Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

herb wrote:Sounds like Kesler, Raymond, Ballard and Weise all skated and ran through some drills together this morning and Ballard participated in the morning skate. 8-)
I wonder if Vigneault noticed or asked how he was doing?

Maybe he just giggled.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Brendan Gaunce had a really good playoffs game last night.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/vide ... 6fee7bf3ce

I just can't wait to see a line with Jensen / Gaunce / Kassian...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Jovocop wrote:Brendan Gaunce had a really good playoffs game last night.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/vide ... 6fee7bf3ce

I just can't wait to see a line with Jensen / Gaunce / Kassian...
I know it's early, but Gaunce is looking like a beauty pick!

He has 5 goals, 10 assists and 15 points in 9 playoff games so far. He's tied for second in OHL playoff scoring with the very highly hyped Mark Scheifele. Belleville is currently up 3-0 in their 7 game series against Sudbury.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

20 year old defensive prospect Frankie Corrado has been assigned to the Chicago Wolves. Corrado's Kitchener Rangers were eliminated from the OHL playoffs on Friday.

Chicago has four regular season games remaining...looking forward to hearing about how Frankie looks in his first pro games!

Of note: Chicago's regular season is over on April 21st, and it is looking like they may not make the playoffs. Canucks regular season is not over until the 27th. Look for a bunch of youngsters to get called up after the 21st if Chicago is eliminated. Schroeder, Jensen, Corrado and Vandermeer for sure.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:20 year old defensive prospect Frankie Corrado has been assigned to the Chicago Wolves. Corrado's Kitchener Rangers were eliminated from the OHL playoffs on Friday.

Chicago has four regular season games remaining...looking forward to hearing about how Frankie looks in his first pro games!

Of note: Chicago's regular season is over on April 21st, and it is looking like they may not make the playoffs. Canucks regular season is not over until the 27th. Look for a bunch of youngsters to get called up after the 21st if Chicago is eliminated. Schroeder, Jensen, Corrado and Vandermeer for sure.

The Canucks can't expand their roster by much until their regular season is over, no?
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:The Canucks can't expand their roster by much until their regular season is over, no?
I seem to always get this mixed up, but I thought the roster limit was gone after the trade deadline?

Edit:
23-man Roster
There may be a maximum of 23 players on each Club's playing roster at any one time from the commencement of the NHL regular season through the trade deadline. Prior to the start of the season, each Club must submit to the NHL its "Opening Day Playing Roster" which shall be comprised of not more than 23 players. Each Club must have a roster of at least 20 players, composed of 18 skaters and two goaltenders. Players on Injured Reserve do not count in the 23-man limit.
Source: http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377#roster
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya I'm also thinking of the cap. No cap once season is over.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya I'm also thinking of the cap. No cap once season is over.
Fair enough. Capgeek says we have exactly $0 cap space. NHLnumbers says we have $1.4M in space. Reality is probably somewhere in between.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

herb wrote:
Fair enough. Capgeek says we have exactly $0 cap space. NHLnumbers says we have $1.4M in space. Reality is probably somewhere in between.
If Capgeek is right, Gilman must be a genius. He used up the cap til the last cent. :lol:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovocop wrote:
herb wrote:
If Capgeek is right, Gilman must be a genius. He used up the cap til the last cent. :lol:
If we have no space left it probably means we're taking advantage of the LTIR.

CapGeek says we are using $95,000 of our LTIR, so we are actually over the cap but we're allowed to be because of injuries.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

D'man Joslin recalled from Worcester Sharks.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666279

Tells me neither Bieksa nor Tanev ready to go.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Hockey Widow wrote:D'man Joslin recalled from Worcester Sharks.
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666279

Tells me neither Bieksa nor Tanev ready to go.
Tells me nobody on the Wolves are either. :lol:

Methinks Bieksa is being shut down for the rest of the regular season at least. At this point, there is no reason to take anything but a safe approach with both Tanev and Bieksa. Hammer and Garrison better be ready to keep eating minutes, and hopefully Edler has woken up now that he has no safety net to his right.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

What happened to vandermere ??
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

ukcanuck wrote:What happened to vandermere ??
Good question. :|

Wouldn't he be a welcome addition to the bottom pairing against some of the teams Vancouver could face in a couple weeks' time?

In a couple weeks ' time, this may all be academic with the capnot a factor and the Wolves' season likely done.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Lancer wrote:
ukcanuck wrote:What happened to Jim Vandermere ??
Good question. :|

Wouldn't he be a welcome addition to the bottom pairing against some of the teams Vancouver could face in a couple weeks' time?

In a couple weeks ' time, this may all be academic with the capnot a factor and the Wolves' season likely done.
Rumour was that some of the Canuck players requested they sign him and said he was a great team guy and competitor. I assume that comes from playing against him in the West.
He was always seen as a depth guy and insurance if the D was injured. Now would be a good time to have him come up and get to know AVs system (he has a system? :eh: ) but maybe they don't want to disrupt the team chemistry and playoff rhythm method 8-)

Regardless, if we have those dreaded injuries in the post-season the Wolves will be at the door!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)