Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nuckster
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by nuckster »

Mëds wrote:
dbr wrote: That being said what I can't really recall is hearing of a prospect signed in the middle of a season like this. Given that USA Hockey just named their final WJC training camp roster and Cassels was not on it, one has to wonder whether this contract was seen as a vote of confidence and a bit of a consolation prize for the young player.
In that case what do the Canucks give Gaunce? A paid trip to Tahiti for Christmas? :P
I don't know what to make of Gaunce. So much was made about him initially, but his damn foot-speed is like ...what? Now he didn't make it onto the WJ team. Not a promising sign from one who was so highly touted a year ago or so. BUT, in spite of this kind of speculation, didn't Erie of the OHL seek him out in a trade just recently? What do they see that's not readily apparent to the unaware west coast arm chair speculator? `Southern Canuck' might have some insight to offer here since he's on top of the prospect scene more than most?
cc oldtimer
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

From the limited amount I have seen of his play, Gaunce is a fundamentals player. Rock solid with little flash but reliably gets it done.

For now I'm not concerned.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

nuckster wrote:
Mëds wrote:
dbr wrote: That being said what I can't really recall is hearing of a prospect signed in the middle of a season like this. Given that USA Hockey just named their final WJC training camp roster and Cassels was not on it, one has to wonder whether this contract was seen as a vote of confidence and a bit of a consolation prize for the young player.
In that case what do the Canucks give Gaunce? A paid trip to Tahiti for Christmas? :P
I don't know what to make of Gaunce. So much was made about him initially, but his damn foot-speed is like ...what? Now he didn't make it onto the WJ team. Not a promising sign from one who was so highly touted a year ago or so. BUT, in spite of this kind of speculation, didn't Erie of the OHL seek him out in a trade just recently? What do they see that's not readily apparent to the unaware west coast arm chair speculator? `Southern Canuck' might have some insight to offer here since he's on top of the prospect scene more than most?
I haven't seen him play other than a couple of pre-season and camp highlights. Is is speed really that bad, or is it just average?

All I've read about him on here is that he projects as a third line center, and honestly if he's got average speed that isn't the end of the world if he's smart enough to make up for it positionally and play a more physical game. Speed is nice though when you want a third line that can get in on the forecheck and quickly recover.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Edler out indefinitely, Alberts slots in.. :o

Can see what life will be like on the Canucks without the mighty Alexander Edler.

Garrison Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa
Stanton Alberts

Although I'd 100x prefer to see Corrado called up, I think he alongside Garrison would be a deadleh combo.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Makes one miss KB4. :P
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:Edler out indefinitely, Alberts slots in.. :o

Can see what life will be like on the Canucks without the mighty Alexander Edler.

Garrison Tanev
Hamhuis Bieksa
Stanton Alberts

Although I'd 100x prefer to see Corrado called up, I think he alongside Garrison would be a deadleh combo.
Yeah, replacing Edler with Alberts will only make Edler look invaluable.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote: Appreciate your reasoned responses there Mr. Bersnoozi!
If he likes you he calls you mister.

It's a ster thing.

Todd is nothing if not reasoned.

Hmmm... Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce, Schroeder... the future looks bright at centre.

That's right: Schroeder! Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:Makes one miss KB4. :P
Oh no you didn't :shock:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Strangelove wrote:
nuckster wrote: Appreciate your reasoned responses there Mr. Bersnoozi!
If he likes you he calls you mister.

It's a ster thing.

Todd is nothing if not reasoned.

Hmmm... Horvat, Cassels, Gaunce, Schroeder... the future looks bright at centre.

That's right: Schroeder! Image
Quite a memory there Mr. Strangelove! I'm not usually driven to 'ster' the pot ... just smoke a little now and again. I'm usually content with my 'lurker' status - life gets pretty busy sometimes.

In all seriousness, does anyone know what has happened with Donny (Lever)? I recall reading a post somewhere along the line that mentioned 'RIP' in reference to Donnie and I thought WTF?; I didn't have time at the time to follow it up.
cc oldtimer
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

He became disenfranchised..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I heard he was traded to the leaves for future considerations and the NHL is still trying to figure out the trade call. Might just be a rumour though!
The only HW the Canucks need
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

nuckster wrote:BUT, in spite of this kind of speculation, didn't Erie of the OHL seek him out in a trade just recently?
Yeah, I noticed that Gaunce got traded to the otters too. Too bad, guess he won't be playing with our other prospect Jordan Subban anymore.

herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Too bad, guess he won't be playing with our other prospect Jordan Subban anymore.

Too bad?? Yeah, too bad Gaunce has been traded from one of the worst teams in the OHL to the best. It really is a shame now that he'll be competing for a Memorial Cup instead of trying to keep a crappy team afloat. That can't possibly be good for his development... :lol:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

herb wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Too bad, guess he won't be playing with our other prospect Jordan Subban anymore.

Too bad?? Yeah, too bad Gaunce has been traded from one of the worst teams in the OHL to the best. It really is a shame now that he'll be competing for a Memorial Cup instead of trying to keep a crappy team afloat. That can't possibly be good for his development... :lol:
The only shame is that Subban didn't come with him. Who knows, perhaps if he was on the Otters all season he might be on the WJ squad. Look forward to seeing how he competes in their run.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
$lacker
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by $lacker »

Not sure how many of you have seen this or if it's even on the boards yet, but I'm pretty excited to see the final product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4AwAYWUwUE