Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by 2Fingers »

Diehard1 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:The entire team other than Lack and a couple others sucks balls.

But then are we surprised when MG did nothing in the off season to improve this team?

Another year wasted with no SC.
One thing that you shouldn't do is post angry right after a loss. Yep the team looks like absolute shit right now but we all knew this part of the schedule was coming. Gets much easier from now on.

Let's see what happens over the next few games. Definitely need to score some goals, and if they don't win a round or two this post-season then major changes will be needed.
I didn't post angry, hell this year I really don't care as much, but I did post the truth. :mrgreen:

They still suck balls.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Reefer2 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:

But then are we surprised when MG did nothing in the off season to improve this team?

One thing that you shouldn't do is post angry right after a loss. Yep the team looks like absolute shit right now but we all knew this part of the schedule was coming. Gets much easier from now on.

Let's see what happens over the next few games. Definitely need to score some goals, and if they don't win a round or two this post-season then major changes will be needed.
I didn't post angry, hell this year I really don't care as much, but I did post the truth. :mrgreen:

They still suck balls.
I'd hazard a guess that you haven't been a Nucks fan for more than 15 years. This is not sucking, the 80's and 90's were sucking. I'm too young to have watched in the 70's but they sucked then too.

This is still a playoff team and they should make it rather easily given their upcoming schedule. They suck balls if they were Edmonton, Calgary, Florida or Buffalo, not because they are a middle of the road team.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Diehard1 wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:One thing that you shouldn't do is post angry right after a loss. Yep the team looks like absolute shit right now but we all knew this part of the schedule was coming. Gets much easier from now on.

They still suck balls.
I'd hazard a guess that you haven't been a Nucks fan for more than 15 years. This is not sucking, the 80's and 90's were sucking. I'm too young to have watched in the 70's but they sucked then too.

This is still a playoff team and they should make it rather easily given their upcoming schedule. They suck balls if they were Edmonton, Calgary, Florida or Buffalo, not because they are a middle of the road team.
Not sure how you can lump the entire 90s into the suck. I happen to have loved the first half of that decade for this team. It was a coming of age. Linden entered the 90s w/ his 3rd season into the league at 20yrs of age; Quinn engineered the rebuilding of this team w/ savvy deals like the Butcher/Quinn trade which landed Courntall, Ronning, Momesso & Dirk among other deals; they landed their first bonafide superstar in Bure shortly after, they had several dominant seasons including a magical run to the finals, their first 50 goals scorer & major trophy winners. It all unfolded w/ the sale of the team to McCaw who fucked them at every turn...I suppose the beginning of the end was the handing of the keys to Arthur however (building a new team w/o the means to do so, bringing in the NBA to help pay for it and subsequently losing control of the franchise)...which led to the Gretzky snub and the Messier-spite-signing and subsequent Quinn firing...McCaw+Messier=3 solid seasons of shit. Following that it was an upwards trajectory towards more solid seasons w/ the Westcoast Express. They completely fell short of playoff expectations for sure but that era certainly didn't suck.

So I'd go as far as to say w/ 7 out 10 seasons they didn't suck. A roller coaster ride for sure but the 90s were alright in my books. I too lived through the Canucks in the 80s so I feel your pain there.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Diehard1 wrote:

Yeah, we all knew this part of the schedule was coming, but so did the Canucks.....and they have shit the bed in epic fashion.

While I don't think anyone expected to see the Canucks play through early January the same way they stormed through December, I do think that this was a measuring stick for the team over the last 2 weeks, and they came up way short. They simply shit the bed in every divisional game, even managing to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in the dying moments of several outings, and only taking 1 point from 4 meetings with Anaheim and LA is simply not acceptable. I would have been happy with 3 points from those games, all things considered.

The easy schedule from here on out will only serve to delude fans and let management throw a smokescreen up regarding how competitive this team really is.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Diehard1 wrote:

I have been watching this team since the 70's.

I don't give a flying fuck what they did in 70's 80's 90's 00's or even 2 years ago. That is history.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Any chance this is just a slump?

They happen every year. They even happened in the glorious 2011 year.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

FWIW..It looked to me like everyone but Santo booth and kassian...had the flu. It appeared as if the just had no gas whatsoever. Didn't matter how important it was to get to the puck first ..they just couldn't do it.

More excuses maybe but that's what it looked like
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:Any chance this is just a slump?

They happen every year. They even happened in the glorious 2011 year.
The only problem is that it is not a slump for one or two players. It is a slump for the core players... Hamhuis is either playing hurt or avoiding to get hurt before Olympics. He has been making quite a lot of mistakes in the last two games.

Henrik is obviously injured and Daniel just seems to lose his focus.

Garrison has been very slow...

Bieksa is just being himself, CasualKev

Edler is still rusty

Higgins and Hansen are just not their usual selves...

The only bright spots are Tanev, Lack and Booth.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

At least the bright spots are young players! :D

I get it Jovo. The team looks like shit, which does tend to happen from time to time during a season.

But, how can all of our usually good, dependable players look like complete shit all of a sudden, when they were playing well only a few weeks ago? The only logical conclusion I can come to is a slump. I don't think they have all of a sudden forgotten how to play hockey. If you follow any NHL team, slumps will happen.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:At least the bright spots are young players! :D

I get it Jovo. The team looks like shit, which does tend to happen from time to time during a season.

But, how can all of our usually good, dependable players look like complete shit all of a sudden, when they were playing well only a few weeks ago? The only logical conclusion I can come to is a slump. I don't think they have all of a sudden forgotten how to play hockey. If you follow any NHL team, slumps will happen.
I seriously think that the Olympic selection had something to do with the record in December. Hamhuis is just not the same Hamhuis after he is selected. The team looks like shit because all the core players are playing like shit at the same time. I agree that it is a slump. Hopefully, they can get out of it quick.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I really think that we played like this because we simply do not measure up against the California teams and the Phoenix game was our let down, fatigue game. We played disheartened against Phoenix.

MG first tried to build a team with skill, discipline and enough team toughness to be a contender. We got within one game of winning it all. The series against Boston then the 4 and out against LA made him change his focus. He has been chasing the ghosts of 2011 trying to build teams that match that mold and we have no real identity, no swagger. As long as you have the Sedins you can't build a team in the mold of Boston, LA, SJS, Anaheim.

This is not an anti Sedin rant. I love the Sedins and am thrilled they are locked up for four more years. If our identity is built around them then we need to get back into the mold of building like teams like Chicago or Pittsburg or Detroit. Skill and secondary scoring to support their game. Enough team toughness to take care of business. Great goaltending.

We can't play bruise hockey for a whole season and playoffs. We are not built that way.
The only HW the Canucks need
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Chicago seems to win with a pure skill approach, there is more than one way to win.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:I really think that we played like this because we simply do not measure up against the California teams and the Phoenix game was our let down, fatigue game. We played disheartened against Phoenix.

MG first tried to build a team with skill, discipline and enough team toughness to be a contender. We got within one game of winning it all. The series against Boston then the 4 and out against LA made him change his focus. He has been chasing the ghosts of 2011 trying to build teams that match that mold and we have no real identity, no swagger. As long as you have the Sedins you can't build a team in the mold of Boston, LA, SJS, Anaheim.

This is not an anti Sedin rant. I love the Sedins and am thrilled they are locked up for four more years. If our identity is built around them then we need to get back into the mold of building like teams like Chicago or Pittsburg or Detroit. Skill and secondary scoring to support their game. Enough team toughness to take care of business. Great goaltending.

We can't play bruise hockey for a whole season and playoffs. We are not built that way.
Time to start building around Kesler and prepare for the Sedin's Selanne years.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: If our identity is built around them [Sedins] then we need to get back into the mold of building like teams like Chicago or Pittsburg or Detroit. Skill and secondary scoring to support their game. Enough team toughness to take care of business. Great goaltending.

Yup and that starts with acquiring Keith Yandle or Dan Boyle this offseason.

Then two lethal snipers, and then inject some much needed youth/talented young guns, either one or two of Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce or Jensen.

:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: MG first tried to build a team with skill, discipline and enough team toughness to be a contender. We got within one game of winning it all. The series against Boston then the 4 and out against LA made him change his focus. He has been chasing the ghosts of 2011 trying to build teams that match that mold and we have no real identity, no swagger. As long as you have the Sedins you can't build a team in the mold of Boston, LA, SJS, Anaheim.

Pretty sure Gillis has been talking about adding toughness for a few years now (before 2011).

Yours truly has said for years that if you have the Sedins in your top 6, you must add size/toughness to that 6

(and as much as possible throughout the lineup).

Yours truly has criticized Gillis for years for not being successful in this stated goal.

Of course it's not an easy task to accomplish... every team wants size/toughness + skill.

Assholes.

This past summer many of us were saying this season would hinge of the return of Kesler + Booth to the top 6

... along with Kassian stepping into that role.

Obviously that hasn't happened as far as Kassian and Booth (Burrows being snake-bitten/injured hasn't helped).

I think it's clear to everyone that Gillis is presently trying to trade a top-4 dee for a top-6 physical forward.

Not an easy trade to make in this day & age.

I thought our identity this year was that of a high-energy hard-working defensively-conscious fore-checking team.

A nice blend of skill + "team toughness".

Unfortunately, the failure of Booth, Kassian, and Burrows to perform as top-sixers has been killing us.

Still, it's been a roller-coaster ride thus far (highs and lows).

At this point the goal should be to sneak into the playoffs and hope to get on a roll

... without sacrificing the future in a trade.

Trading a top-4 dee+ for a youngish physical top-6 forward is key.
____
Try to focus on someday.