Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Overtime »

SKYO wrote:Random tidbits/info/news for our Canucks...
I found it difficult on where to put small news like Vandermeer being sent down, Schroeder being called up, so I made this thread, so now...

It appears Kassians thumping of Eager has given him a concussion. :thumbs:
Ben eager out with concussion after kassian fight
https://twitter.com/TEAM1040/status/294195180150599680
*found a pic!

Ouch! He completely "Smushed his Nose in!!!"
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Taylor Hall 1st overall draft pick
Ryan Nugent Holkins 1st overall draft pick
Nail Yakupov 1st overall draft picks

Winners those 3. We should tank like the Oilers, it's the only way
Yeah, it's not like the Canucks have ever gotten anything decent with top-3 picks throughout their history.
Petr Nedved was good. That is and was it I think? 2nd overall. Anyone else care to comment?
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Overtime wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Yeah, it's not like the Canucks have ever gotten anything decent with top-3 picks throughout their history.
Petr Nedved was good. That is and was it I think? 2nd overall. Anyone else care to comment?
Dale Tallon?
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Overtime »

Overtime wrote:
Overtime wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Dale Tallon?
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Umm Sedin and Sedin ?
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

ukcanuck wrote:Umm Sedin and Sedin ?
Nah. Did you forget? They are useless bums. They should have been sent back to Sweden a decade ago. Just garbage. :shock:
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

lostinarink wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:Umm Sedin and Sedin ?
Nah. Did you forget? They are useless bums. They should have been sent back to Sweden a decade ago. Just garbage. :shock:
Mentioned so far: Sedin x2, Tallon, Nedved (I really wanted Jagr, was totally bummed by Nedved)

The rest of the missing:
#2 - Linden
#3 - Ververgaert, Lever, Guevremont
#4 - Sandlak, Allen, Derlago, Gillis
#5 - Vaive
lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by lostinarink »

Since we are talking previous drafts, the Canucks have only drafted 8 players with 1000 or more NHL games. Can you figure out who they are by the number of games:

bonus points if you know the honorable mention 998
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What's funny about this tank vs playoffs debate is that both sides are right. No question securing high draft picks can help facilitate a long term rebuild. In the absence of a generational player or two it is a long term solution.

Building a winning culture, slowly developing assets, creating the right mixture of youth vs experience, gaining playoff experience, can also be a long term solution.

No matter how we proceed we are a few years away from being a sure bet playoff team and a few years from that of being a contender. If we make the playoffs and make it out of round one is that a successful year?

It really is kinda a silly debate. Teams that have gotten several years of high draft picks only became contenders with those players gaining experience and having the right blend of experience. As those players then became the vets or the core the pieces were in place to remain yearly contenders. No team did it overnight by drafting back to back to back high end talent. The other pieces had to be there. Which is why the Oilers have sucked vs Chicago or LA or the Pens. Those three teams created balance.

Benning's drafting, so far, appears light years ahead of what we have historically seen with this franchise. Early days but early returns are that he has drafted some good players past the first round, and in the first round he has drafted well. He has set up a strong developmental culture that bodes well for the future too. We may see more rookies next year in Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Pedan, Tyramakin, get a chance. His pick ups of Baertschi and Etem seem solid.

As much as I would love the opportunity to draft Matthews I don't see us collapsing that badly. Hopefully we can draft in the 10-15 range, it is shaping up for that. Settling on the idea that we won't pick up any meaningful draft picks. No choice but to support the course of action. We all knew, no matter what road we wanted Benning to take, that this was a 4-5 year transition/rebuild. We are closing in on the completion of year two.

Defensively we have hope. Subban is having a strong offensive year and by all accounts is learning the D side of things as a pro. He still projects to be an NHLer but still 2-3 years out, maybe a 3-6 guy and a valuable PP quarterback. Olsen is shaping up to be a sleeper pick with future top four potential Brisbois is by all accounts progressing nicely. There is positive talk that Tyramakin may get signed after this KHL season. Hutton is having a great rookie season and will only get better. Hopefully we will be able to draft a stud on D this year, somehow.

So when you step back its not all doom and gloom. In two years the only NTC we will have on the books will be Sutter. No doubt Benning will probably add a couple of more, hopefully modified ones, as is Sutter's.

In net we look very solid moving forward. Up front we have some good foward talent developing nicely. All things considered I think we will be fine. No Matthews, no problem. As hard as I have tried, as frustrated as I get, I just can't cheer for the team to lose, not with this many young players on the team still developing.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

We were never going to be drafting in the top 5. Not as long as the Sedins are here. So instead of Juolevi we draft Fabbro, big fucking deal, instead of drafting Nylander we are drafting Jost, big fucking deal

Avoid a losing culture, cause once the culture becomes a lost cause it's impossible to fix and nobody wants to play here, they all want to get out of dodge

You reall can't give up on Subban eh HW, lol. Stop sugar coating his play on defence, it's still awful.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Good post HW Image

I'm liking Benning's IDGAF attitude about what the fans cry about, I'm sticking to my plan.

& he's stuck to it, remain competitive, try to make the playoffs while getting youthful in the process, the young guns in this situation rapidly develop but don't get overworked thanks to the vets around.

Prust although he sucks after his injuries, he took Virtanen under his wing - right from the beginning, taught him to square up on dudes.

Sbisa with Hutton in October were a great mentorship/pairing.

Horvat being McCann's, JV's big bro, the young vet.

All while Miller (not the best anymore, big contract) but he's a stabilizing factor in all of this, allowing Markstrom to not take the heat right away and get overworked, which has helped thus far, as they form a great goaltending duo during these trying times.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

This going to be bad azz to see..

via irrfaan (sp)

#crazy :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Dr. Strangelove going to be playing too.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:We were never going to be drafting in the top 5. Not as long as the Sedins are here. So instead of Juolevi we draft Fabbro, big fucking deal, instead of drafting Nylander we are drafting Jost, big fucking deal

Avoid a losing culture, cause once the culture becomes a lost cause it's impossible to fix and nobody wants to play here, they all want to get out of dodge

You reall can't give up on Subban eh HW, lol. Stop sugar coating his play on defence, it's still awful.

No, I haven't given up on him yet. Admittedly I have only seen him play a handful of times so I don't really have a personally informed opinion to go on. I go on scouting reports and management feedback and occasionally fan message boards. By all accounts he has high end offensive talent.

Add in the pedigree factor and I am not ready to throw in the towel. In two years if he is still sitting with the worst, or one of the worst +/- in the league, still struggling defensively, then I will give it up. But until he has been given every opportunity to develop, until I get to see more of him, I will hold out hope that he will become our PP quarterback saviour!!
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

SKYO wrote:This going to be bad azz to see..

via irrfaan (sp)

#crazy :thumbs:
Bad azz indeed 8-)

Do my eyes deceive me? Is that Captain Trev on the ice? There's offensive Dman Jeff Brown too. Big Serge Momesso is on the bench along with the speedster Geoff Courtnall...

OMG! The Pylon Dana Murzyn is in the lineup! It's gonna be a slice.

The Big Irishman is up there with a stogie smiling...
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!