Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tciso
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Tciso »

Puck wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but any info on why Lindenning weren't interested in Santorelli?
WTF is an Lindenning? Can we stop the Branjolina crap??
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Betamax wrote:via: https://twitter.com/ElliottPap/status/4 ... 0482095105
Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap

BREAKING: Canucks reach agreement with RW Zack Kassian on 2-year deal worth $3.5 million. Cap hit of $1.75 million. #canucks
Glad to see Kassassian ink a deal for a couple years. I really like the way he's developing and I thought he was one of our bright spots last season.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Dan Murphy ‏@sportsnetmurph

#canucks and Chris Tanev putting final touches on a 1-year deal. Should be signed in advance of 2pm PST arbitration filing deadline today.
One year deal nice, a very short bridge contract to see if he's worth a longer term contract after that, and/or even better trade bait. ;)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Betamax wrote:via: https://twitter.com/ElliottPap/status/4 ... 0482095105
Elliott Pap ‏@ElliottPap

BREAKING: Canucks reach agreement with RW Zack Kassian on 2-year deal worth $3.5 million. Cap hit of $1.75 million. #canucks
Glad to see Kassassian ink a deal for a couple years. I really like the way he's developing and I thought he was one of our bright spots last season.
Here Here.

It's intriguing to think what might happen for Kass if he's put on the second line, esp. considering the fact that he was the Canucks leading point-getter in the latter part of last season; all while on the 3rd line! This was one area in Tort's decision making that I found completely confounding; the team is is frickin dive-bombing and still he insists on not permitting Kass to move up in the line-up (cause like ya don't want to risk losing even more than you already are) :? . Don't wish to digress too much here, but I was equally dumb-struck by his insistence about playing Lack for each and every game until we were officially eliminated - rigid/stubborn thinking. Anyways...

Yeah, I'm inclined to think that Kass will do great alongside Bonino this year while under Desjardin's tutelage.
cc oldtimer
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

nuckster wrote: Yeah, I'm inclined to think that Kass will do great alongside Bonino this year while under Desjardin's tutelage.
I hope so too, but the real determining factor will be Kassian's conditioning. He'll still take the odd bad penalty, but if he can't keep up or play that 15mins/night then it's going to be real tough to have him on the 2nd line.

One good thing about having a Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett fourth line, is that it can take a regular shift. No reason guys like the Sedins should have to play 20 minutes per night if the fourth line can play 10 or so.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725494
Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced today that the club has re-signed Chris Tanev to a one-year contract.

Tanev, 24, collected a career high 17 points (6-11-17) and 8 penalty minutes in 64 games with the Canucks in 2013.14. He also tied for first on the Canucks in blocked shots (136). The 6’2”, 194-pound defenceman has accumulated 27 points (8-19-27) and 20 penalty minutes in 156 career NHL games.

The Toronto, Ontario native has played 10 career playoff games over the course of two postseason appearances, including three Stanley Cup Final games against Boston in 2011. Prior to his NHL career, Tanev led the R.I.T. Tigers of the Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA) to their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament and the Frozen Four Semi-Final.

Tanev was signed by Vancouver as a free agent on May 31, 2010.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725494
Vancouver, BC – Vancouver Canucks General Manager, Jim Benning announced today that the club has re-signed Chris Tanev to a one-year contract.

Tanev, 24, collected a career high 17 points (6-11-17) and 8 penalty minutes in 64 games with the Canucks in 2013.14. He also tied for first on the Canucks in blocked shots (136). The 6’2”, 194-pound defenceman has accumulated 27 points (8-19-27) and 20 penalty minutes in 156 career NHL games.

The Toronto, Ontario native has played 10 career playoff games over the course of two postseason appearances, including three Stanley Cup Final games against Boston in 2011. Prior to his NHL career, Tanev led the R.I.T. Tigers of the Atlantic Hockey Association (AHA) to their first appearance in the NCAA Tournament and the Frozen Four Semi-Final.

Tanev was signed by Vancouver as a free agent on May 31, 2010.
via: https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/ ... 6359688192
Elliotte Friedman Verified account ‏@FriedgeHNIC

VAN announces one-year extension for Chris Tanev. It is worth $2M.

11:22 AM - 5 Jul 2014
About 1M less than what was expected, so another value contract for the Canucks. :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: via: https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/ ... 6359688192

____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:

I have a feeling, the Canucks' will be paying for it .... over the longer term but with the Cap expected to go significantly up over the next half-dozen years or so, it shouldn't be that much of a problem for the Canucks or the team he is traded to. :mex:
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Strangelove wrote:

Nice work, Benning. Benning is giving himself flexibility over the next year or two as he evaluates the team on the ice and figures out what he needs to do. And presuming 1) He gets Vey to sign for about 1 mill and 2) Markstrom's salary, if in the minors, counts only 250K against cap, should leave Van about 2 mill under the cap to start the year...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well with this signing, they have about 2.1 of cap space. That includes both Marstrom and Corrado. Those two take up 1.8 million. So assuming they are both off the books, either entirely or with the small cap hit for Markstrom should he clear waivers, that leaves between (approx) 3.5-3.9 million in cap space. Can't imagine Vey will have a significant cap hit, 1-1.2 perhaps.so we should be looking at about 2.5+ in cap space. That's carrying a 22 man roster, 13 forwards, 7 D and 2 goalies.

So we have one roster spot available for one of Horvat or Jensen, or one of the other kids, although it is most likely one of those two.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

That's a great deal for Vancouver. Tanev remains an RFA, with arbitration rights, after this season. I thought he'd get more, but it's a "show me what you got" deal for sure. If Tanev embraces this top-4 role, maybe puts up some more points, and adds to his physical game, he could get a nice deal out of this.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Benning is bloody impressive!

Just comes in and gets all this shit done in such a short amount of time.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hank wrote:Benning is bloody impressive!

Just comes in and gets all this shit done in such a short amount of time.
What's your take on this?

via: https://twitter.com/TheStanchion/status ... 8486609920
Wyatt Arndt ‏@TheStanchion

"I made him an offer he couldn't refuse...." - Gilman

12:28 PM - 5 Jul 2014
:mex:
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

heh heh :lol:

Would love to see the Godfather have discussions on a rowboat with some of these Fredos regarding their NTCs.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!