Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by BladesofSteel »

okcanuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
okcanuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
okcanuck wrote:What? Kelowna could have been easily up by 3-1 if it weren't for their goalie. Cassels had little to do win that win
This is what happens in single-elimination games. But Oshawa did go undefeated in that tournament and they beat Kelowna twice. Cassels was a huge part of that team that lacked the star-power of the Rockets, but managed to get it done.

Excellent way to end his Junior career.

Did you actually watch the game? Their goalie didn't see half the Kelowna shots that luckily hit him. Kelowna deserved at least a 3 goal win and Cassels ( the great) was quite invisible.

The shots were 38-26 that tells you everything about that game. The Rockets actually dominated that game.
Actually, I did watch the game. As I said, in a single-game format anything can happen. It doesn't mean the better team won, only that Oshawa scored more goals than Kelowna in this game, so they win. Shot totals don't win games.

The point is that Cassels is a huge part of the team that just won the Memorial Cup. Sucks for Kelowna fans, but despite their best effort they didn't win the game. Looking at it from more than your limited single-game viewpoint, you'd realize that Oshawa might not even be in the tournament if it wasn't for Cassels shutting down limiting the likes of McDavid. That's why he deserves praise.

The fact is Oshawa's goalie was unbelievably lucky in that game and if Kelowna would have capitalized on their incredible chances nothing would be said about Cassels "great" ability to shut down future star offensive players.

Like I said before Cassels had little to do with their win tonight
:roll:

Win or lose, nothing can take away the fact Cassels was a HUGE factor in getting Oshawa to the final dance.

But if you want to take everything else Cassels and Oshawa as a whole did to position themselves to be not only OHL Champs, but CHL champs, you go right ahead and focus on one game.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:Kelowna out played Oshawa for the first two periods. Oshawa had a strong third and could have won it in the third. Overall, Kelowna was the better team, except on the scoreboard.

Cassels perhaps did not have his best game and I too was impressed with the big German. I didn't think Cassels had a bad game, he held his own and did a good job limiting the kraut. But I also agree that Cassels was not overly impressive.

Over all throughout the season he was a huge part of the General's success. That can't be denied. And he has been impressive in helping to shut down top players.As a Canuck fan I'm ok with having a prospect that is good on the draw. Has an asshole edge and can play a shut down role. Key types of players every organization needs. If he can play the pro game and get half the assist his old man got we will have a winner. Next year we will see what he does in Utica.

As for Applebee (sp) I think he is an average CHL goalie. He made some good saves, some key saves, and had puck luck to boot. I didn't see an NHL caliber prospect in him at all. But he was good enough to get the win and good enough to get the Memorial Cup. Without him Kelowna wins that game. Kelowna has a lot of skilled guys and can score but they only got one by him tonight. I still don't see him as NHL material though.

The guy that impressed me was the big German. I like his size, speed and skill with the puck. Didn't see much from him defensively though. Would love to get him from Edmonton.

I really think that Drisidl would be worth obtaining from Edmonton . Don't get me wrong I think Cassels will be an intregal part of the Canucks future. Very impressed.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Benning on TSN today:

On Markstrom:

Likes his intensity and compete level. Reminds him a lot of a young Ben Bishop who he saw a lot of in the East. Has an edge to him, hates losing and has the Bishop like ability to bounce back after a bad game. After a loss or bad game by him he shows up the next day pissed off, he actually said that, and has a work ethic and determination to bounce back. Really likes Markstrom and his professionalism.

On goaltending:

A tough decision to make. Will wait until Utica's season is done before finalizing a decision. Plans to make decision about to roster in 2-3 weeks, develope a plan of action,mthen move quickly to execute the plan. All options on the table at this point in time regarding goaltending. Expects to get some picks back, or another good young prospect no matter which way the go.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I don't know what people were expecting of Cassels in this game but I was pleased and will admit that this is the only time I have seen him play. Maybe the shutdown of McDavid raised peoples expectations.

The Rockets are a team that was stacked for a Memorial Cup run. They added Josh Morrisey around the WJC to an already loaded lineup. They used their connections through Bob Nicholson to add Draisaitl even after the Oilers had burned a year of his eligability.

Cassels challenged the Rockets defence and for the most part kept them out of the offensive play when he was on the ice. The Rockets D had to account for the Cassels line counterattack.

While the announcers were all over the Cassels/Draisaitl matchup, it was the Cassels/Rockets D matchup played out.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote:I believe aerobic and anaerobic conditioning are both critical.

Anaerobic conditioning is required for the explosive bursts and high intensity of shifts.
Aerobic conditioning is required due to the length of the game and need to recover between shifts.
Exactly.

IIRC issue being raised is Virtanen's endurance during his shifts, his effort tails off near the end of shifts.

He would need to increase his anaerobic endurance in order to maintain his performance throughout his shift.

:thumbs:
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Topper wrote:I don't know what people were expecting of Cassels in this game but I was pleased and will admit that this is the only time I have seen him play. Maybe the shutdown of McDavid raised peoples expectations.

The Rockets are a team that was stacked for a Memorial Cup run. They added Josh Morrisey around the WJC to an already loaded lineup. They used their connections through Bob Nicholson to add Draisaitl even after the Oilers had burned a year of his eligability.

Cassels challenged the Rockets defence and for the most part kept them out of the offensive play when he was on the ice. The Rockets D had to account for the Cassels line counterattack.

While the announcers were all over the Cassels/Draisaitl matchup, it was the Cassels/Rockets D matchup played out.

I thought Cassels played well throughout the tournament and will be a good player for the Nucks.
The Rockets weren't the only team stacked for a memorial cup run. Oshawa pulled off 3 deadline deals as well and I suspect Quebec and Rimouski did the same.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Cassels had a great season, obviously. He was one of the OHL's best players during Oshawa's championship run. He stepped into the #1 center role this season and his team had a monster season. He had a great regular season even though he started off sick with mono and got suspended 10 games.

In the three games I watched him play in (series clinching game against Erie, MC final and their game against Rimouski) he played big. He was consistently one of the best players on the ice. He consistently made good defensive plays and was involved in the majority of his team's scoring chances.

That people are comparing Cassels (drafted 85th overall) to Draisaitl (drafted 3rd overall), and that they are actually pretty comparable players is remarkable.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

herb wrote: That people are comparing Cassels (drafted 85th overall) to Draisaitl (drafted 3rd overall), and that they are actually pretty comparable players is remarkable.
Exactly my thoughts - so we've learned our 20-year-old 3rd round pick can shut down the Oilers 17-year-old future 1st overall pick, but didn't quite shut down the Oilers' 19 1/2 year old 3rd overall pick.

Still pretty damn good for a 3rd-rounder who turned 20 a few weeks ago. Doesn't guarantee he'll be an NHL star, but there's plenty of reason for optimism.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ESQ wrote:
herb wrote: That people are comparing Cassels (drafted 85th overall) to Draisaitl (drafted 3rd overall), and that they are actually pretty comparable players is remarkable.
Exactly my thoughts - so we've learned our 20-year-old 3rd round pick can shut down the Oilers 17-year-old future 1st overall pick, but didn't quite shut down the Oilers' 19 1/2 year old 3rd overall pick.

Still pretty damn good for a 3rd-rounder who turned 20 a few weeks ago. Doesn't guarantee he'll be an NHL star, but there's plenty of reason for optimism.

He doesn't have to be a star. An elite third line shut down centre would be just fine :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:

He doesn't have to be a star. An elite third line shut down centre would be just fine :mrgreen:
Well we need a few guys to step up and become stars in the impending wakes of Henrik and Daniel. Cassels would be as good a guy as any!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I think it's nice to have that confidence boost for Cassels heading into his professional career. The Memorial cup is a great achievement. That said, he's likely bound for at least 1-2 years in the AHL, and I'm not sure how he's going to project as an NHL centre.

Certainly looking like a good pick so far. The offensive output was fantastic, but we'll see what kind of impact his gritty play has on professionals. It's easy to smash and grind teenagers. He'll likely need to pack on 20 pounds (play around 200, shouldn't be an issue) to have that same kind of impact at the NHL level.

Regardless, if he turns into a servicable third line prick who makes life tough on oppoenents, gets under their skin, and can chip in offensively (a la Matt Cooke in his time here)... fine by me!
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I think it's nice to have that confidence boost for Cassels heading into his professional career. The Memorial cup is a great achievement. That said, he's likely bound for at least 1-2 years in the AHL, and I'm not sure how he's going to project as an NHL centre.

Certainly looking like a good pick so far. The offensive output was fantastic, but we'll see what kind of impact his gritty play has on professionals. It's easy to smash and grind teenagers. He'll likely need to pack on 20 pounds (play around 200, shouldn't be an issue) to have that same kind of impact at the NHL level.

Regardless, if he turns into a servicable third line prick who makes life tough on oppoenents, gets under their skin, and can chip in offensively (a la Matt Cooke in his time here)... fine by me!
CFP can keep his name then - Cassels For Premier!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Congratulations to the Utica Comets who defeat Grand Rapids 2-0 to go onto to the finals. The legend of Markstrom grows. Second consecutive series clinching SO. Papa Jim must be proud.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Go Utica Go! awesome experience for our youngsta'z.

Markstrom making it easier for JB to trade Lack.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ESQ wrote:

Watched a ton of Cassels this year and the player he reminds me most of - wait for it - is a poor man's Henrik Sedin. Yes there are differences, Cassels is much grittier (he's a mean bastard) and Hank is just all around better, but Cassels loves the short pass, the give and go, loves playing along the boards and behind the net and loves protecting the puck with his body to allow him to dish off to an open teammate. He's got a better shot than Henrik does and both are average skaters.

Hank has a ridiculous mind for the game though and Cassels isn't in the same realm. If he can be half of what Hank has been I will be very happy.