Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:Botchford is a moron, as if Lou would walk away from $30mil and

... any chance he has to make the Hall of Fame

... any chance he has to play in the Olympics

... any chance he has to.... win a Cup?

Anyway, I'm hearing Aquaman flew to Florida to tell Luongo Canucks will buy him out compliance style in 2014.

Is anyone else hearing this?? :look:

Why frig would we do that after trading CS. If a buy out was an option then for the love of gawd it should have been done already. I haven't heard this yet but if this is true then this shows me how truly fucked ownership is.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote: Why frig would we do that after trading CS.
... because another year of distraction and $9.3mil in goal was not workable.

Also, Schneider's panic attacks were creating panic.

This is what I'm hearing. ;)
Hockey Widow wrote: If a buy out was an option then for the love of gawd it should have been done already.
No, because Lou is still a Top Ten goalie.

Might as well get as much out of him as possible before before buying out.. what the NHL turned into... a bad contract.
Hockey Widow wrote: I haven't heard this yet but if this is true then this shows me how truly fucked ownership is.
Not their fault one-of-the-best-ever Luongo had some meltdowns and Schneids went freaky.

One year from now they sign a vet goalie to continue the mentoring of Lack/Eriksson/Cannata. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Keep in mind that I don't believe any contract has been voided for a player who then joined another NHL team. To release the guy to go to Europe sure but not to another NHL team.

Keep in mind the NHL always holds the cap circumvention hammer. I just don't see the NHL who negotiated a clause in the new CBA specifically to punish a select few contracts and teams, Luongo being the prominent example, simply saying "golly gee you got us go right ahead and void it!" It isn't going to happen. Even ignoring all the things Doc is saying it simply is far to big of a risk to Luongo to try to go down that route just to have the NHL put the rug from under the plan with a cry of "cap circumvention!" and in this case they would be correct. Hell they were correct on what the Luongo contract was in teh first place (cap circumvention). But they really were complete assholes to put in the luongo clause in addition to ridding the huge back diving contracts.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

How much would the tickets cost??
News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
NHL announces 2014 Heritage Classic. March 2 at BC Place. Canucks host Senators. Will the roof be open?
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

Canucks signed Benn Ferriero to a two-way deal.

Also apparently signed DeFazio...some middle weight tough guy that will strictly be an AHLer I'm guessing.

Meals in training camp will now consistent of ziti and cannolis
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports
The #Canucks are still in the mix for Fistric.

Johansson says he will take his time in finding defenseman and former #WHLgiants ufa Marc Fistric a new home.

The #Canucks made a general offer to Blum.

Agent for Jonathan Blum, Gerry Johannson says Minnesota was the best oppurtunity for his client.
I thought the Canucks were no longer interested in Blum... Apparently, they made a "general" offer to him. I am not sure what "general" means here... :?:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovocop wrote: I thought the Canucks were no longer interested in Blum... Apparently, they made a "general" offer to him. I am not sure what "general" means here... :?:
My guess would be something along the lines of what they signed Weber for.

Near league min, one year deal.

Hell they may have offered him the same deal at the same time but Weber signed first.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Jovocop wrote: I thought the Canucks were no longer interested in Blum... Apparently, they made a "general" offer to him. I am not sure what "general" means here... :?:
My guess would be something along the lines of what they signed Weber for.

Near league min, one year deal.

Hell they may have offered him the same deal at the same time but Weber signed first.
Never mind, the Wild just signed Blum, a 1-yr two-way contract. Would Blum be a better fit to the Canucks than Weber? Blum is at least taller...
The Minnesota Wild added depth to their defence by signing former first-round pick Jonathon Blum to a one-year, two-way contract on Friday.

The 24-year-old Blum joins the Wild after spending parts of the past three seasons with the Nashville Predators, who selected the California native 23rd overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Blum posted one goal and six assists in 35 games during the truncated 2013 campaign. In 91 career NHL games, he has collected seven goals and 15 assists.

The Wild also inked defenseman Jon Landry to a one-year, two-way contract. Landry, 30, has yet to play in the NHL and is coming off a 33-point (8g, 25a) campaign with the New York Islanders' AHL affiliate in Bridgeport.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

I am actually surprised at how much MG has managed to get accomplished, especially being backed up against the cap like he is..

If he gets Tanev under a good '2nd' contract, I will be happy with how he has done over the summer, all things considered...

(This wasn't meant as a 'get out of jail' for the past which put us up against the wall, just a general comment that he has wiggled pretty well once he was there)
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Madcombinepilot wrote:I am actually surprised at how much MG has managed to get accomplished, especially being backed up against the cap like he is..

If he gets Tanev under a good '2nd' contract, I will be happy with how he has done over the summer, all things considered...

(This wasn't meant as a 'get out of jail' for the past which put us up against the wall, just a general comment that he has wiggled pretty well once he was there)
What exactly has he done?

Firing AV had to happen. We'll see how Torts does, but Gillis gets his walking papers if JT can't get the most out of this roster.

He traded what he thought was his better goalie. Using his own logic he probably feels he made this team worse going into next season. I like Horvat, and I don't mind trading Schneider, but the way he handled this whole thing is abysmal.

Floating the idea of trading Edler before his NTC kicks in is a great confidence builder in what's supposed to be your best d-man.

Buying out Ballard wasn't a tough call.

Gillis painted himself into this corner last offseason. He preached patience, while putting his team perilously close to the cap the entire time. He thought teams would give up assets to land Luongo, and instead traded (in his opinion) his better goalie for a package that was reportedly not the best on the table.

I'm willing to give Gillis some credit for the way he's handled himself, or at least I won't attack him for it. But most of the "issues" he's had to navigate this summer are his own doing. The shine has definitely worn off the guy, imo.

All that being said, the results on the ice will determine how well he did his job!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Gillis painted himself into this corner last offseason. He preached patience, while putting his team perilously close to the cap the entire time. He thought teams would give up assets to land Luongo, and instead traded (in his opinion) his better goalie for a package that was reportedly not the best on the table.
FUUUUUCK

There was no offseason to do a deal for Luongo. When the hell are people going to get it through their thick skulls and into their pea brains.

We all understood it while it happened but now most have completely forgotten.

With the looming lockout there were no takers until the new CBA was know. Once the CBA was done, there was no time at the start of the season to do a deal. Both 'tenders had seesaw years and hence both where kept around as insurance of one vs the other.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Floating the idea of trading Edler before his NTC kicks in is a great confidence builder in what's supposed to be your best d-man.
All Gillis said about Edler was that he was getting calls about him and that you are always listening to calls about every player and considering options presented to you if you think it could make your team better. He never once said he had considered any of the offers regarding Edler.

It was the media and fans that got the whole Edler is trade bait rumor going.....
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
All Gillis said about Edler was that he was getting calls about him and that you are always listening to calls about every player and considering options presented to you if you think it could make your team better. He never once said he had considered any of the offers regarding Edler.

It was the media and fans that got the whole Edler is trade bait rumor going.....
You can blame me for this Edler non-sense, I got it all going mentioning that his NTC clause was kicking in soon, I then was pushing to trade Edler for Bobby Ryan and it blew up from there & went viral. :mrgreen:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

SKYO wrote:
Mëds wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

You can blame me for this Edler non-sense, I got it all going mentioning that his NTC clause was kicking in soon, I then was pushing to trade Edler for Bobby Ryan and it blew up from there & went viral. :mrgreen:
You should be more responsible with your comments knowing how much stock they have...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Multiple reports on deadline day, not just Nonis' meat puppet, were saying the Canucks were listening to offers on Edler. That = on the market. Why you'd admit to that, unless you want the "Bobby Ryan" treatment, is beyond me. Trade him, or don't. Don't dangle him in public.