Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ukcanuck »

rikster wrote:.I've talked with some of the local writers and asked why they didn't come to the teams defence when it was being attacked by the CBC and other media during the Cup finals in 2011 and suggested that had they done so maybe some of the questionable calls would have gone their way....
The answer you got leaves a lot to be desired:(

Maybe they should check google maps to see where they make their bread
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Yep. With all the jizz-flinging around this guy, I cringe at the package we'd have to get up to draft him...

No more Euro's. We have enough euro talent. Bring me A) Canadian talent, or B) Canadian Grit or C) Canadian Grit with some Talent.
Keep in mind how many of Gillis' moves have been transparent enough for any of the media to catch onto.

The smoke screen theory that blogger suggested makes some sense the way we have seen Gillis operate in the past. Drive up the price for the Russian, bow out and grab the pick in behind to draft who he really wants.

I'm thinking I would want to grab one of those big blue chip centres that are projected to go in the top 10.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I tend to agree. If history has taught us anything with MG it is that the louder the rumours the less likely it is to be true. The more leaks the more likely he is headed in a different direction.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:I tend to agree. If history has taught us anything with MG it is that the louder the rumours the less likely it is to be true. The more leaks the more likely he is headed in a different direction.
Yup, only sure fire thing he's known for imo is seeking/acquiring a powerforward (which he kind of did with Kass, its just developing him well with a new coach whose good at that like Eakins) and trying like hell to move far up in the draft.
Re: Hedman for Burr/Juice/1st in '09.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin »

Looks like if we wanted Dallas Eakins we're not going to get him. Very strong rumours he is Edmknton bound. First Schultz, now this.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Que the "missed opportunity" rants/whines/bitches
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Sucks for Krueger he was canned after only a few months on the job.

If you were Eakins, would you choose Edmonton over Vancouver? All things being equal, I'd have to say he'd choose Vancouver over shithole Edmonton (assuming he is offered the job in either place). Even though I could see the appeal with a lot of the young talent they have.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:Sucks for Krueger he was canned after only a few months on the job.

If you were Eakins, would you choose Edmonton over Vancouver? All things being equal, I'd have to say he'd choose Vancouver over shithole Edmonton (assuming he is offered the job in either place). Even though I could see the appeal with a lot of the young talent they have.
Except it seems forever that they've had an atrocious defense and goaltending.

Oilers have not signed anyone/Eakins on contract though, Eakins and his agent if he has one? are probably doing the Jerry McGuire and saying 'they don't do contracts' but..

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I question Eakins the Moose team mate of much of the current core of the lineup. Can he crack the whip if need be on his friends.

Coffee with the Bieksas while in town? I'd prefer more separation.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Topper wrote:I question Eakins the Moose team mate of much of the current core of the lineup. Can he crack the whip if need be on his friends.

I agree

Not surprised Eakins takes the Oiler job, sort of like why Schultz chose the Oilers. The window here in Vancouver is closing fast, this isn't a long term project with great future promise that a young coach would jump at.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rikster
MVP
MVP

Post by rikster »

RoyalDude wrote:
Topper wrote:I question Eakins the Moose team mate of much of the current core of the lineup. Can he crack the whip if need be on his friends.

I agree

Not surprised Eakins takes the Oiler job, sort of like why Schultz chose the Oilers. The window here in Vancouver is closing fast, this isn't a long term project with great future promise that a young coach would jump at.
I dunno about that, the more I watch the playoffs the further away from being a Cup contender the Oilers look...

Nothing up the middle, whether it be centre, blue line or goalie....Too fragile to compete in the West and the early returns on McTavish is that he seems to be a tad irrational who acts before he thinks....

Why go public with the comments about Horcoff and Hemsky, was he too lazy to pick up the phone and call the other GM's to let them know he was willing to deal them instead of throwing them under the bus in public?...

And what due diligence was done before he hired Eakins and why the rush to hire him?....

The Oilers are like every team in the league, enough skill to make the post season if they get more breaks than heart aches, but are built for the way the game was suppose to be played post 2004 lockout and not the way the game is actually called and played post 2004 lockout....

Take care....
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

rikster wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

I agree

I dunno about that, the more I watch the playoffs the further away from being a Cup contender the Oilers look...

Nothing up the middle, whether it be centre, blue line or goalie....Too fragile to compete in the West and the early returns on McTavish is that he seems to be a tad irrational who acts before he thinks....

Why go public with the comments about Horcoff and Hemsky, was he too lazy to pick up the phone and call the other GM's to let them know he was willing to deal them instead of throwing them under the bus in public?...

And what due diligence was done before he hired Eakins and why the rush to hire him?....

The Oilers are like every team in the league, enough skill to make the post season if they get more breaks than heart aches, but are built for the way the game was suppose to be played post 2004 lockout and not the way the game is actually called and played post 2004 lockout....

Take care....
Quite simple, they have what we don't. A plethora of amazingly, gifted, highly skilled talent all under the age of 23. If anything, they just lack a GM who knows how to build around that. One day he just may get it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

RoyalDude wrote:

I agree

The dammm window closed last year.. the question should be .. Why would a coach take a young team with talent against an old team in decline ? It will take at least a year before a decent rebuilding program can be instituted by the Canucks.. thanks to the long term No Trade Contracts.. Eakins would be a fool to jump onto an obvious sinking ship..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Did not know that, but thanks for sharing.

This Canucks team needs a boss, not another buddy they can tweet with. No thanks Dallas.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

herb wrote:

Did not know that, but thanks for sharing.

This Canucks team needs a boss, not another buddy they can tweet with. No thanks Dallas.
Yeah especially with Bieksa who seems like the leader of the 'country club atmosphere' pack here in canuck land.

repost:
“I don’t think we need somebody to come in and crack the whip,” defenceman Kevin Bieksa said Thursday.

“We can work together toward a common goal. I still believe in this team and that the core can win and that we’re young enough to win. We’re more mature and even-keeled, and maybe (coach’s rants) is appropriate on rare occasions, but every coach has his own strategy and opinions on how they should act.

“We’ve grown up a lot together and we’re accountable. I think we can handle that stuff internally with the players.”
MG has to know this core has become way too comfy in their settings and thanks to AV they pretty much feel like they control the behind the scenes area, plus they even had to coach themselves most of the time on a timeout.