Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:
SKYO wrote:We just need a Norris trophy dman somehow someway, then we can let all our youth blossom in front of em
I'm sure JB knows this all too well. It's just really hard to acquire said defenseman. How many are there in the league? 10? How many teams are willing to trade one?

Karlsson (though weak defensively)
Weber
Subban
Chara (old and now injured)
Doughty
Keith
Suter
Pietrangelo
Hedman (certainly on the rise)

And to a lesser extent.....

Ekman-Larsson
Byfuglien
Shattenkirk
Burns?
Ehrhoff?
Yandle?
I think it's a take-a-risk types avail right now...

Byfuglien being the most likely...& the infamous Myers

Lesser types who might be avail..yandle/green/gardiner
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote:
SKYO wrote:We just need a Norris trophy dman somehow someway, then we can let all our youth blossom in front of em
I'm sure JB knows this all too well. It's just really hard to acquire said defenseman. How many are there in the league? 10? How many teams are willing to trade one?

Karlsson (though weak defensively)
Weber
Subban
Chara (old and now injured)
Doughty
Keith
Suter
Pietrangelo
Hedman (certainly on the rise)

And to a lesser extent.....

Ekman-Larsson
Byfuglien
Shattenkirk
Burns?
Ehrhoff?
Yandle?
I think it's a take-a-risk types avail right now...

Byfuglien being the most likely...& the infamous Myers

Lesser types who might be avail..yandle/green/gardiner
The "lesser types" both you & Mëds mentioned are a joke if we're having a Norris calibre discussion. Myers? Like Mëds said, where & how are you going to get one? I'll be happy if JB can make amends for including a lemon like Sbisa in the Kesler trade.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote: The "lesser types" both you & Mëds mentioned are a joke if we're having a Norris calibre discussion. Myers? Like Mëds said, where & how are you going to get one? I'll be happy if JB can make amends for including a lemon like Sbisa in the Kesler trade.

So just wait for the rang-a-bang gang and hope for a #1 pick that we have never had in our Canucks existence :?: ?
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

I think we may already have a future QB for the power play, just have to wait a year or 2...

ESPN article on Hutton from Oct.17th

Hutton's best defense is his offense

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- It could be perceived as offensive weakness. Or it could be an intimation of incredible individual ability.

Whatever you call it, the University of Maine hockey team had the rare distinction of a defenseman leading the team in goals scored last season. No, his name was not Bobby Orr.

That curious honor went to second-team All-American blueliner Ben Hutton, who lit the lamp a school record 15 times in 2013-14. That was one goal more than forward Devin Shore buried last year. Both players are back this season, buoying hopes for a bounce back season after the Bears finished a rather pedestrian 16-15-4 last season under first-year coach Red Gendron.

When asked if he's ever been on a team in his long playing and coaching career in which a defenseman led the team in goals scored, the grizzled UMaine head coach tilted his head slightly, ran his hand through his coarse hair and replied flatly, "Nope. Never."

That's Hutton in a nutshell: head-scratching ability and uncommon versatility. Shore, a second-round draftee of the Dallas Stars and a fellow second-team All-American, is the designated sniper on the team and is expected to improve his numbers this year. But Hutton is the man who makes plays all over the ice, quarterbacks the breakout and is the catalyst to Maine hockey busting through plateaus this year.

"He can make plays," Gendron said. "He's got above-average offensive ability for a player at this level. But he's also a very advanced defender, so even though he's got this offensive ability, he is also a very complete defenseman."

Despite his ability to shut down opposing teams' top lines, Hutton feels at home on the rush, jump-starting the offense from deep in his own end.

"I'm not afraid to mix it up," Hutton says with a smile. "When I get the chance to lower the boom on someone, I will. ..."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: The "lesser types" both you & Mëds mentioned are a joke if we're having a Norris calibre discussion. Myers? Like Mëds said, where & how are you going to get one? I'll be happy if JB can make amends for including a lemon like Sbisa in the Kesler trade.

So just wait for the rang-a-bang gang and hope for a #1 pick that we have never had in our Canucks existence :?: ?
Really? Is that the only alternative to trading away significant assets for some of these established guys?

If we use Mëds' list:

Karlsson: 15th Overall
Weber: 49th Overall
Subban: 43rd Overall
Chara: 56th Overall
Doughty: 2nd Overall
Keith: 54th Overall
Suter: 7th Overall
Pietrangelo: 4th Overall
Hedman: 2nd Overall
--------------
OEL: 6th Overall
Byfuglien: 245th Overall
Shattenkirk: 14th Overall
Burns: 20th Overall
Ehrhoff (lol why is he here?): 106th Overall
Yandle: 105th Overall
Myers: 12th overall

Yeah... not one single 1st overall pick out of that whole list. The reality is that the Canucks, rightly or wrongly, passed over Karlsson (Hodgson), Weber (Kesler), Subban (Ellington), Chara (Holden), Keith (Koltsov), Byfuglien (Francois-Pierre Guenette), Yandle (Raymond), Myers (Hodgson) and obviously we had Ehrhoff.

The key is drafting, and by extension, scouting. The one problem I do see is that the Canucks haven't drafted a d-man in the top-60 since Sauve. Corrado (150th) is likely going to be an NHLer at some point, but it seems like the Canucks have been burned taking d-men early (Sauve, Ellington) and are more comfortable taking forwards who can make a more immediate impact. There's always the chance of hitting a home-run with a later pick, but if the Canucks want a top-pairing d-man, their best bet is to draft one. It certainly doesn't take a 1st overall, or even a first round pick.

Guys like Vlasic, Kronwall, Campbell, Letang... all players the Canucks could have had without being a lottery team.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

18 year old draft prospect defencemen are ways hard to rank which is why when you scan the draft history, you see a lot of very good d-men that were not drafted in the 1st round. Edler and Bieksa were drafted outside the first round. For every can't miss 1st round Doughty, Pronger, Neidermeyer there is post 1st round Lidstrom, Subban, Keith, Weber. This also applies to goalies. The difficulties of projecting an 18 year old D prospect is reason enough to avoid wasting a first round pick on them as the first round has seen countless of busts when it comes to defenceman. I don't mind picking forwards ahead of D prospects in the first

This Devils kid - Severeson is it? He looks like a beauty, and he was a 2nd round pick, but I do agree the Canucks need to stock pile the bare D prospect cupboards. The next two top rated D prospects post Hanafin and Kylington are Roy and Werenski and should be available where I think the Canucks will be drafting. Just not sure Id take them ahead of the forward prospects that will be available to us unless they deem to be the best player available
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:18 year old draft prospect defencemen are ways hard to rank which is why when you scan the draft history, you see a lot of very good d-men that were not drafted in the 1st round. Edler and Bieksa were drafted outside the first round. For every can't miss 1st round Doughty, Pronger, Neidermeyer there is post 1st round Lidstrom, Subban, Keith, Weber. This also applies to goalies. The difficulties of projecting an 18 year old D prospect is reason enough to avoid wasting a first round pick on them as the first round has seen countless of busts when it comes to defenceman. I don't mind picking forwards ahead of D prospects in the first

This Devils kid - Severeson is it? He looks like a beauty, and he was a 2nd round pick, but I do agree the Canucks need to stock pile the bare D prospect cupboards. The next two top rated D prospects post Hanafin and Kylington are Roy and Werenski and should be available where I think the Canucks will be drafting. Just not sure Id take them ahead of the forward prospects that will be available to us unless they deem to be the best player available
Agreed. I think just given sheer numbers of forwards vs. d-men, and the various types (two-way, big, shifty, offensively gifted etc.) it stands to reason that they are more important to stockpile. But there needs to be a little risk taken, and frankly the Canucks have been quite risk-averse when it comes to drafting D-men in the past. "Safe" picks like Sauve, or stay at home types like Ellington are guys you can easily find in later rounds or in free agency, and their early physical maturation can sometimes make life easier for them in junior.

Shifting focus to skill players is certainly more risky, but the rewards can be huge. Look at local boy Tyson Barrie as an example. Playing the Canucks back-yard, he put up 52 points in 68 games for Kelowna in the W during his draft year. He was a better PPG player than Tyler Myers that year, who is a year older. Colorado took him 11 picks after we drafted Anton Rodin. If we had him right now, suddenly we have our RHD PP QB.

The Canucks should be taking long looks at guys like Rasmus Andersson (Barrie), Ryan Pilon (Brandon), and Ryan Gropp (Seattle), who are all projected to be 2nd round picks this year. There might be better options at Forward in the first round, but waiting until the 4th or 5th to take the lower-end dmen available in each draft just lessens your chances of getting a quality player.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

There is an incredibly high correlation between a D scoring in junior and making the NHL. Low scoring Junior level D almost NEVER make the NHL. Canucks Army did an excellent piece on this during the summer. Picking a guy like Ellington was an unforgivable bit of stupidity.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Ryan kesler. 3g 4a 7 pts
Nick Bonino. 3g 4a. 7pts

:wow:
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

rats19 wrote:Ryan kesler. 3g 4a 7 pts
Nick Bonino. 3g 4a. 7pts

+/- -1 GWG 1 FO% 59.2

+/- 3 GWG 1 FO% 44.1

And he's NOT a locker room cancer 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Don't mind Bonino at all. 26, rocket of a wrist shot, kills penalties, seems like a good guy (i.e. not a selfish prick cancer). Once Kassian/Shink/Jensen earns a spot on that line we could have something moving forward.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Arachnid wrote:
Nick Bonino. 3g 4a. 7pts

+/- -1 GWG 1 FO% 59.2

+/- 3 GWG 1 FO% 44.1

And he's NOT a locker room cancer 8-)
The naysayers argument against Bonino was that his production last year was a product of playing with Getzlaf and Perry. It's early, but if he keeps this up playing with Burrows and Higgins, that'll be impressive. I think management and fans would gladly take a 20 goal 30 assist season from Bonino anchoring the 2nd line.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Early days but Bonino has been a good pick up. He needs to improve in FO for sure. That whole line would be a good shut down line as well and it appeared Willie tried to match them up whenever he could against Ovi.

If they keep producing, get stronger in the FO I could see them getting the role to match up against the oppositions number one line on a regular basis. This would really support the twins.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Markstrom posted his 3rd shutout of the season. His GAA is .25. He is playing like he doesn't want to stay in the AHL. He is going to make it interesting. Do we keep Lack, or Markstrom? Markstrom's big knock is that his NHL numbers really do suck, but so far, it looks like he's made huge strides in the offseason.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Nick Bonino. 3g 4a. 7pts
Yeah, so far Bonino has filled in admirably for Kes on the 2nd line, at least on the score sheet. Bones obviously doesn't have the two-way game, edge and face-off prowess of Kes, but hopefully other guys can step up in that dept. Trade is looking good right now, we not losing much subbing in Bones for Kes and we get a servicable D-man (Sbisa) and a good prospect (McCann) out of it.

Gotta say this too, with Kes and Lou out of the picture, the team is looking more like a team again. It's nice to have a bunch of guys who are happy to be here, no disgruntled players and no controversies. While we may not have the elite talent anymore (Sedins, Lou, Kes in their primes), we have some star players who are a little older, a bunch of decently talented guy who will work hard most nites and they will battle hard for each other. Sometimes that's all u need to have a pretty good season.

Tciso wrote:Markstrom posted his 3rd shutout of the season. His GAA is .25. He is playing like he doesn't want to stay in the AHL. He is going to make it interesting. Do we keep Lack, or Markstrom? Markstrom's big knock is that his NHL numbers really do suck, but so far, it looks like he's made huge strides in the offseason.
Nice to see Marky Mark not sulk, go down and let his play do the talking. Yeah, he may not be out of the mix and his buddy Lack Attack Pack might have to watch over his shoulder. If worst comes to worst, hopefully we can trade Marky for a good pick or a decent prospect. :D