Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by $lacker »

RoyalDude wrote:An interesting little tidbit, the two fourth round picks we gave Columbus in the great Pahlsson trade ended up being Taylor Leier and Josh Anderson. Both Leier and Johnson will be playing with Horvat and Shinkaruk at the 2014 WJC's

Johnson is Horvats teammate in London. Leier plays for the Portland winterhawks
Let's not pretend that Gillis would have drafted these guys should they have kept the picks... :lol:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

$lacker wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:An interesting little tidbit, the two fourth round picks we gave Columbus in the great Pahlsson trade ended up being Taylor Leier and Josh Anderson. Both Leier and Johnson will be playing with Horvat and Shinkaruk at the 2014 WJC's

Johnson is Horvats teammate in London. Leier plays for the Portland winterhawks
Let's not pretend that Gillis would have drafted these guys should they have kept the picks... :lol:
Well, this is the same brass who said they justified trading the 1st pick in the Ballard trade cause the Canuck scouts didn't like what was available with their pick, these 4 players went right after the Howden pick - Kuznetsov (Capitals prospect), Etem (with Ducks now), Charlie Coyle (with Wild now), Brock Nelson (with Islanders now). Most scouts consider Kuznetsov the best player outside the NHL. Apparently he will be coming to the NHL (Capitals) after the Olympics, next season.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Unravelling the mystery of Booth's spotty play. The good shifts had been few & far between.
Remember the post-game buzz when David Booth and John Tortorella met behind closed doors nearly two weeks ago at Rogers Arena?

Rumours swirled that the much-maligned winger was lobbying for more playing time in the minors because, as a healthy scratch that night, Booth was becoming less of a factor with the Vancouver Canucks and appeared destined to become a compliance buyout next summer.

Turns out Booth wanted more. A lot more.

He successfully lobbied the coach to allow highly-respected local power-skating coach Barb Aidelbaum to work with Booth and the club’s strength and conditioning coach Roger Takahashi.

Booth’s commitment to regain his powerful stride and balance after knee, ankle and groin injuries the last two years wasn’t just talk.

Before the Canucks departed on their last road trip on what was a travel day, Booth and Aidelbaum had a 7 a.m. skating session at Rogers Arena.
Because of his injuries, David was in a protective stance. When you’ve had groin issues, you don’t want a wide stance or your knee over your toes, and we focused on that. It wasn’t like we were starting from scratch; he needed to be placed in the right position again.

He will surpass the top level he had before and it will happen very quickly. He’s very dedicated. There are not a lot of players I know — and I’ve coached hundreds of NHL players over the years — who will stand up to a coach and say: ‘This is what I really need.’ Some will just go with the flow, and it’s a pretty gutsy thing for David to do.
There has to be a buy-in.

He’s the type of player where you can tell him something and the way he thinks the game through, he can go out and adjust on the fly,” added Aidelbaum, who has also worked with Canucks defenceman Dan Hamhuis and former Vancouver centre Manny Malhotra. David has got it all going on. If you have the edging and the balance and the starting quickness and stride, that’s going to make for a very good forward.

Sitting there and watching his first game as a Canuck, I thought: ‘I hope his hands can move as fast as feet.’ The speed I had watched like that was Pavel Bure — whom I also coached a bit.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

So put him with the Sedins?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Interesting..watching pit/ bruins game from yesterday on NHLN.. They had a text in poll.

Question was which game are you most looking forward to watching (canadian teams)
Laffs. 29%
Lames.8%
Coilers. 13%
Nucks. 50%

Not bad for Canada's most hated team..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

ClamRussel wrote:So put him with the Sedins?
Yes but make other players ( ie Kassian earn their time) . It makes no sense really. Then again Burrows would probably still be on the top line if he went 50 games without a goal.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

sagebrush wrote:Unravelling the mystery of Booth's spotty play. The good shifts had been few & far between.
Remember the post-game buzz when David Booth and John Tortorella met behind closed doors nearly two weeks ago at Rogers Arena?

Rumours swirled that the much-maligned winger was lobbying for more playing time in the minors because, as a healthy scratch that night, Booth was becoming less of a factor with the Vancouver Canucks and appeared destined to become a compliance buyout next summer.

Turns out Booth wanted more. A lot more.

He successfully lobbied the coach to allow highly-respected local power-skating coach Barb Aidelbaum to work with Booth and the club’s strength and conditioning coach Roger Takahashi.

Booth’s commitment to regain his powerful stride and balance after knee, ankle and groin injuries the last two years wasn’t just talk.

Before the Canucks departed on their last road trip on what was a travel day, Booth and Aidelbaum had a 7 a.m. skating session at Rogers Arena.
Because of his injuries, David was in a protective stance. When you’ve had groin issues, you don’t want a wide stance or your knee over your toes, and we focused on that. It wasn’t like we were starting from scratch; he needed to be placed in the right position again.

He will surpass the top level he had before and it will happen very quickly. He’s very dedicated. There are not a lot of players I know — and I’ve coached hundreds of NHL players over the years — who will stand up to a coach and say: ‘This is what I really need.’ Some will just go with the flow, and it’s a pretty gutsy thing for David to do.
There has to be a buy-in.

He’s the type of player where you can tell him something and the way he thinks the game through, he can go out and adjust on the fly,” added Aidelbaum, who has also worked with Canucks defenceman Dan Hamhuis and former Vancouver centre Manny Malhotra. David has got it all going on. If you have the edging and the balance and the starting quickness and stride, that’s going to make for a very good forward.

Sitting there and watching his first game as a Canuck, I thought: ‘I hope his hands can move as fast as feet.’ The speed I had watched like that was Pavel Bure — whom I also coached a bit.
Oh no, that just can't be...all the so called experts on here would never allow their keyboard GMing skills to be betrayed by such a reality. I mean it would take a miracle if Davey returned to form (7 being a JC dude and all).

:mex:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:So put him with the Sedins?
Yes but make other players ( ie Kassian earn their time) . It makes no sense really. Then again Burrows would probably still be on the top line if he went 50 games without a goal.
Well thats just it. If anyone has earned a chance there its probably Higgins. He seems to me to be a bit of Trent Klatt type winger but with more speed, better hands & a better forechecker...well pretty much better everything.

Even if he's not producing at least Burrows has earned it in the past and is solid defensively even when not scoring. At least he brings something to the table when he's snake bitten, even Kassian brings size & good hands....whats Booth bring? Even his speed appears to be M.I.A. this season. If Booth can continue working w/ that power skating coach and working hard its possible he could be a valuable contributor on the 2nd or 3rd line but I just don't see him working w/ the Twins. Booth & Santorelli makes the most sense to me. Some of these players need time to develop chemistry, at least they have a good history together.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

BladesofSteel wrote:Canucks recall "Not-Shae" from the Comets this morning. Evidently, Torts was none too impressed with the play of AA Friday night.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438519
Torts has said from day one he wants to carry 7 D'men. Not 8, not 6, but 7.

This tells me Edler's knee injury is not a tweak. Recalling Weber now only makes sense if Edler will be out for awhile. Alberts is playing tonight so Torts will give him some games to fit back in. When Alberts stays within his level and doesn't try to be anything but a good solid defender he can play well for us. We just need him to be reliable, tough and play decent minutes.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

rats19 wrote:
nuckster wrote:
Strangelove wrote: If he likes you he calls you mister.

It's a ster thing.
Quite a memory there Mr. Strangelove! I'm not usually driven to 'ster' the pot ... just smoke a little now and again. I'm usually content with my 'lurker' status - life gets pretty busy sometimes.

In all seriousness, does anyone know what has happened with Donny (Lever)? I recall reading a post somewhere along the line that mentioned 'RIP' in reference to Donnie and I thought WTF?; I didn't have time at the time to follow it up.
He became disenfranchised..
Well said Ratski! :lol:

:(

We lost more than a few good men in the Spring of 2011.

I miss Levster...
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Me too doc...me too
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Roberto Luongo was named the NHL 3rd star for last week.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

sagebrush wrote:
Topper wrote:Roberto Luongo was named the NHL 3rd star for last week.
Though some, like Sportsnet's MacLean, Kypreos, May, Keenan, Morrison, & Lawton, don't think he makes the Olympics.
Check the date on that article.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Topper wrote:
sagebrush wrote:
Topper wrote:Roberto Luongo was named the NHL 3rd star for last week.
Though some, like Sportsnet's MacLean, Kypreos, May, Keenan, Morrison, & Lawton, don't think he makes the Olympics.
Check the date on that article.
You're right, although I heard Kypreos give his goalie selections again just the other day - & Luongo wasn't included.