Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Meds »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Mëds wrote:[
Vey should be gone. He's not worth a raise, and if he can get us a 3rd or 4th in return then do it.

I'm wondering why we gave up a 2nd for him. :?
Yeah, join the club.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Mëds wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:
Vey should be gone. He's not worth a raise, and if he can get us a 3rd or 4th in return then do it.

Yeah, join the club.
Join the Real Good Willie Loyalty Program.

Grand Prize: Accumulate points to win a spot on the big club for a year.

Scratch & Get Saved: Scratch 3 Willies and become DNP-free.

Bonus Prize: Guaranteed time on 2nd PP unit for a year.

Score big. Sign up to win.

*Contest open to residents or past residents of Medicine Hat, AB only. All conditions apply. See Canucks for details.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

You know WD has been unhappy with Kenins the past 10 games or so. He has been a healthy scratch and has seen a shortened bench during several games. To stay in the NHL Kenins needs to bring the energy game he had the first dozen or so games. He looks a little tired to me. He is not hitting as much, he isn't generating points and he is getting lazy, at times on the back check. The last couple of games that line has generated offensive chances, but Kenins couldn't score. Against Chicago he had 3-4 great chances and couldn't finish.

I think from what I've seen he has Hansen type potential but he needs to develop into that on a consistent basis. He needs a couple years more to develop, slowly. Horvat has shown he is more than a 4th liner and so has Hansen. But Kenins at this point is a 4th liner. I certainly wouldn't give up on him but again, if Sven can play a 200' game and add the finish to that line it could be something sweat to watch.

We need more goals, we need a PP that is more consistent. Maybe, just maybe, Sven can bring a little bit of something.
The only HW the Canucks need
Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 »

Hockey Widow wrote:You know WD has been unhappy with Kenins the past 10 games or so. He has been a healthy scratch and has seen a shortened bench during several games. To stay in the NHL Kenins needs to bring the energy game he had the first dozen or so games. He looks a little tired to me. He is not hitting as much, he isn't generating points and he is getting lazy, at times on the back check. The last couple of games that line has generated offensive chances, but Kenins couldn't score. Against Chicago he had 3-4 great chances and couldn't finish.

I think from what I've seen he has Hansen type potential but he needs to develop into that on a consistent basis. He needs a couple years more to develop, slowly. Horvat has shown he is more than a 4th liner and so has Hansen. But Kenins at this point is a 4th liner. I certainly wouldn't give up on him but again, if Sven can play a 200' game and add the finish to that line it could be something sweat to watch.

We need more goals, we need a PP that is more consistent. Maybe, just maybe, Sven can bring a little bit of something.
The Canucks do not have a 4th line per say. I agree, the designated line 4 has 1 guy that is, right now, a line 4 player. That's Ronalds and he has declined. The Ronalds love-fest ended a bit ago. Honestly, I think he should go back to Utica and Grenier should come this way. Sven should add skill and make that line a bit more of a scoring threat. It should be fun!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think Sven is our last call up until the season ends, we only had four with the injury exception, exception. So until the playoff starts this is it. Now we could send Kenins back to play for Utica and recall him during our playoffs if need be but I think if we are able to clinch a spot before our last game we might see a lot of regulars rested.

I'd Kenins around though. Maybe a rest, being a healthy scratch will help his game. We know round one is going to be a war so he will be a handy guy to have around.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

rats19 wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
dangler wrote:
Benjo wrote:Baertchi has been lighting up the AHL since the trade and has been called up today.
I wonder who would sit if Willie decides to play him?
Definitely be nice to have another lw option.
Be interesting to see if he is made to 'pay his dues' & develop a 2-way game or slots into the top 6.
Horvat has.... Why would Sven be different you think?
I don't necessarily think that but I certainly won't be surprised if he is fast tracked there. Vey was airlifted into the 3 spot and FIRST unit PP duty. Like Vey, we gave up a 2nd for Baertschi, a player who next year is not waiver exempt. Benning sees him as a top 6 forward (eventually) so he makes the big team next year regardless. The main criticism we've heard abo his development is that he was expected to be a checker/play a 200 foot game and that somehow stymied his progress in Calgary. Look for him to get every opportunity and be handled more like Vey than Horvat, Kassian, Kenins. I hope he pans out better than Vey has so far, things were going well w/ Green in Utica. If he isn't needed an offensive role here perhaps he is better off continuing his progress w/ the Comets. Maybe he'll get a shot w/ the Sedins while he's here.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:I'd Kenins around though. Maybe a rest, being a healthy scratch will help his game. We know round one is going to be a war so he will be a handy guy to have around.
Exactly the type of player we need in the first round. To have success in the playoffs we need contributions from every line. Willie's balanced 4-line assault has been very effective...especially the surprising Hansen/Horvat/Kenins line.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Zamboni Driver wrote:

Well that 2nd could have turned into an Anton Rodin or a Yann Sauve. Stealing quality 2nd rounders like Bergeron. Edler, O'Reilly is pure luck 'but if you look at the history of the 2nd round you will find a lot more Anton Rodins than you will Ryan O'Reillys.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

RoyalDude wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:

Well that 2nd could have turned into an Anton Rodin or a Yann Sauve. Stealing quality 2nd rounders like Bergeron. Edler, O'Reilly is pure luck 'but if you look at the history of the 2nd round you will find a lot more Anton Rodins than you will Ryan O'Reillys.
It was a 2014 pick IIRC, so who did the Kings take with it?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Who in the current Canuck lineup does not play a 200 foot game?

Kassian and Vey, after that everyone is capable of holding their own.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote:

It was a 2014 pick IIRC, so who did the Kings take with it?
Roland McKeown

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/roland-mckeown/
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

A sure fire, guaranteed NHL superstar, Mëds? Or no such thing?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

I believe the kings already shipped off McKeown in the sekera deal.

Edit - never mind it says so in the article.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Clam-dining seems so average. For a second you'd've (<---oh yeah I did that) thought we'd get someone with a little more upside...who knows.
If you need air...call it in
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:
A sure fire, guaranteed NHL superstar, Mëds? Or no such thing?
No such thing. How many times do I have to tell you?