Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

Dank called out the team for their piss poor performance. Called last nights effort embarrassing. Said several players did not compete, and they know who they are.

Now, most of our vets were out. Wonder who he was talking about?
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

HW, any info on what's behind Melanson's probable departure this summer?

Seems like we've had a pretty good run with goalies over the past half-decade or so, I don't know why we'd make that change. Cloutier getting a promotion?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:HW, any info on what's behind Melanson's probable departure this summer?

Seems like we've had a pretty good run with goalies over the past half-decade or so, I don't know why we'd make that change. Cloutier getting a promotion?

His contract is up and for personal reasons he will be leaving. Canucks wanted him back but he has decided to move on. Strictly a personal decision. Don't know where he is going or what he will be doing.

Heard Auld may get an interview. Cloutier likes Utica and doesn't want to leave at this point.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Hockey Widow wrote:Dank called out the team for their piss poor performance. Called last nights effort embarrassing. Said several players did not compete, and they know who they are.

Willy should bench the twins for a couple games...

Like W'peg and Coilers...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:Dank called out the team for their piss poor performance. Called last nights effort embarrassing. Said several players did not compete, and they know who they are.

After watching the game and hearing that interview, 2 names popped into my head: Vey + Bartkowski.

But who knows, perhaps he was calling out his bro for that horrible giveaway with 2 seconds left in the 2nd. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:HW, any info on what's behind Melanson's probable departure this summer?

His contract is up and for personal reasons he will be leaving. Canucks wanted him back but he has decided to move on. Strictly a personal decision. Don't know where he is going or what he will be doing.
Rollie doesn't talk to the media much, but when he does he talks about how he left his heart in Montreal:
http://canucksarmy.com/2013/6/11/rollie ... -interview

Yesterday, Melanson gave a very candid interview to L'Acadie Nouvelle, a french language newspaper in New Brunswick, which was picked up by RDS. In the interview, Melanson discussed on the record his ultimate desire to return to Montreal as a coach, the easy to avoid Vancouver press, and the "deterioration" of Carey Price's game in Melanson's absence.
That article was from 3 years ago.

Rumours, for years, have been that he wants to be closer to his family back East.

Kevin Woodley knows a lot of what's up with Rollie:

https://twitter.com/KevinisInGoal (from 10:28 PM last night and onwards)

Willie was asked what's up with Rollie last night:

(32 minute, 20 second mark)

... so according to Willie, Canucks may yet re-sign Rollie, despite Rollie's "family concerns".

Nucklehead, Luongo did fine pre-Rollie and post-Rollie amirite?

Ditto Schneids?

Ditto Miller?

He's had some great goalies to work with, although Markstrom gives him a lot of credit.

Both Luongo and Miller have taken issue with Rollie's less-aggressive stay-deep preaching.

And with the pads getting smaller, perhaps Rollie would need to tweak that style moving forward?

Rollie is a solid goalie coach it would seem, if he leaves, hopefully Canucks acquire another solid one.

How old is Rollie now, could he be contemplating retirement?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Hockey Widow wrote: His contract is up and for personal reasons he will be leaving. Canucks wanted him back but he has decided to move on. Strictly a personal decision. Don't know where he is going or what he will be doing.

Heard Auld may get an interview. Cloutier likes Utica and doesn't want to leave at this point.
Damn, it would suck to lose Rollie. We were known as a goaltending graveyard; however, I think under Rollie's watch, we have become a bit of a goaltending factory. He helped Lou's game and was a big factor to develop Schneids, Lack and now Markstrom. It'd be nice to have him around for Thatcher Demko.

If we do lose Rollie, I hope we don't go back to the Dan Cloutier years. Maybe Trev can give his old buddy Cory Hirsch an interview if the position needs to be filled. :D
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Is Boeser thinking of turning pro. A little impatience?

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/03/1 ... s-out-und/

As a matter of interest, Toews played two years of college and then turned pro.

This could be an interesting off season if Boeser wants to turn pro and Benning wants him to go back to college one more year. Maybe he is ready for Utica. But I think Benning wins this debate.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Hansen and Weber back at #Canucks practice, but no Vrbata, Tanev, Dorsett, Granlund or Sbisa.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

micky107 wrote:Question: Where is really the best place to develop your prospects.
Junior (if still eligible) ?
U.S. college (they would already have to be there) ?
Europe ?
A.H.L. (20 or older) ?
I would assume most would say A.H.L. I'm not one.
Back in my younger days, I got stuck in the old I.H.L. a couple of years and those dressing rooms are tough. You have way different age groups and major different agendas. The farm is rough. Really hard for young guys except that all they want to do is get the hell out and maybe that's good initiative.
Opinions?
What years were you stuck in the IHL?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Anton Rodin's season ended last week. He is in discussions with canucks as we speak.

Edler , vrbata and Sutter done for the season..

Canucks army is the source..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

rats19 wrote:Anton Rodin's season ended last week. He is in discussions with canucks as we speak.

Edler , vrbata and Sutter done for the season..

Canucks army is the source..
No surprise with Edler and Sutter. Absolutely no point in rushing them back. Vrbata is a surprise, sort of I guess but good news on the let the kids play front.

Rodin was a player Benning said they wanted to get signed. I imagine it will be a 1-2 year deal. Have no idea how he will fit in but will be interesting to see both he and Larson at camp.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

That is a damning statement to make. And, if it was guys like Etem, Vey, Grenier, then training camp has a lot of holes. If it's Burr and Dorsey....damn, our vets quit. If it's Hutton and Bo, our future isn't so bright if it's a real trend.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote:

That is a damning statement to make. And, if it was guys like Etem, Vey, Grenier, then training camp has a lot of holes. If it's Burr and Dorsey....damn, our vets quit. If it's Hutton and Bo, our future isn't so bright if it's a real trend.

Sounds like Vey and McCann may have been two of the players. McCann commented on it and said Dank was just trying to be a leader and wanted to inspire players to finish checks blah blah blah. With what he said I get the sense he may have been one of the players, which makes sense because he has been a perimeter player for a while now. He really needs a year or two in Utica to build up his strength and play top six minutes at the pro level.

Interesting when WD was asked how he liked the two Russians, having 8 hits between them. His response was well,mthey need a lot more than that to be effective, or words to that effect. He quickly added he liked their game, work in progress etc.....

Both twins talked about the attitude in the dressing room, regardless of the standings, had to be to play hard every shift and go out with the mentality to win every game. Perhaps they are just generalize a malaise that has fallen over the locker room.

It does stress the importance of having the right combination of vets. Vrbata highlighted that this year with his sulking. Prust with his complaining about playing. Perhaps we miss a Bieksa type in the locker room.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Rodin was a player Benning said they wanted to get signed. I imagine it will be a 1-2 year deal. Have no idea how he will fit in but will be interesting to see both he and Larson at camp.
I figure Canucks will have those two and a few other young players on $1M one-year one-way contracts.

See what shakes down in camp and waive the ones that don't make the cut.

If they don't make the cut... and don't get claimed... they can work on their game in the A and provide depth.

Benning is going to have a lot of players on cheap deals, no doubt in my mind he'll throw big bucks at a big fish.

Or two.

And that's a good thing. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.