Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Strangelove »

Zedlee wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I hope he plays himself into game shape and comes back up ready to prove Torts wrong. That would be the best result for us.
If Booth has any honor he will go down there and work his tail off to get back into game shape. He's taken a lot of money from Vancouver and not earned a penny at this point.
I think he really does give it his best. :(

I think injuries have taken their toll.

I think he also needs to think less.

For a guy like Booth, the less he thinks the better.

Fucking fucked-up fucky-fuck gives a bad name to Christians!

That's what I think.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The reality for us is we need the 4.2 million dollar man to begin to perform up to expectations. He doesn't need to go on a 40 goal scoring pace but a 40 point scoring pace would be acceptable at this point. We need him to play valuable minutes without being a liability and to provide. Some secondary scoring, especially for the playoffs. We don't have 4.2 to waste.
The only HW the Canucks need
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

BurningBeard wrote:
Matthew 5:5 wrote:Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
The wicked flee though no one pursues, but the righteous are as bold as a lion.
:mex:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Fucking fucked-up fucky-fuck gives a bad name to Christians!

That's what I think.

There's a disturbance...in the force
If you need air...call it in
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Apologies if this has been brought up Elsewhere but here's Friedman on the Canucks...
22. The contract extensions for Daniel and Henrik Sedin in Vancouver are more proof of why it is so important to draft and develop homegrown talent. It is true, as Canucks GM Mike Gillis said, that they're irreplaceable in free agency, but the Canucks knew that their families, especially the children, love it there. If an organization can grow with a young player to the point where he puts down local roots, it increases your chances of keeping your best exponentially.

23. At the end of the day, it sounds like all the twins wanted from the Canucks was recognition the cap is going up and to be fairly compensated for that. Their previous deal was signed when the ceiling was under $60 million. Now it's at $64.3 million and expected to go higher (under the new CBA, it can never drop below this year's number). The organization understood that, but at $7 million, these guys are still a bargain by NHL standards.

24. There are a couple of scouts who think Canucks head coach John Tortorella will keep Ryan Kesler on Henrik Sedin's wing long-term, spreading Daniel Sedin around to create offence. I've no idea if that's what he will do, but it would be interesting to watch.

25. So why is it working early between Tortorella and his new team? A couple of theories. First, Vancouver's veterans have been willing to accept change. It's not only the shot-blocking, but things like new roles and breaking up the Sedins. Some veteran-laden clubs won't adapt to a new coach's ideas. That hasn't happened here. Another interesting idea put forward by one of the players is that they're a quiet group and Tortorella's strong personality fits with that.
Link

A few interesting tidbits in there although #25 is the one that is the most fascinating IMO.

People talk about the "swagger" this group had etc, but here's Friedman with an unnamed Canuck calling them "a quiet group."

Also I think it bears mentioning that this team deserves some praise for buying into a new regime with little or no pushback - the last time this team went through a coaching change and tried a different approach to the game we had a couple of veterans spend a couple years fucking the dog (although injuries and age played a part no doubt) and thankfully it looks like we're largely being spared that this time around.. it's a credit to the guys on this team IMO.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

dbr post - which is why AV should of been gone last season at the latest.

His message was no longer getting through and he was never holding the players accountable.

Even though the writeup does not talk about JT holding the players accountable i think he does.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Reefer2 wrote:dbr post - which is why AV should of been gone last season at the latest.
Well if Gillis would have fired AV any earlier, we probably wouldn't have ended up with Torts. All things considered, things have worked out well.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As I noted before. AV delegated locker room leadership to a core group of players. Torts is the locker room leader. Hank also earlier noted that he appreciated more clearly defined roles. I am not surprised by Friendman's comments.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I think MG summed it up bests the team goes to game 7 of the SCF. the next year the team wins the President's Trophy again but gets bounced round one. But the season was chalked up to the SC hang over. Then you have the shortened season and more is expected. They win the Division but have a lacklustre year, and get easily bounced round one. Then action was taken.

Point is, year after the cup run you give the benefit of the doubt,especially since the team has been a contender for a few years. Had they blown the Chicago series that year and lost game seven I think AV would have been gone then, but you don't fire the coach after a near perfect year where you came within one game of winning it all.

It was more than clear half way into the shortened season AV had lost the room. The early playoff exit made the decision easy. They also knew if the Rangers did anything but get to the Finals Torts was gone and he was the guy they targeted. Not revisionist history either.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BUT - when the Nucks won the presidents trophy we need to realize it was based upon playing some real crappy divisional teams. The points were hiding the warts which always came to light when the games went to the next level.

Not diminishing the fact they did win the presidents trophy.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

Reefer2 wrote:BUT - when the Nucks won the presidents trophy we need to realize it was based upon playing some real crappy divisional teams. The points were hiding the warts which always came to light when the games went to the next level.

Sorry Reefer, but you are infact, greatly diminishing the fact that we won back-to-back Presidents' trophies.

That 2010/2011 Canucks team was head over heels better than every single team that year and was one of the greatest hockey teams ever assembled. It's not farfetched to say that if the Canucks really wanted to, we could have had close to 130 points that year (i.e. in a few games, the Canucks deliberately 'tanked' as to save/conserve energy for the playoffs).

Even in 2011/2012..........while it's true that the Canucks did take advantage of the weak division (and probably wouldn't have won the PT that season had they been in a tougher divison), we still would have been a Top 5 team. No one ever complained about Detroit racking up a few Presidents' trophies in embarrassingly weak Central Divisions. Also - in facing the Kings in the first round, we were without Daniel Sedin for the first 3 games. With the exception of Game 2 in that series, each and every game was a coin flip.

Losing to a team that then destroyed every other team en route to a cup victory (give or take, Games 5 and 6 they played against the Devils in the finals because they completely relaxed) in no friggin way exposes our "warts."

Canucks were a great team that year but simply lost to an even greater team that was absolutely sizzling.

The only 'bad' year we've had in recent years was last year.............and even then, despite all of our injuries and off-ice drama, finished 7th overall in the league. We lost 4-0 to the Sharks but that series could have just as easily been 2-2.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Now we know what Ryan did when he was rehabbing.

http://youtu.be/00eR5YGRxjg
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

What I wouldn't give to have Ryan Kesler interrupt my pelvic exam. Wait a second... :?
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by vic »

Reefer2 wrote:BUT - when the Nucks won the presidents trophy we need to realize it was based upon playing some real crappy divisional teams. The points were hiding the warts which always came to light when the games went to the next level.

Further to what TBK stated...here are some other tidbits from 2010/11 and 2011/12

2010/11
Canucks finish with 117 points and an 18-4-2 record against the NW good for 38 divisional points
- The Wild picked up 33 (-5) divisional points, but ended up with 86 points overall (-31)
- The Flyers picked up 37 (-1) divisional points, but ended up with 106 points overall (-11)

2011/12
Canucks finish with 111 points and an 18-5-1 record against the NW good for 37 divisional points
- The Flames picked up 33 (-4) divisional points, but ended up with 90 points overall (-21)
- The Bruins picked up 39 (+1) divisional points, but ended up with 102 points overall (-9)
- The Blackhawks picked up 34 (-3) divisional points, but ended up with 101 points overall (-10)

So, sure the team racked up a lot of points within their division, but so did other teams. The point is that those teams didn't pick up as much points against teams outside of their division as the Canucks did. There were other teams with basically very similar records to the Canucks within the NW, but outside of the division they were not even close.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Nice find Vic.