Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ClamRussel »

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:You don't make the dance at .500 anymore, those days went bye-bye w/ the addition of the loser point rule.
Uh, look at their schedule. They played their first nine games on the road due to renos at MSG. Playing five games at the start against WC teams where they went 1-4. They were on the road over almost a month. That was unusual. To finish with .500 after being put in a tough spots shows that they were trending upwards down the stretch. It's not surprising they are still in the Playoffs. 8-)
Uh, welcome to the Western Conference. Travel here isn't the cupcake party that it is in the east.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:You don't make the dance at .500 anymore, those days went bye-bye w/ the addition of the loser point rule.
Uh, look at their schedule. They played their first nine games on the road due to renos at MSG. Playing five games at the start against WC teams where they went 1-4. They were on the road over almost a month. That was unusual. To finish with .500 after being put in a tough spots shows that they were trending upwards down the stretch. It's not surprising they are still in the Playoffs. 8-)
Uh, welcome to the Western Conference. Travel here isn't the cupcake party that it is in the east.
No team goes on a nine team road trip to start the season, and was on the road throughout the pre-season including playing a pre-season game across the continent in Vancouver. You name me one WC team this year that faced that travel schedule at any point in the season before you come back and respond to me.

Capiche? 8-)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:Uh, look at their schedule. They played their first nine games on the road due to renos at MSG. Playing five games at the start against WC teams where they went 1-4. They were on the road over almost a month. That was unusual. To finish with .500 after being put in a tough spots shows that they were trending upwards down the stretch. It's not surprising they are still in the Playoffs. 8-)
No team goes on a nine team road trip to start the season, and was on the road throughout the pre-season including playing a pre-season game across the continent in Vancouver. You name me one WC team this year that faced that travel schedule at any point in the season before you come back and respond to me.

Capiche? 8-)
Ducks started last season w/ an 8-game road trip. :roll:

A few yrs back the Canucks set a record with FOURTEEN!

The West isn't Kansas, Dorothy.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:No team goes on a nine team road trip to start the season, and was on the road throughout the pre-season including playing a pre-season game across the continent in Vancouver. You name me one WC team this year that faced that travel schedule at any point in the season before you come back and respond to me.

Capiche? 8-)

#VERIFIED Link please. 8-)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:No team goes on a nine team road trip to start the season, and was on the road throughout the pre-season including playing a pre-season game across the continent in Vancouver. You name me one WC team this year that faced that travel schedule at any point in the season before you come back and respond to me.

Capiche? 8-)

#VERIFIED Link please. 8-)
Sheesh :lol: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678529
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ClamRussel wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Ducks started last season w/ an 8-game road trip. :roll:

Sheesh :lol: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=678529
LOL ... from your article:
Not-so-great eight: The Anaheim Ducks have the next-longest trip, an eight-game journey from Oct. 22 through Nov. 4, all in the Eastern time zone.
Note that ALL games the Ducks were involved in were in the Eastern time zone. While the NYR started their nine game road trip in the West before finishing off their final four traveling back to the east. They went from coast to coast. Lest we forget, they played all six pre-season games on the road, which would break the "Canucks Record" of fourteen games by having played their first 15 games on the road! 8-)
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Did you know he's a teecher?

:lol:
a tech-cher

:lol:

Betamax wrote:What happens @ the library stays in the library. Milan Lucic would agree with that. 8-)
*haha* Guess that guy is going to beat me up next season. :lol:
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Sat May 17, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Canucks sign Anton Cederholm. Linden must be pretty high on this kid. Why wouldn't he wait for the new GM to sign a prospect?

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=720035
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Jovocop wrote:Canucks sign Anton Cederholm. Linden must be pretty high on this kid. Why wouldn't he wait for the new GM to sign a prospect?

Scouting staff have been high on this kid going back to the Gillis days, so they obviously kept up the pursuit. Hopefully this administration will follow in Gillis' footsteps with these kinds of low risk signings because as we know first hand, you can find some pretty nice players this way.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:Canucks sign Anton Cederholm. Linden must be pretty high on this kid. Why wouldn't he wait for the new GM to sign a prospect?

Gilman was the contracts guy under MG so this is a no brainier, get it done.
The only HW the Canucks need
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

$lacker wrote:

Scouting staff have been high on this kid going back to the Gillis days, so they obviously kept up the pursuit. Hopefully this administration will follow in Gillis' footsteps with these kinds of low risk signings because as we know first hand, you can find some pretty nice players this way.
The kid has impressed the organization pretty much since he was drafted - especially his physical attributes. The kid is an ox out there who plays a physical shut-down style. He may well end up as nothing better than a good 6th defenceman who can contribute on the PK. That's not bad for a 5th round pick - especially if he can make life miserable for the likes of Perry or Kane.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

AHL signing. This kid is molasses slow and that's not really how the league is trending on the blueline these days.

I'm gonna be really disappointed if Horvat doesn't make and stick with the team this season. One of the big selling points on this kid was that he was physically ready for the NHL compared to his peers and defensively responsible enough for the big leagues.

I mean, I expect him to stick, but if he can't make an in-all-likelihood shallow Canucks forward group it would cast some aspersions on the pick IMO.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Rumsfeld wrote:AHL signing. This kid is molasses slow and that's not really how the league is trending on the blueline these days.
Gotta hope the kid will become closer to a Douglas Murrary rather than Daniel Rahimi ..... 8-)
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Rumsfeld wrote:...I expect him to stick, but if he can't make an in-all-likelihood shallow Canucks forward group it would cast some aspersions on the pick IMO.
"in-all-likelihood'?

Are you of mind that Benning intends or go with the status-quo, or fails to improve the forward depth over the next 3+ months?
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

BladesofSteel wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:...I expect him to stick, but if he can't make an in-all-likelihood shallow Canucks forward group it would cast some aspersions on the pick IMO.
"in-all-likelihood'?

Are you of mind that Benning intends or go with the status-quo, or fails to improve the forward depth over the next 3+ months?
I'm of the mind that what Benning SHOULD do is get younger, and I highly doubt Kesler is here to start the season.

No idea what we decide with Santorelli... if he wants a huge raise I say let him walk.

So yeah, I'm thinking the Brass will have a roster spot penciled in for Horvat before training camp even starts.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society