Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

Rumsfeld wrote:Well I really appreciate you taking time off from studying to post that thoughtful and forthright response, Mëds.

I guess I would just like to suggest that Luongo's meltdowns tended to precede the meltdowns of the team in front of him, particularly in the Final against Boston. Thomas would stop everything we threw at him and LoLongo would let in a couple floaters... game over. Team gets frustrated and yes, eventually quits.

I would also like to suggest that you change your tone, as I am detecting hostile vibes in your latest offering and I would prefer to not have to spend the remainder of the evening handing you your ass.

I'm not some hammered homeless freeloader you can just beat on in the back of your ambulance.

OK, well the hammered part is true. Say, do you guys carry any nitrous around in that thing? 8-)

*removes wallet from pocket*
As a matter if fact we do.....

*eyes Rummy's depleted drinking money wad with disaooointment

The nitrous is pretty overrated IMHO, only does much if anything for 10% of the people we give it to. What you're looking for gets administered with a syringe.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah, what a disaster that 2011 Canucks team was that somehow had one of the best statistical regular seasons in NHL history.
Fuck off Rummy. You know as well as anyone that when that team melted down, they really melted down. Yeah they were good, damned good, but compared to teams that have actually won the Cup they didn't have the mental fortitude to buckle down and tighten things up if Lou let in a soft goal. Few are the times that they would actually rally and he would shit the bed all by himself.
I maintain that Vancouver would have won the final if a) they had had a few less injuries or b) the refs had continued to call rule violations. Either one would suffice.

Despite several key players being injured and the total change in refereeing between what had been stated by the league and what actually came to be, the Canucks still made it to game seven of the Stanley Cup finals. The Canucks have never had a team as good as the one they had in 2011. If you can't rally behind that team, you don't deserve to be a Canuck fan.

At the same time, blaming Luongo is pointless and disrespectful. He is the best goalie the Canucks have ever had (albeit Schneider may some day surpass him), a proven winner on the international level and one of the most consistent goalies in NHL history. If the Canucks had won game seven of the final, he would also have become the first goalie ever to win Triple Gold. He may still have a shot, and I'm sure he'll do anything he can to land the Cup in Vancouver.

I maintain that it was just injuries and inconsistent refereeing that stopped the Nucks from winning in 2011.
Shit happens. Let's grin and bear it and try again. Let's hope that Torts can take us all the way!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

^Pers post^
Sorry, Iphones suck

Yes the reffing sucked, yes we had injuries, yes Luongo has made good saves, but...

Again, excuses. Luongo has had some of the absolute worst meltdowns of ANY goaltender to EVER throw on the pads.

Most here know it, everyone outside of Canuckland knows it and every other GM knows it.

It may be why we were offered 2/3s of 5/8ths of fuck all for him folks. It wasn't his contract specifically.

It's that he melts down. Period
If you need air...call it in
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Per wrote: I maintain that Vancouver would have won the final if a) they had had a few less injuries or b) the refs had continued to call rule violations. Either one would suffice.
If I could have one play back from that series it would be Hamhuis' hipcheck on Lucic in Game 1. The Canucks may have lost anyway, all that happened may well have happened anyway, but I do wonder if Hamhuis was in for the rest of the series if maybe, just maybe, we'd have squeeked it out...still, what's done is done, and like many others, I'm tired of the whole 2011 series. Hopefully, new memories to come...
Last edited by Boston Canucker on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I don't think Luongo is blameless in those playoff meltdowns but it's pretty obvious that this team can reel off wins when they have three effective lines and four good defensemen, and you can look at the ugly losses at the end of each of those three playoffs and see the team no longer had that (or in some cases never did).

In 2011 we had our top two centers seriously hampered by injury, one of our top four defensemen was out and two more were seriously injured.. I don't recall off-hand whether Ehrhoff or Salo were playing hurt but if not they were basically our only healthy top four guys.

In 2010 by the end Edler, Salo and Mitchell were all gone, we had Andrew Alberts playing 18 minutes and Shane freaking O'Brien playing 22.. I don't recall offhand what injuries we had in the forward group but we had Raymond-Wellwood-Bernier as our third line so even at full strength that's not the three effective lines I was talking about.

2009 we had a lot of the same problems, IMO the only real bad game for Luongo was the last one when the teams traded goals until the Hawks turned it into a romp at the end. The team couldn't handle the Blackhawks speed and through the series lost both when trying to trade chances and when trying to grind out low scoring games.. in the end we saw Mike Gillis remake the defense to address this so it's pretty obvious there were problems even if the team remained relatively healthy at the end of their season (for once).

Anyway like I've said numerous times, it's unsettling how many times the team (Luongo and the skaters) have folded in important games and been just obliterated by the end, Luongo deserves some of the blame for sure as a veteran and a leader and a player with the salary of a guy who should be able to carry the team for stretches. But to ignore the other factors is inaccurate and unfair.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Can we get back to discussing why Todd Bertuzzi sat alone at the end of the bench.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Not until we figure out what might have been had Tom Renney allowed beer on the team plane..
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Team psyche hasn't been the same since Bill LaForge.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
cjc
CC Veteran

Post by cjc »

Stanley Cup Finals was a combo. Luongo's meltdowns did let the Bruins back into the series but poor reffing and a string of injuries were huge. Maybe Rome's hit too. It was something the Bruins could seize on.

By game 7 the team had nothing left. Luongo was fine in goal that game. It wasn't him. Watching in the arena you could almost feel the tentativeness of the Canucks. They couldn't throw or take hits because they needed to make it through the game. I think many in the crowd could sense bad things going into the second period. It still kills me now when I should have moved on.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

cjc wrote: It still kills me now when I should have moved on.
2-0 lead in the series, game 7 at home. Injuries, refs, fukin Bruins. God...it still kills me too.

I'll move on when we win the Cup. Until then the heartache lingers on...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

cjc wrote:Stanley Cup Finals was a combo. Luongo's meltdowns did let the Bruins back into the series but poor reffing and a string of injuries were huge. Maybe Rome's hit too. It was something the Bruins could seize on.

By game 7 the team had nothing left. Luongo was fine in goal that game. It wasn't him. Watching in the arena you could almost feel the tentativeness of the Canucks. They couldn't throw or take hits because they needed to make it through the game. I think many in the crowd could sense bad things going into the second period. It still kills me now when I should have moved on.

The first goal was a fluke. It goes through a crowd and Bergeron gets his stick on it, even though his follow through is prevented, Lou doesn't even see it.

Second goal is just bad luck, really good first save, then the pile up and the puck bounces free and off of Luongo and in.

Third goal wasn't his fault. He's in perfect position, makes the initial save, then gets run into by Bergeron and 2 defenders. The puck ends up almost under someone, and then over to the butt end of Bergeron's stick as he slides past the post and in it goes. In slow motion it's easy to ask why Louie didn't have that, but at full speed you can't even track it.

Of course, everyone will point to Thomas' shutout and how he managed to stone the Canucks.....it' s not quite that simple, take a look.

Burrows has Thomas down and out, it's Chara who gets in behind and prevents a goal. Thomas was out of position and chasing after over committing.

The last scoring chance in that clip shows Thomas give up a nice rebound to the front right corner of the crease while he's sliding out past the right post. No Canucks in sight for the rebound, Bruins recover and Thomas covers it up after his defender plays it.

That was the real story. Not Luongo.

*I don't even know why this is still being brought up.....frig.....
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Per wrote:I maintain that Vancouver would have won the final if a) they had had a few less injuries or b) the refs had continued to call rule violations. Either one would suffice.

Despite several key players being injured and the total change in refereeing between what had been stated by the league and what actually came to be, the Canucks still made it to game seven of the Stanley Cup finals. The Canucks have never had a team as good as the one they had in 2011. If you can't rally behind that team, you don't deserve to be a Canuck fan.

At the same time, blaming Luongo is pointless and disrespectful. He is the best goalie the Canucks have ever had (albeit Schneider may some day surpass him), a proven winner on the international level and one of the most consistent goalies in NHL history. If the Canucks had won game seven of the final, he would also have become the first goalie ever to win Triple Gold. He may still have a shot, and I'm sure he'll do anything he can to land the Cup in Vancouver.

I maintain that it was just injuries and inconsistent refereeing that stopped the Nucks from winning in 2011.
Shit happens. Let's grin and bear it and try again. Let's hope that Torts can take us all the way!
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Mondi wrote: As a man who deals exclusively in common sense
You are a lunatic.
Mondi wrote: the great SL's
Referring to Strangelove as great proves it.
You may very well be right Mr Topper.

In my professional opinion only a lunatic or a genius would refer to the Great Strangelove as great.

Speaking of my professional opinion

… only a lunatic or a genius would believe the Great Strangelove to be an actual psychiatrist.

But hey, what do I know right...

I'll tell you what I know!

Dale Tallon is a lunatic if he starts the season with Markstrom and Clemmensen in net, that's wot!

And there aren't many options left for Dale...

Take a look at that new division, Markstrom and Clemmensen would be the worst tandem by far IMPO.
____
Try to focus on someday.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Topper wrote:
Mondi wrote: As a man who deals exclusively in common sense
You are a lunatic.
Mondi wrote: the great SL's
Referring to Strangelove as great proves it.
You may very well be right Mr Topper.

In my professional opinion only a lunatic or a genius would refer to the Great Strangelove as great.

Speaking of my professional opinion

… only a lunatic or a genius would believe the Great Strangelove to be an actual psychiatrist.

But hey, what do I know right...

I'll tell you what I know!

Dale Tallon is a lunatic if he starts the season with Markstrom and Clemmensen in net, that's wot!

And there aren't many options left for Dale...

Take a look at that new division, Markstrom and Clemmensen would be the worst tandem by far IMPO.

A match made in heaven. Gotta wonder what Tallon was waiting for. He could have had Luongo for next to nothing. If they were worried about the cap re-capture I am sure the Canucks would have granted the Panthers permission to talk to Luongo about his plans for retirement. Luongo has shown himself to be a stand up guy. To go home I am sure he would have assured the Panthers that he wouldn't retire early and that something could be worked out when the time came. But even then it is not something they would need to worry about for at least 6-7 years. Maybe the last two years of his contract but if you look at the goalies who have played well into their 40's I see Luongo as that type of athlete.

It really is too bad for all concerned. Florida sure could use a guy like Luongo, Luongo would be thrilled to be back in Florida, the Canucks would have been free of him and CS would be ready to take over the reigns.

As it is CS will spilt duty with Marty for at least this year, possibly next. The NJD seem to be a team on the downward trend. A bad situation could have looked a whole lot better if Tallon had just played nice.

I can see the Canucks moving Luongo next year IF one of our young goalies looks ready to take over. The worst situation we could find ourselves in is another CS situation 2-3 years from now. But maybe ownership is willing to buy him out but not with a compliance buy out. A way to still spend to the cap but not over it. Who knows.
The only HW the Canucks need