Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: Cant see the leaves letting their best d-man walk for only 3.2...
$3.3 :hmmm:

Like I say, it doesn't matter, we achieve the desired effect(s).

BTW most Leaf fans consider Franson their 4th best D-man (Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Gardiner).

Okay, some value him very slightly more than Gunnar.

Personally, considering quality + prospective cap-hits in the now and the near future

... and Canucks needs, sure I'd probably take Franson over any of those guys.

But hey, I like assholes and I want a Cup sooner than later. :mrgreen:
Seriously though, Dion is likely the most overpaid player in the bigs. If not the most then damn close to the top anyways. Jake is still way too wet behind the ears and Gunnarsson is a steady Eddy type.
From my outside perspective Cody is easily their best player...on ice and on paper

Edit-best Defenseman
If you need air...call it in
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Strangelove wrote:And eye sockets.
I remember :evil:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: I'm pretty sure it wasn't the media who crushed us in the first round two years in a row.
So because we were crushed in the playoffs two years in a row we go from elite to non-elite? :roll:

WAY too much emphasis is put on those crushings by the media and hockey fans in general.

A natural human reaction one supposes....

Ummm try to be superhuman mmmmmKAY? :scowl:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Unless the guys in the striped shirts during the Sharks series were media... :evil:
THERE!

Trust it Rummy TRUST IT!!

Deep down you know your Vancouver Canucks are a much better team than their last 2 playoff series suggest.

Take advantage of the Vegas odds and bet your house on your Vancouver Canucks! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

:lol:

As far as deadline aquisitions go, I'd rather try to fill the 3C slot there, as it's not that tough to do.

Elite wingers aren't readily available and you have to give to get... Burrows and Bieksa are two core guys I'd rather part with than the alternatives.

Bieksa has his moments but he fucks up more than any of our top-six defensemen.* Burrows is Burrows and I love the guy when he's not biting people, but his best days are behind him and we need OFFENSE. Nowhere near enough skill in our top six right now.

*keep in mind the Torster hates mistakes
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Elite wingers aren't readily available and you have to give to get... Burrows and Bieksa are two core guys I'd rather part with than the alternatives.
Lemmee get this straight, you wanna trade elite winger Burrows for an elite winger? :crazy:

Over the last 5 seasons only one Canuck has scored more goals than Burrows:

Daniel 143 + 18 = 161

Burrows 140 + 18 = 158

NO ONE IS EVEN IN THE BALLPARK AFTER THOSE TWO.

And Burrows doesn't see much #1 PP time.

No way do you trade a heart & soul guy like Burrows (gives Topper dirty look).

Madness....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Now Bieksa I would trade if we could pick up a bigger tougher RH-shot top-4 dee.

Good luck widdat!

Mind you I have a feeling that under Torts, Kev will focus on less mistakes and more fighting.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Remember the rumoured Burrows-Bieksa for Hedman draft day deal that Burke later leaked.

Or was he just spreading rumours to slander the character of the players and teams involved.?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Speaking of Burke and slander.... :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Burrows is not an elite winger, and I think you know that Doc. He plays with the two best passers in the Conference and is a terrific defensive player who scores big goals.... but he really isn't that offensively talented and he isn't tough and the refs fucking hate him. He'll be 33 this season as well...

Like I said, love the guy... but the core needs a shakeup and he's a good place to start.
Last edited by Rumsfeld on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Rumsfeld wrote:
And I'm pretty sure it wasn't the media who crushed us in the first round two years in a row.

You're right, that honor goes to the teams' dear departed media darling of a coach.

In the last 14 playoff games (after getting that 2-0 lead against the Bruins in the SCF)

Lost players to injury, so did the opposition - their coach adjusted and won.

Self admission that he wasn't ready to face the Kings

Obvious glaring mistakes in all 4 games against the SJ, from line up decisions, players out at the wrong times, goaltending...etc the list goes on.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

So Doc, who WOULD you trade?

You've said you want to keep the Sedins, and you seem appalled at the notion of moving Burrows.

Kesler is our best forward when healthy and he's finally healthy, not to mention very affordable for what he can bring.

Trading Hamhuis or Garrison is pure foolishness and Edler, who admittedly had a bad year, is our most talented defenseman and a guy who might really benefit from a new system.

Now you've been very vocal about getting bigger tougher meaner and Gillis needing to make bold moves... do you think getting tougher on the 4th line or third pairing means diddley fuck to a team's success? Every NHL team has size and toughness in those positions.

The team needs a change on the front lines and I don't see how we can do that when the only players you're willing to part with play on the bottom six and the third pairing.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

I'm with Rummy here. The team needs more changes than just coaching. One thing though...I wouldn't actually exclude trading Kesler.

Yes he is a valuable player but the refs hate him as well and he has shown a propensity of late to spend way too much time out of the line up.

The return on a trade or 2 involving Kesler/Burrows/Bieksa could be massive if Gillis keeps his cards close to his chest. With the 2 excellent young centre prospects VCR has acquired I can see a potential opportunity to re-tool/re-build this team on the fly while shipping off some declining assets that we've likely seen the best out of.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The problem with trading Kes is that he's one of the few forwards on the team who actually emulates the hard-nosed style we all want to play.

But for the right return I'd trade anybody.

*kicks Gillis in the nuts for trading Cory*
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Rumsfeld wrote:The problem with trading Kes is that he's one of the few forwards on the team who actually emulates the hard-nosed style we all want to play.

But for the right return I'd trade anybody.

*kicks Gillis in the nuts for trading Cory*
It all boils down to what you get back I suppose.

Horvat sounds like an excellent start...considering we needed a player like him in our system much more than a second #1 'tender.

I just wish it was Luongo who was the one who brought Bo to VCR