Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

micky107
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by micky107 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:18 am

Richmond, believe or not.
Window always down for finger and screaming purposes :mrgreen:
"evolution"

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:26 am

What did you pay for your driver's license?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:14 pm

Topper wrote:What did you pay for your driver's license?
Got mine in Cloverdale in 1974, 69 Camaro, 4 speed
Rumor has it $5,000.00+ around here now,
and ya, you can tell. I could go on but I'll no doubt get shit, it's just that I,M LOSING MY FREAKIN MIND :shock: :shock:
"evolution"

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:27 pm

LOL, everyone on the south side of the river went to Cloverdale to do their test because it was the easiest place around.

I did mine in New West.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:47 pm

Topper wrote:LOL, everyone on the south side of the river went to Cloverdale to do their test because it was the easiest place around.

I did mine in New West.
Yup, everybody I knew did
"evolution"

vic
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by vic » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:15 pm

Don't know where else to post this, so I'll try here...

Thinking of going to the final game of the season on Saturday, but don't want to break the bank.

Stub Hub and Vivid Seats are selling upper bowl tickets in the $75 range, I don't trust craigslist (ebay maybe). Looking for 3 tickets - doesn't matter where we sit, but by the looks of the arena on TV lately, looks like even the scalpers are having a hard time moving tickets.

I recall hearing a while back that some scalpers were selling tickets for $20 a pop - I don't know how true that is/was, or even if an all Canadian, final regular season game would be that cheap....

Any idea on what on-site scalpers asking these days?

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:56 pm

vic wrote:Don't know where else to post this, so I'll try here...

Thinking of going to the final game of the season on Saturday, but don't want to break the bank.

Stub Hub and Vivid Seats are selling upper bowl tickets in the $75 range, I don't trust craigslist (ebay maybe). Looking for 3 tickets - doesn't matter where we sit, but by the looks of the arena on TV lately, looks like even the scalpers are having a hard time moving tickets.

I recall hearing a while back that some scalpers were selling tickets for $20 a pop - I don't know how true that is/was, or even if an all Canadian, final regular season game would be that cheap....

Any idea on what on-site scalpers asking these days?
I've been scammed on Stubhub, asshole sold tickets several times!

Craigslist is fine if you get hard tickets.

Have no idea what on site scalpers are asking.

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Topper wrote:LOL, everyone on the south side of the river went to Cloverdale to do their test because it was the easiest place around.

I did mine in New West.
West side Point Grey for me. There weren't enough parked cars on the streets back then to even have to do a proper back up parallel parking manoeuver.

Did my motorcycle road test in Burnaby. Of course it had to fuckin' rain.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:24 pm

Hank wrote:

I did mine in New West.
West side Point Grey for me. There weren't enough parked cars on the streets back then to even have to do a proper back up parallel parking manoeuver.

Did my test in Cloverdale at 10am 1967. He had me drive down Fraser highway and said "ok parallel park just imagine there are 2 cars parked.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:41 pm

okcanuck wrote:Did my test in Cloverdale at 10am 1967. He had me drive down Fraser highway and said "ok parallel park just imagine those horses are parked 2 cars.
;)
2018-19 - The Road to 82

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:52 pm

okcanuck wrote:
Hank wrote:

I did mine in New West.

Did my test in Cloverdale at 10am 1967. He had me drive down Fraser highway and said "ok parallel park just imagine there are 2 cars parked.
:lol:

You seriously couldn't find 2 cows in Cloverdale back then?

"Ok son, put it between those two jerseys. Tip 'em over and you fail."

Man, we are old. I remember when the written test was actually written.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Hank wrote:

I did mine in New West.
West side Point Grey for me.
Me too!

16 years old, didn't know the streets on that side of town, and was driving pop's pride-n-joy Caddy for the first time.

Passed with flying colours... but to be honest I had about 2 years driving experience by then. :sly:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:28 pm

Hank wrote: You seriously couldn't find 2 cows in Cloverdale back then?
There was a lot a tippin' goin' on there in the NineZero's.
8-)

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Hank » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:35 pm

BladesofSteel wrote:
Hank wrote: You seriously couldn't find 2 cows in Cloverdale back then?
There was a lot a tippin' goin' on there in the NineZero's.
8-)
Are you accusing okcanuck for the rash of unsolved bovine tip and runs that occurred in Cloverdale in the 90s?!

:mrgreen:

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Benning today on TSN:

On D

Would like Hamhuis back at a cap and term that makes sense for the team. When the season is over they will talk to him to see where he is at and if a deal can be done he will work to get it done in the next couple of weeks. Sounded weak to me, a lot of humming and hawing. Almost like he was reading a script. My take, Hamhuis will only be offered a real cap friendly, short term deal and if he wants to stay in Vancouver he will have to decide before FA and compromise. Otherwise, for the cap and term there are FA they will look at.

On Pedan: thinks he has a future with the team on D. WD wanted to try him up front because he wants a big body on wing and Pedan is an excellent forward skater and can carry the puck. Doesn't see his role as switching to winger but rather a D'man who can play a game or shift, here and there, as a winger, as the need arises.

Called Edler our number one, he isn't going anywhere. Team was in a playoff hunt until he and Sutter got injured. From there our tailspin began.

We should see a few changes on the back end but would not elaborate. I guess a lot depends upon whether they ink Hamhuis before the draft.

No other comments on D.

On college players:

First order of business is to talk to Demko's people after he is done. Wants to get him signed. Getting the surgery when they did was timed for this but Demko's recovery and the season he had somewhat surprised the Canucks. Thought it would take another season. Really want him to turn pro but it will be totally up to Demko. They won't pressure any player. Thinking we will know shortly after the Frozen Four is done.

Second, will talk to Boeser and his people when he is done. The original plan was to have him play at least, two years at ND and then assess. Boeser has had a great rookie year and has shown all the signs of being ready to turn pro. Happy with his progress and his commitment to getting better. Thinks he is ready to step into the pro game and compete for an NHL job. Doesn't yet know where his mind is at but will have a frank discussion and go from there.

Was asked if the plan was partly driven by preventing these two from becoming FA. Said yes, especially Demko who he thinks doesn't have anything left to prove at the college level. With Boeser they still have plenty of time but he just thinks he is ready to start learning the pro game.

On college FA: wouldn't discuss players by name since a lot of teams are interested. Said they are following four other players and will make decisions when the college season is done. Would not discuss the positions these players play.

On Vets:

Yes, they will sit down with players, specifically mentioned, Higgins and Burrows, to see where they are at. All players will be talked to in this regard. Anyone who doesn't want to be here will be moved (hello Miller, this is you chance to ask for a trade). Will take the time needed to make decisions on everyone on the roster.

On the season:

USA Thanksgiving is the first benchmark teams use to assess playoff projections. Generally, teams in the playoff picture then, usually, end up in the playoffs. We were in a playoff position at that point. Not using excuses but when injuries began we did not have the depth to overcome so many at the same time. Not having the depth is on him, he says. He accepts that responsibility that not having players in Utica to fill in was his responsibility. The result was that we had to play a number of kids in positions over their head, they just were not ready for the bigger roles they were given especially so many at once. The silver lining is that they got a lot of experience which should help us moving forward.

McCann is now out with a shoulder injury and Kenins has been recalled, probably to play the last two games.

On drafting:

Cannot see trading down from a top five pick but will always listen. Thinks the first three are NHL ready now. The next 2 he feels with be real good players and be ready to compete at camp. The next five are a solid group and will be good NHL players but not ready right now, 1-3 years out depending upon their development. Feels in the top ten they will have a good pick. Would not discuss any player by name, for obvious reasons of course.

On last night's game against Edmonton, did not see the game, was travelling. Did talk to WD who was not happy at all about the lack of compete. Describes the whole season that way. Stretches where we compete and look like we can beat anyone then we revert back to having a handful of games in a row where our compete level drops off. Partly explains it by on the youngsters in the line up and how hard it is for kids to learn to compete for 82 games.

On WD:

Was asked if he had any doubt about WD being back next year. His response was, as of this moment, no doubt about it, he will be back. But then said they will hold their talks when the season is done. Said they expected a drop off this year (really? I recall him saying we were a 100 point team). Said WD has done a good job working with all the kids and it getting what he can out of the line up. He is respected in the room. WD assessment to date of the team and individual performances is on page with his. My take, unless there is some mysterious revelation that comes out after the season is over, WD will be back.

Expects, gulp, we could see a bit of a drop off next year too. Perhaps posturing to get some vets to be generous when they waive. But then says if we are healthy we will compete for a wild card spot. Double messages in that one.

Nothing new other than it sounds like they have a low ball offer that makes sense for the team ready to go for Hamhuis before FA starts. Benning would like it done before the draft, one way or the other.
The only HW the Canucks need