the Canucks NHL!

Fixed it .
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Jovocop wrote:
Mëds wrote: The best part is that Henrik went to the penalty box for hooking right before the cross-check. The ref was looking directly at Hank when Hanzal did that. No call.
Welcome to the NHL!
... And its cross Czechs.
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

dbr wrote:Mantha's offensive ability is tempting but he is a one way guy who is pretty much known for a lack of intensity, heart, effort.. he is either going to have to prove he is a world class talent to succeed in the NHL, or completely reform his game. Plus he is way older than most of the guys drafted in 2013.. born a day or two earlier and he would have been a mid round pick in 2012. I don't know, lots to like about him but there are some pretty big red flags.

Smith, I haven't seen him play much but he's only three years younger than Edler and we had a pretty good idea of what kind of player Alex Edler could be by that age (a defenseman we have at the same age, Chris Tanev, probably isn't going to add any other big dimensions to his game either).

I wouldn't turn my nose up at either player but I'd hope we could do better for Edler.
So you are more comforted by those superficial, cliche Billy Beane attributes in a prospect, big, strong, fast, works hard, all around, coachable, etc? How about intangibles , how about the fact that he can fucking score! Every time I saw him he was dangerous, has a real nose for scoring, Johnny on the spot, if Detroit drafted him that should tell u something.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

RoyalDude wrote:So you are more comforted by those superficial, cliche Billy Beane attributes in a prospect, big, strong, fast, works hard, all around, coachable, etc? How about intangibles , how about the fact that he can fucking score! Every time I saw him he was dangerous, has a real nose for scoring, Johnny on the spot, if Detroit drafted him that should tell u something.
Aw cram it Dude, Brandon Reid was a great WJC scorer once. Cody Hodgson turned in a performance for the ages and is still a guy whose best games are the ones where he outscores his problems.

If Mantha had dropped to 24 and we got him instead of Hunter Shinkaruk I'd be pulling for him but when the people who watched him play are saying things like they do, that's not a guy I'd be jazzed about trading Alex Edler for.

I mean there was some talk about Carolina shopping their fifth overall pick for a top four defenseman, you could have taken Monahan with that pick (and Lindholm is no slouch either) and now we're supposed to get jazzed about a guy whose main selling point is that if he actually put in an effort his talent might put him on the same level as players like that?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Go back and read the scathing scouting reports on Claude Giroux.

It's simple for me, we can't fucking score and Mantha is a pure goal scorer, you can't teach that shit. I could care less about his faults, everyone is flawed, but Mantha has a talent that we don't have, pure goal scorer. Also, he is pretty good set up man as well as he is at the top in the Q in assists, he bleeds offence, I can live with his faults

Mantha leads the Q in scoring - 42 games, 43 goals, 47 assists. Good enough for me, not too mention that he is 6'5" and not to mention he can produce against the best players in the world of his age group the WJC's

It's funny hearing CC Edler haters saying we could get a top 5 pick for him when these same folk run him through the ringer after each and every game for his mistakes and how much of an overrated D-man he is and that he ain't worth the money Gillis gave him, blah, blah, blah. Just research all of Mëds post game posts, they are all about his disdain for Edler. "But we can get a top 5 pick for him!" Good luck with that

Do you not think that if Gillis had a chance to draft Monahan or Lindholm by just trading Edler for that chance he would have? What does that say about our GM if that were true? Even Gillis isn't that dense to turn that down, at least I hope not.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau