Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Hockey Widow »

Granlund to wear #60

Granlund to start Thursday at centre. His wingers will be Vey and Etem????

Vrbata out, maybe a week, give or take.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Strangelove wrote:Yeah, for fuck's sake IN, even Ladd hasn't been approached about waiving yet

... and we all know he's getting traded.
Ladd has a limited No-Trade. The Jets could already have a list of teams he's available to be traded to. Similar to Vrbata, where we could already have that list (8-teams which he's willing to go to).
Topper wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:I would do my best to avoid such a situation. Leaks/rumours... all that.
So you would enlarge the group discussing a deal?
What is the point in discussing a deal if the player won't allow a trade to the team?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Couldn't get a 2nd round pick for Smurfkaruk

Chicago wouldn't give up Clendenning for The Smurf, but wanted the smurfette Forsling instead

L.A. Wouldn't give up Vey for Shinkaruk

LMAO!!!!! Classic
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
What is the point in discussing a deal if the player won't allow a trade to the team?
^^^Rocket Scientist^^^
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jyrki21
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Jyrki21 »

Hockey Widow wrote:* I asked him about Willie losing the room, as I had heard a few weeks back. He said bull shit. To a man, the players he has talked to love Willie. He is a great teacher, has a ton of patience, has a calm demeanour, and doesn't publicaly dress players down. If he has an issue with you he talks to you. The players say he is a great systems guy and they love his practices. He lets players play there way out of slumps the best he can. Some of the players are pissed at the media assassination being done on him. My friend told me the players he talks to have developed a strong loyalty to Willie and don't see him as the problem.

* he does not believe there is a disconnect between management and ownership. He just believes that they all thought this transition idea was a good one. Unfortunately he believes they still do. They are pretty insistent that there will not be a full out tear down. They plan to continue the trend of moving a few vets out each year and bringing younger guys in.

* he was not surprised that Shinkaruk was traded. Said Benning has been trying to trade him from day one. Benning does not like his game and was one of the assets he identified very early as not fitting into the long term plans. They needed him to have this breakout year in Utica in order to move him. Last year he couldn't even get a second for him. He was offered up for Clendenning and Chicago said no, they wanted Forsling. LA wouldn't take him for Vey, they wanted the second. As far as my friend knows there were no off ice issues or attitude problems with him. Benning just did not like his game.

* on Miller, he does not believe Benning will trade him, now or in the summer. Benning is pretty insistent that Miller is their number one and will be next year, as the plan will be to make the playoffs next year as well. In fact Benning has said that depending upon Markstrom's development next year they would consider bringing Miller back for 1-2 years as Demko develops in the pros. He does not see Markstrom as a number one at this point. I get the sense that he sees Markstrom as the stop gap until Demko is ready. But this could change over the course of the next year I guess.
Posting here for the first time in YEARS just because of how incensed learning this has made me.

This management group pulls opinions out of thin air and then acts as though they are gospel and moves mountains to pursue their own unscientific visions. The results keep speaking for themselves -- they are terrible managers and terrible at evaluating talent -- and yet somehow they see themselves as visionaries.

Willie Desjardins might be the nicest guy on earth, but as a matter of policy he surrenders the largest advantage of being on home ice and implements literally no strategy in player deployment other than playing guys he has coached before disproportionately. He could be an OK assistant coach, maybe. He shouldn't be a bench boss. Studies have shown his heartbeat soars to crisis-type levels during game-time -- I don't think this is a guy who should be making real-time decisions.

Ryan Miller is on the decline and has shown he needs a good amount of rest. The team itself has tabbed Markström as their future goalie and he has played better with more action, and outplayed Miller through most of the season, as did his predecessor. THIS IS NOT DIFFICULT. Apart from the circular logic of declaring that "Dan Ryan is Our Number One Guy"™ (with which Willie is clearly entirely on board) there is absolutely no reason for them to be playing them in the horribly predictable manner that they have been.

The Shinkaruk thing is just idiotic. Can you imagine if they swapped a recent skilled 1st rounder for soon-to-be-waiver-eligible Linden effing Vey in 2014? For murky soon-to-be-waiver-eligible Adam Clendening? (As an aside, the fact that the Blackhawks, who do understand hockey, specifically asked for Forsling confirms all our worst fears about that trade). Shinkaruk could end up being a total bust, and the logic here is still terrible. "I don't like this player's style, he was drafted by somebody other than me, so I will excise him from the team at any cost." This is toddler logic.

Jim Benning is a cancer for this team, who has been harming its future as much as its present. His methods employ religion over science. Both intuition and results have cast the world's most obvious doubt on virtually everything he has done. He has given zero reason to believe he is intelligent or has any real concept of what he's doing. He has surrounded himself with similarly unqualified yes-men. He absolutely needs to get the boot as soon as possible.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Doc will pray for you.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

I may understand that the players like WD but I don't think WD understands the importance sometimes of putting the right player on the ice at the right time.

Now Markstrom is not the goalie of the future? Holy crap will we ever have a goalie of the future or is the top 5 goalie Miller going to play for another 10 years?
Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis »

Jyrki21 wrote:The Shinkaruk thing is just idiotic. Can you imagine if they swapped a recent skilled 1st rounder for soon-to-be-waiver-eligible Linden effing Vey in 2014? For murky soon-to-be-waiver-eligible Adam Clendening? (As an aside, the fact that the Blackhawks, who do understand hockey, specifically asked for Forsling confirms all our worst fears about that trade). Shinkaruk could end up being a total bust, and the logic here is still terrible. "I don't like this player's style, he was drafted by somebody other than me, so I will excise him from the team at any cost." This is toddler logic.
By this same logic, can we not conclude that if in fact the Hawks took a pass on Shinkaruk for Clendening - who's not only proven to be fairly useless but was also at the time a redundant player that the Hawks needed to get rid of due to his waiver ineligible contract status (Clendening) - is that alone not an indictment of Shinkaruk? And from a team that is probably one of the preeminent authorities on small, shifty, skilled players (Kane & Panarin).
Jyrki21 wrote:Jim Benning is a cancer for this team, who has been harming its future as much as its present. His methods employ religion over science. Both intuition and results have cast the world's most obvious doubt on virtually everything he has done. He has given zero reason to believe he is intelligent or has any real concept of what he's doing. He has surrounded himself with similarly unqualified yes-men. He absolutely needs to get the boot as soon as possible.
I'm not a Benning apologist but it hasn't even been two years after he stepped into a complete and utter shitshow. He was highly touted as a bright hockey mind and sought after by a large number of hockey people who know a lot more about the game then any of us ever will. That's not to say his tenure will not end up a disaster but I think he's due a little more time than a year and 3/4. Chiarelli is viewed by many as a saviour for Edmonton, and he has the Seguin trade on his resume. The biggest thing Benning has traded is Kesler which he was forced into, given essentially one team to deal with, and still came out ahead.
sk8er
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sk8er »

Jyrki21 wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:* I asked him about Willie losing the room, as I had heard a few weeks back. He said bull shit. To a man, the players he has talked to love Willie. He is a great teacher, has a ton of patience, has a calm demeanour, and doesn't publicaly dress players down. If he has an issue with you he talks to you. The players say he is a great systems guy and they love his practices. He lets players play there way out of slumps the best he can. Some of the players are pissed at the media assassination being done on him. My friend told me the players he talks to have developed a strong loyalty to Willie and don't see him as the problem.

* he does not believe there is a disconnect between management and ownership. He just believes that they all thought this transition idea was a good one. Unfortunately he believes they still do. They are pretty insistent that there will not be a full out tear down. They plan to continue the trend of moving a few vets out each year and bringing younger guys in.

* he was not surprised that Shinkaruk was traded. Said Benning has been trying to trade him from day one. Benning does not like his game and was one of the assets he identified very early as not fitting into the long term plans. They needed him to have this breakout year in Utica in order to move him. Last year he couldn't even get a second for him. He was offered up for Clendenning and Chicago said no, they wanted Forsling. LA wouldn't take him for Vey, they wanted the second. As far as my friend knows there were no off ice issues or attitude problems with him. Benning just did not like his game.

* on Miller, he does not believe Benning will trade him, now or in the summer. Benning is pretty insistent that Miller is their number one and will be next year, as the plan will be to make the playoffs next year as well. In fact Benning has said that depending upon Markstrom's development next year they would consider bringing Miller back for 1-2 years as Demko develops in the pros. He does not see Markstrom as a number one at this point. I get the sense that he sees Markstrom as the stop gap until Demko is ready. But this could change over the course of the next year I guess.
Posting here for the first time in YEARS just because of how incensed learning this has made me.

This management group pulls opinions out of thin air and then acts as though they are gospel and moves mountains to pursue their own unscientific visions. The results keep speaking for themselves -- they are terrible managers and terrible at evaluating talent -- and yet somehow they see themselves as visionaries.

Willie Desjardins might be the nicest guy on earth, but as a matter of policy he surrenders the largest advantage of being on home ice and implements literally no strategy in player deployment other than playing guys he has coached before disproportionately. He could be an OK assistant coach, maybe. He shouldn't be a bench boss. Studies have shown his heartbeat soars to crisis-type levels during game-time -- I don't think this is a guy who should be making real-time decisions.

Ryan Miller is on the decline and has shown he needs a good amount of rest. The team itself has tabbed Markström as their future goalie and he has played better with more action, and outplayed Miller through most of the season, as did his predecessor. THIS IS NOT DIFFICULT. Apart from the circular logic of declaring that "Dan Ryan is Our Number One Guy"™ (with which Willie is clearly entirely on board) there is absolutely no reason for them to be playing them in the horribly predictable manner that they have been.

The Shinkaruk thing is just idiotic. Can you imagine if they swapped a recent skilled 1st rounder for soon-to-be-waiver-eligible Linden effing Vey in 2014? For murky soon-to-be-waiver-eligible Adam Clendening? (As an aside, the fact that the Blackhawks, who do understand hockey, specifically asked for Forsling confirms all our worst fears about that trade). Shinkaruk could end up being a total bust, and the logic here is still terrible. "I don't like this player's style, he was drafted by somebody other than me, so I will excise him from the team at any cost." This is toddler logic.

Jim Benning is a cancer for this team, who has been harming its future as much as its present. His methods employ religion over science. Both intuition and results have cast the world's most obvious doubt on virtually everything he has done. He has given zero reason to believe he is intelligent or has any real concept of what he's doing. He has surrounded himself with similarly unqualified yes-men. He absolutely needs to get the boot as soon as possible.
Wow, jyrki, take a chill pill mon.,
As a great goalie said, it's only a game....why you mad?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The silver lining in all this failure is I'll be less inclined to blow off spring fishing trips for playoff runs. Just like the late 80s and early 90s we'll all have more time for outdoorsy shit
If you need air...call it in
5thhorseman
MVP
MVP

Post by 5thhorseman »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The silver lining in all this failure is I'll be less inclined to blow off spring fishing trips for playoff runs. Just like the late 80s and early 90s we'll all have more time for outdoorsy shit
Amen to that bro! I used to hate sitting in the living room with the curtains drawn to stop the glare of bright sunshine outside! Fuck all this half-assed shit. Miss the playoffs or go on a cup run!
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I actually believe Linden and Benning when they say they want to create a winning atmosphere for the young guys. I'm more than comfortable finishing just outsie of the playoffs over a lottery pick as long as the team competes every single night. Creating a culture where losing is acceptable and unspokenly encouraged is not the way to go. Not today, not ever.

That being said, just because I believe in what they are trying to do doesn't mean I agree with the choices that have been made with the young players. However, I hold out hope that they can prove us all wrong. So far they haven't.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote: Now Markstrom is not the goalie of the future? Holy crap will we ever have a goalie of the future or is the top 5 goalie Miller going to play for another 10 years?
Ummmmm, I think his name is Thatcher Demko. Have you even taken a look at the body of work he's put together this year? Granted, it's only at the NCAA level, but he looks to have all the potential that Schneider did. I'll take that, especially if he can hit that potential a year or so sooner than Schneids did.

Markstrom is expected to be our starter after Miller is gone, and then he will be replaced by Demko at the appropriate time. Very few goaltenders boasting Markstrom's experience and age could step into the starting role behind our current team without struggling mightily. Benning is probably looking at having Markstrom become the starter for the 2017-18 season with the hope that the team in front of him is more competitive.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:I actually believe Linden and Benning when they say they want to create a winning atmosphere for the young guys. I'm more than comfortable finishing just outsie of the playoffs over a lottery pick as long as the team competes every single night. Creating a culture where losing is acceptable and unspokenly encouraged is not the way to go. Not today, not ever.

That being said, just because I believe in what they are trying to do doesn't mean I agree with the choices that have been made with the young players. However, I hold out hope that they can prove us all wrong. So far they haven't.
I concur!

Tough to backup JB/TL right now, but it'll be easier when/if the young guys start taking over and producing to help out the Sedins, but that'll take some time.

This year and next good to shed some of the expensive depth vets, allocating money more appropriately, to high end scorers/dmen if we could snag one somehow.

Anyways excited to bring in more young guns and hopefully more picks.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
TDA Rum
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by TDA Rum »

Canucks interested... has 49 goals & 50 assists for Moose Jaw ... 6' 200 lbs

NEWS 1130 Sports ‏@NEWS1130Sports 10m10 minutes ago
Dryden Hunt's agent says the #Canucks have shown interest in his client but no offer from them yet.

With his junior hockey career winding down, Moose Jaw Warriors winger Dryden Hunt couldn’t have hit his stride at a better time. He’s been the WHL’s hottest scorer this month, as he’s netted four hat tricks in his last five games while tallying 14 goals and 19 points in seven contests.

“Things are just clicking right now,” says Hunt, who has produced 45 markers and 93 points in 58 matches this season. “Sometimes you go through slumps and sometimes the puck just goes in, and right now it’s going in.”

Hunt, 20, hopes his superb play with the Warriors garners the attention of NHL scouts. He has his sights set on extending his hockey career to the pro ranks next season.

“Any 20 year old in this league wants to get an NHL deal,” he says. “That’s my goal is to sign an NHL contract. But I’m focused on working hard and helping my team win games and have a good playoff."

The Nelson, B.C., native was not only passed over in the last three NHL drafts, but he was also passed over in the 2010 WHL bantam draft. He believes he’s been overlooked in the draft process because it has took him longer to develop than some of peers.

“I tend to slip through the back door it seems,” says Hunt., who attended the Montreal Canadiens' rookie camp in 2015. “I’m a bit of a late-bloomer and it took me a little longer than some guys. I’ve kept on working hard every summer and now it’s paying off for me. It’s nice to get some recognition now because I didn’t get much recognition before.”

Although it wasn’t easy to soak in at the time, Hunt feels fortunate to go through two trades in eight months because of how he ended up with the Warriors. The Regina Pats shipped him to the Medicine Hat Tigers at the 2015 trade deadline, and Medicine Hat later traded him to Moose Jaw in September due to limited 20-year-old spots.

“At the time of the trades, it was a lot to take in,” he says. “You don’t know what to expect when you’re traded. It made me stronger mentally to go through that and make those adjustments. In the end, I’m happy how it worked out because it’s great here in Moose Jaw and I am happy with the opportunity they gave me.”

The 6-foot, 201-pound Hunt prepared for his overage season by going through a vigorous offseason workout with Crash Conditioning in Calgary, Alta. He credits the training centre for his footspeed improvements.

“Crash is a huge part of my offseason,” he says. “I go there in the summer in Calgary and work hard to prepare for the season. They know I’ve had some trouble with footspeed, so we worked on getting faster and quicker and that has helped me out a lot.”

On top of his conditioning, Hunt points to teammate Brayden Point for playing a role in his big season. He’s benefited from playing alongside the Tampa Bay Lightning pick while receiving the opportunity to see firsthand the work ethic it takes to play at that high calibre of a level.

“A lot of people don’t recognize how hard he works every day,” he says. “He’s intense on the ice, is hard on the puck and works hard every day. It’s an honour to play with him and I’ve learned a lot this year with him.”