Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by damonberryman »

Hockey Widow wrote:Talking to a friend tonight. Canucks have had semi-serious discussions with a number of teams involving a D and another top six. But Benning isn't ready to part with high picks or "A" prospects, just like he wasn't over the summer.

So it seems there is no panic in his game.

Don't have any gossip about who the talks are with or what players are being discussed other that it doesn't involve E Kane. He is now off the table having made peace in Winnipeg as he see the playoffs as a real possibility. So he is happy for the moment.

Benning was apparently made offers for Stanton, Sbisa and Tanev. He is not willing to trade any of them, at least not now. He is satisfied with their play and I would have to guess he wasn't offered enough to make him change his mind.

Kesler is NOT missed. The dressing room is described as quiet, non confrontational and fun again.
I enjoy the hell out of your posts Widow. Keep em coming
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

HW, I suspect some of those inquiries would be circling vultures, but for the most part would be GM's laying ground work and opening discussion. I'm GMJB can spot the differences from the sources.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Topper wrote:HW, I suspect some of those inquiries would be circling vultures, but for the most part would be GM's laying ground work and opening discussion. I'm GMJB can spot the differences from the sources.
Ya, I think it's just everyday stuff that good GMs engage in. I think Bennng is very very active on the phones and is probably always so. And it appears there is nothing imminent on the Canuck front. To me that is the good part. He isn!t willing to sacrifice the future, at least at this point. Who knows come the trade deadline.
The only HW the Canucks need
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

damonberryman wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Talking to a friend tonight. Canucks have had semi-serious discussions with a number of teams involving a D and another top six. But Benning isn't ready to part with high picks or "A" prospects, just like he wasn't over the summer.

So it seems there is no panic in his game.

Don't have any gossip about who the talks are with or what players are being discussed other that it doesn't involve E Kane. He is now off the table having made peace in Winnipeg as he see the playoffs as a real possibility. So he is happy for the moment.

Benning was apparently made offers for Stanton, Sbisa and Tanev. He is not willing to trade any of them, at least not now. He is satisfied with their play and I would have to guess he wasn't offered enough to make him change his mind.

Kesler is NOT missed. The dressing room is described as quiet, non confrontational and fun again.
I enjoy the hell out of your posts Widow. Keep em coming
Brownnoserman.... ;)
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Mondi wrote:And, I don't really know anything about Meyers, but short of Benning thinking he is the next Chara, I wouldn't acquire that player. If for some reason Benning thinks Myers is Chara, then I'd give up any player or prospect on the team. (No, I don't think Benning believes that is the case).
Is Myers really much less of a project than Sbisa is at this point?
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Mondi wrote:And, I don't really know anything about Meyers, but short of Benning thinking he is the next Chara, I wouldn't acquire that player. If for some reason Benning thinks Myers is Chara, then I'd give up any player or prospect on the team. (No, I don't think Benning believes that is the case).
Is Myers really much less of a project than Sbisa is at this point?
Sbisa is a young Bieksa with bonehead plays at times. However, Sbisa brings toughness that this team sorely lacks.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:Sbisa is a young Bieksa with bonehead plays at times. However, Sbisa brings toughness that this team sorely lacks.
I have been enjoying some of the physicality Sbisa brings to the rink. He's not huge, but he plays big.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Canucks trade Mallett and a 2015 3rd round pick to Islanders for 6'05" D man Andrey Pedan.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... pid=130563
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Interesting. Apparently he is a big meanie as well. Although with time spent in the ECHL this year, I sure hope Jim Benning sees something in him that the Islanders don't..
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Especially since we sweetened the pot with a 3rd
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

dbr wrote:Interesting. Apparently he is a big meanie as well. Although with time spent in the ECHL this year, I sure hope Jim Benning sees something in him that the Islanders don't..
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/andrei_pedan/

Project. Plays big, mean and tough. Hampered first two years with an upper body injury. Projected 4-6 on depth chart. If nothing else Benning is trying to shore up defensive depth in the system. Traded a player that was never going to crack our line up but did have to give up a 3rd, although I thought we gave that to Anaheim. Must check my facts.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

A cookie in the cupboard.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Pick is a 2016 3rd according to TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-acquire-d-ped ... k-1.144296
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

I'm glad ol' JB reads my posts :thumbs:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

It's a 2016 3rd round pick. That means Anaheim has our 2015 3rd and the Islanders have our 2016 3rd.

At least he isn't trading 2nds. I think the trade was for the pick with Mallet being the throw in to even out our contracts.

In other news Markstrom injured, that other one time goalie of the future recalled from ECHL. Injury described as minor, day to day.