Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Cornuck »

Canucks claim Brandon McMillan off waivers. Smallish winger who doesn't score in the AHL, never mind the NHL. WTF?
Stats @ hockeydb: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=96673
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Trade bait?
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Caman, this is going to be the new #1 line next year! We can finally jettison those damn twisted sisters.

HMV -> Higgins/McMillan/Vey

Music to my ears.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Is Bonino gone for longer than we think?
Maybe, but if so I'd rather give Jensen, Shink and Gaunce some time with the big club than this dude.

I hope the pro scouts know something about this guy the stats aren't telling us...

Edit: McMillan could be a guy Benning is hoping to sneak down to Utica at some point to help bolster their playoff run.

Also of note is that Richardson and Bonino have both been spotted in walking boots.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

herb wrote:.

Edit: McMillan could be a guy Benning is hoping to sneak down to Utica at some point to help bolster their playoff run.
with those stats i don't think they'll have to be that sneaky about it
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dangler wrote: with those stats i don't think they'll have to be that sneaky about it
True dat
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

herb wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:Is Bonino gone for longer than we think?
Maybe, but if so I'd rather give Jensen, Shink and Gaunce some time with the big club than this dude.
Maybe one of those guys are on their way up with McMillan taking their spot on the Comets.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Sneaky tanking right under our noses
If you need air...call it in
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

vic wrote: Maybe one of those guys are on their way up with McMillan taking their spot on the Comets.
Can the Coyotes claim McMillan back if the Canucks are trying to send him down??
Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
New #Canucks forward Brandon McMillan played under his new coach W.Desjardins at 2010 World Junior tourney. Played on top line with Eberle.
Oh no, Vey no. 2... :roll:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Jovocop wrote: Brad Ziemer ‏@BradZiemer
New #Canucks forward Brandon McMillan played under his new coach W.Desjardins at 2010 World Junior tourney. Played on top line with Eberle.

Oh no, Vey no. 2... :roll:
LOL. Exactly.

I hope McMillan is as small, weak and a tweener as the golden boy Vey. I'm telling you... HMV is going to rock the house.

Kassian can give WD the most consistent bjs and likely still nothing would change. They might as well hire his brother full time to be his psychiatrist.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Obviously McMillan will start in the AHL for the Nucks, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got called up at some time. Watched him play for the Rockets awhile ago. Hard to value him as an NHLer, but you never know.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

For the Canucks to send him to Utica he would need to be placed on waivers again so I don't think it happens right away. Word is Bonino is at least out for the next 10 days and no word on when Richardson will be back. Hard to imagine there were not stronger choices for call up but it is what it is.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

McMillan will be the 13th forward until one of Bonino/Richardson come back.

Then Kenins will be the 13th forward until the other one of Bonino/Richardson comes back.

Maybe Kenins gets benched in favour of McMillan for a few games?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

herb wrote:Canucks claim Brandon McMillan off waivers. Smallish winger who doesn't score in the AHL, never mind the NHL. WTF?
Great, just what we needed. Another forward for Willie D to scratch Big Zack in favour for. Willie D will say some shit like, oh, we gotta see what McMillan can give us. With Zack's luck, MacMillan will score a couple of goals in consecutive games. :(
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Benning on 1040 today:

On Kane, a local boy, he did his due diligence and would love to have brought him home. Had good discussions with Chevy and a potential for a deal was there but Chevy sent him a text Wednesday morning saying they were involved in a bigger multi player trade. Canucks not interested in that so it ruled them out. They were interested if it was Kane as the centre piece.

Ok MacMillan, loves his day to day work ethic, can play centre or wing and kills penalties. Wanted to add to the 22-26 age group and had to compensate for rash of injuries. Will start for Canucks next game and they go from there.

On UFA and RFA, have to sit down as a management group before TDD and determine who fits in the long term plan. Those that don't they will see about moving. Those that do they want to start contract negotiations with. As a management team they have a strong sense of both the short term and long term plan but as individual players go they need to hold those discussions.

Tanev, fits the long term plan as part of the core moving forwRd. Discussions with agent have been productive, everyone on the same page. Hopeful a deal gets done sooner rather than later. Optimistic it gets done well before the draft if not sooner.

On goalies, hard to trade for value mid season as most teams set. Thinks he can get a better deal before draft than mid season but will continue to hold discussions on moving one of Lack or Markstrom before the start of next season. Hope he realizes Markstrom is UFA :mrgreen: Sounds like GM skeak but the sense is he knows he had to move one and is holding out for the best deal, alone or as part of package.

On getting trades done, a lot of GMs are spooked because of the Canadian dollar and not having cap certainty for next year. No one wants to take a contract with term because of that. Hopes it will shake loose by TDD.

Wants to make some moves but hasn't, obviously, had a deal he likes. Will keep working the phones. Wants to keep adding players in the 22-26 age range, add players for the playoff push and hopefully the playoffs. Will not sacrifice the future to pick up older players or rentals. Has to meet the above criteria.

On injuries, Richardson was originally day to day with a foot injury but has not responded yet. No time table for return. Could be tomorrow could be 3 weeks. Hopes to have a better idea soon. Bonino same thing. Thinks it could be 2-3 weeks but not sure. Corrado has an upper body injury and is day to day. Not sure exactly what is going on with him.

On the Jeykl and Hyde personality of the team, can't explain it. Certainly recent I juries have created part of the situation but it is perplexing. Wants more consistency all round. Overall they have gotten from the group what they anticipated, no big surprises. Moving forward the emphasis is getting more players throughout the organization in that age group of 22-26, he mentions that a lot.

Not a lot new but he is consistent with his message. Feeling I got was that if an Evander Kane type comes available he would move on it but would not sacrifice the future so it's nonsense to think he would give up all of the top prospect to but I can see him parting with one of them and some lesser prospects/roster players.

Nothing new on trying to move up in the draft. Unless the NHL confirms cap for next season it could be a slow TDD.
The only HW the Canucks need