Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we are going to see a kinder, gentler version of Torts for at least half a season?
with a lousy press gallery that Vancouvers got ? Not much hope . and the first biggie will be .. Why aren't we winning games?
He will probably treat that one diplomatically ( Not good to blame the boss ya knpw? ).. I figure he'll lose his cool in the locker room about 60 days in.. and blow up the press in 90 ..
He took on a losing proposition.. the team has not been improved.. he lost 1/2 of his goaltending ( which was the main reason the Canucks won a lot of games).. and the division is going to a lot tougher this year.. a No Win situation

About the only thing to be excited about this season is going to be the press conferences when Torts finally loses his cool..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

It's going to be tough sledding for a while. Much will depend on Luongo, right side D, whether guys like Kassian & Hansen can take it to the next level, & prospects progress. Once again, the local media will push for answers on what will constitute a successful season.

In theory, Torts will be Gillis advocate, but Torts & Gillis are under different pressures. Torts is smart enough to know he can use the media to his advantage while Gillis tries to save his own ass.

The potential machinations are diabolical. Gonna be plenty to hold our interest this season, without the need for hyperbole from flatulent forum posters.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Tiger wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Am I the only one that thinks we are going to see a kinder, gentler version of Torts for at least half a season?
He took on a losing proposition.. the team has not been improved.. he lost 1/2 of his goaltending ( which was the main reason the Canucks won a lot of games).. and the division is going to a lot tougher this year.. a No Win situation
Am I the only one that thinks a healthy Kesler, Booth and Bieksa, the loss of a distraction (goaltending controversy), a full 82-game season, and a new voice behind the bench might actually have a positive impact??

You're bitching like we're the fucking Flames, Tiger. Only one goalie can play at a time, and one of them was bound to be traded, so losing 1/2 of the goaltending was in the cards for whoever coaches the team.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tiger wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks a healthy Kesler, Booth and Bieksa, the loss of a distraction (goaltending controversy), a full 82-game season, and a new voice behind the bench might actually have a positive impact??

You're bitching like we're the fucking Flames, Tiger. Only one goalie can play at a time, and one of them was bound to be traded, so losing 1/2 of the goaltending was in the cards for whoever coaches the team.
Yep I noticed that they only put 1 goaltender on the ice in a game.. amazing isn't it ? However I think we are still saddled with the wrong 1/2 .. Maybe you haven't noticed in the last few years Luongo is a slow starter every season. Don't expect any difference this season. I also happened to notice that the twins are not improving with age.. A healthy 2nd line and a new coach may offset a slower 1st line but a tougher division will make the going a bit tougher.. There have been no additions to the team that look like game breakers and our D didn't get any better.. So put on your rose colored glasses if you like.. But this years edition is not a Stanley cup winner and I doubt it will win the division ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Kellan Lain has signed a 2 year, $600,000k per year deal with the #Canucks @TEAM1040 as per capgeek

I think our 4th line should be set now with either
Sestito, Richardson(C), Lain(C), Gaunce(C), and Weise.

Lain might have to switch to wing if Richardson is the key cog for the 4th line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Love to see a link to that.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/05/02/116665/
Something very strange - I googled Cory Schneider Panic Attacks and there were several hits to the Botchford article on Jan. 17, 2013, but all the links were dead and the article didn't show up on any news site. So it looks like someone removed the article. But here is the text of the original article :http://canucksarmy.com/2013/1/17/cory-s ... of-anxiety

Its very important to note the date there. Schneider didn't come out and say this until January 17, 2013. After he'd signed his big-money extension and supposedly been given the reins.

Two days later, in his first game as The Starter, he gives up 5 goals on 14 shots.
Topper wrote:laughably close with the King Richard and Kaptain Kirk effects
Definitely true with Richard, though I considered Kirk to have been a top goalie of his era (or is that just my own nostalgia?).

At any event, I wouldn't trade this team today for the 1982 Canucks.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

SKYO wrote:Kellan Lain has signed a 2 year, $600,000k per year deal with the #Canucks @TEAM1040 as per capgeek

I think our 4th line should be set now with either
Sestito, Richardson(C), Lain(C), Gaunce(C), and Weise.

Lain might have to switch to wing if Richardson is the key cog for the 4th line.
How do we end up with two Kellans in the system? Lain and Tochkin. One more, and we will have a complete Kellan Line. :D

Lain is a big boy, and I hope he can transition from college to the NHL. but, he could easily spend the year in the AHL. But, I'd love to see him make the team, and provide a true big body on the 4th line.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Dave Gagner has described Lain as a “big, strong, detailed player; wins face-offs, finishes checks, plays with an edge, is hard on his opponents and skates well too.”

That sounds pretty much ideal for the 4th line.

His college coach has said that he’s skinny for a 220 pound guy. If he put on 20 or so pounds of muscle and develops into an NHLer…watch out!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:His college coach has said that he’s skinny for a 220 pound guy. If he put on 20 or so pounds of muscle and develops into an NHLer…watch out!
bean pole from the pics I've seen.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:His college coach has said that he’s skinny for a 220 pound guy. If he put on 20 or so pounds of muscle and develops into an NHLer…watch out!
bean pole from the pics I've seen.
Yup, but so is Kesler and he’s been a pretty successful NHL centre (albeit with injury concerns).

Lain will be 24 when camp opens. He’s no longer a kid and I hope he is taking the physical fitness side of things seriously this summer and comes to camp in the kind of shape and with the kind of mass that he’ll need over a 80+ game AHL/NHL season.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Kesler is pretty jacked for a beanpole.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Oh, Kesler’s definitely in fantastic shape, don’t get me wrong, but he strikes me as a guy who is naturally skinny and has to work hard to keep weight on. He’s a lean guy.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

herb wrote:Oh, Kesler’s definitely in fantastic shape, don’t get me wrong, but he strikes me as a guy who is naturally skinny and has to work hard to keep weight on. He’s a lean guy.
ie. Trevor Linden
darren
CC Veteran

Post by darren »

Mondi wrote: But, this player has saved his worst games in his career for the biggest games in his career.....etc, etc ad nauseam.
"a fanatic is a man who can't change his mind and won't change the subject."
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Rumsfeld wrote: Should happen, I dunno... around mid-April?
Mid-April, mid-April...what's so significant about that date?? Ah yes, that's when Schneider will be in a long playoff run as starter (after winning 2 games in a postseason for the first time in his career) and Luongo will be back to the back-up role or will have lost a first round series for the first time in his career.

Because that's where we're going to be in mid-April, right? Then Rummy is proven right?

Seems likely.