Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:44 pm

That's just it . I could care less what he said to O'Sullivan . But when it's added into being an elite diver and head snapper , a ball baby about refs on tv , a two time hair puller , a biter etc et al . He is a shitty player at this point and he has put a bullseye on the teams back for close to the last decade . I can't imagine he and Kesler were popular with prospective free agents over the last several years . Just cut his ass loose already .
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Meds
CC Legend

Re: O'Sullivan: Canucks' Burrows mocked parental abuse

Post by Meds » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:10 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:And at this point he sucks so he really has nothing to back up his antics.
Really, that's the gist of it. If the guy was producing (like Marchand) it wouldn't matter what he was doing.

I don't give a fuck about what gets said on the ice. Highly unlikely you'll get into someone's brain saying things like "fuck you, you smell like poo." So Burrows is an asshole, big deal. He's not trying to win a Lady Byng.

But when you're a distraction and you've got no points in 12 games, making $4.5M? That's a far bigger problem than being a dink to some emotionally fragile never-was trying to promote a book.
Fuck that. How is he a distraction.

Burrows said something on the ice to a guy years ago. O'Sullivan hasn't played a NHL game since 2011-12, and he only suited up for 23 of them in that final year with the oh so amazing and talent laden Coyotes.

Now he's dragging this shit up and the media is running with it.

This isn't Burrows being a distraction, this is all on the media. And who cares. We should welcome this. If it side tracks the team and we have to go full tank at last.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:10 am

Fuck that. How is he a distraction.

Burrows said something on the ice to a guy years ago. O'Sullivan hasn't played a NHL game since 2011-12, and he only suited up for 23 of them in that final year with the oh so amazing and talent laden Coyotes.

Now he's dragging this shit up and the media is running with it.

This isn't Burrows being a distraction, this is all on the media. And who cares. We should welcome this. If it side tracks the team and we have to go full tank at last.
And Steve Moore is a wussy faker right?

Burrows may be a perfectly decent man off the ice but he should be disciplined severely by the league. This is also clearly not an isolated incident. It's a shame because he does seem like a genuine guy in real life, but inexcusable, gutless behaviour like this shouldn't be defended.

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:53 am

the toucan kid wrote:Burrows may be a perfectly decent man off the ice but he should be disciplined severely by the league. This is also clearly not an isolated incident. It's a shame because he does seem like a genuine guy in real life, but inexcusable, gutless behaviour like this shouldn't be defended.
Disciplined FOR WHAT? Non-isolated incidents of FREE SPEECH?

Freedom of speech is the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship. I defender Burrows right to say whatever the fuck he wants, even if I don't agree with it. And I defend your right to do the same.

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:01 am

I am fairly sure things like this is said in all sports all the time, remember the World Cup when the player from France whacked an opposing player in the final.

Sullivan is selling a book, a media guy gets his 15 seconds of fame, everyone gets to hate Burrows and the Nucks again. Just a typical day for Vancouver.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:11 am

griz wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:Burrows may be a perfectly decent man off the ice but he should be disciplined severely by the league. This is also clearly not an isolated incident. It's a shame because he does seem like a genuine guy in real life, but inexcusable, gutless behaviour like this shouldn't be defended.

Freedom of speech is the right to communicate one's opinions and ideas without fear of government retaliation or censorship. I defender Burrows right to say whatever the fuck he wants, even if I don't agree with it. And I defend your right to do the same.
Oh FFS, Burrows isn't going to go to jail over this. But the league is a business, and when guys like Burrows, or Avery (sloppy seconds), cause the league to look bad they are within their right to suspend them. Personally, I think it's laughable to suggest Burrows should get suspended over this. But, we know how it is these days...

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:16 am

griz wrote:

Why don't you throw the n-word around in a crowded Seattle bar and see how far free speech gets you. Free speech protects citizens from persecution by the government, it has nothing to do with the court of public opinion.

When you represent an employer or a brand, there is an understood code of conduct that applies. Whether that applies here I am uncertain, but "free speech" has absolutely fucking nothing to do with this situation.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:34 am

Reefer2 wrote:I am fairly sure things like this is said in all sports all the time, remember the World Cup when the player from France whacked an opposing player in the final.

Sullivan is selling a book, a media guy gets his 15 seconds of fame, everyone gets to hate Burrows and the Nucks again. Just a typical day for Vancouver.
Yes, I'm afraid you're right.

They've since changed the article : http://www.tsn.ca/burrows-broke-nhl-s-t ... n-1.411062 and you cannot comment on it. Funny how they limit expression on an article about condemning expression.
“I would never say who or what was said,” Simmonds said. “It’s the code of the game, right?”
According the Simmonds then O’Sullivan is the one who broke the code not Burrows.
Oh FFS, Burrows isn't going to go to jail over this. But the league is a business, and when guys like Burrows, or Avery (sloppy seconds), cause the league to look bad they are within their right to suspend them.
I don't think this is about Burrows so much as another example of media/government/corporate control. Burrows may not be going to jail over this but imagine being called out publicly for something petty you did when you were young? It wouldn't happen except ... in the gong-show of sports. This kind of crap happens with such frequency that I don't believe the league fears they'll look bad. I think they're trying to look bad on purpose. Or at least pushing the agenda of the few.

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:42 am

Rumsfeld wrote:Why don't you throw the n-word around in a crowded Seattle bar and see how far free speech gets you. Free speech protects citizens from persecution by the government, it has nothing to do with the court of public opinion.

When you represent an employer or a brand, there is an understood code of conduct that applies. Whether that applies here I am uncertain, but "free speech" has absolutely fucking nothing to do with this situation.
Are you suggesting that freedom of speech isn't worth having? If you think the n-word is bad, wait until all the letters of the alphabet are off limits too. You're just pointing out the problem (of a lack of freedom of speech) with the Seattle bar reference.

If you exchange your words 'employer' or 'brand' with 'government' that looks plain creepy.

If this isn't about free speech, then please tell me what the fuck it IS about?

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:47 am

griz wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Why don't you throw the n-word around in a crowded Seattle bar and see how far free speech gets you. Free speech protects citizens from persecution by the government, it has nothing to do with the court of public opinion.

Are you suggesting that freedom of speech isn't worth having? If you think the n-word is bad, wait until all the letters of the alphabet are off limits too. You're just pointing out the problem (of a lack of freedom of speech) with the Seattle bar reference.

If you exchange your words 'employer' or 'brand' with 'government' that looks plain creepy.

If this isn't about free speech, then please tell me what the fuck it IS about?
Do you really not understand what freedom of speech is?

When Cornuck edits one of my sweet burns, is he denying me my constitutional right to"free speech"? :lol:

Do you really think any company is going to be cool with any behaviour while you're wearing their uniform and representing their brand? Should McDonald's protect Skyo's "free speech" if he calls Reefer a fat dork at the cash register, regardless of how accurate said statement may (or may not) be?
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:04 am

griz wrote: I don't think this is about Burrows so much as another example of media/government/corporate control. Burrows may not be going to jail over this but imagine being called out publicly for something petty you did when you were young? It wouldn't happen except ... in the gong-show of sports. This kind of crap happens with such frequency that I don't believe the league fears they'll look bad. I think they're trying to look bad on purpose. Or at least pushing the agenda of the few.
If Burrows was just some average guy there might be some sympathy for the "but it was 10 years ago" talk. But when you have "regular people" getting fired for jumping on a live news broadcast yelling FHRITP, you really don't think the NHL will take notice when someone makes them (and their sponsors) squirm? He makes $4.5M USD per year to play hockey, and part of that involves being in the public eye and not making his employer(s) look bad.

Burrows (or Avery or whoever) is totally free to be a complete jackass, and the NHL is totally free to suspend them for it. There's nothing saying they have to put up with that kind of bad press.

Regardless, O'Sullivan bringing this up only helps him sell books, and doesn't really tell us anything about Burrows that we didn't already know (hint: he's a c*nt).

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:06 am

Trash talking on the ice and free speech are two completely different topics.

Was Burrows' comment in bad taste? Sure it was. Like the article mentioned, it could have resulted in a beatdown - just like in Rummy's example.

Burrows makes for a good league-wide whipping boy and O'Sullivan has no problem bringing up this incident from 10 years ago to gain pity and sell a few books. O'Sullivan also knows that by slamming Burrows he'll make a few friends around the league.

This has nothing to do with free speech, which is your legal right to say what you want no matter how fucking retarded it might be and no matter who it offends.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:11 am

Rumsfeld wrote:Do you really not understand what freedom of speech is?
Maybe I don't. Why don't you tell me what I'm not getting?
Rumsfeld wrote:Do you really think any company is going to be cool with any behaviour while you're wearing their uniform and representing their brand? Should McDonald's protect Skyo's "free speech" if he calls Reefer a fat dork at the cash register, regardless of how accurate said statement may (or may not) be?
I understand what you're putting down here. People do get fired for their freedom of speech. Freedom of speech can be painful. But it's better than not having freedom of speech. I am not a fan of collectivism (the subjugation of the individual to a group).

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:18 am

I understand what you're putting down here. People do get fired for their freedom of speech. Freedom of speech can be painful. But it's better than not having freedom of speech. I am not a fan of collectivism (the subjugation of the individual to a group).
Griz, there is no unrestrained right to freedom of speech in Canada. As you likely know, there are hate speech laws on the books.

griz
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by griz » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:30 am

Cornuck wrote:Trash talking on the ice and free speech are two completely different topics.

Was Burrows' comment in bad taste? Sure it was. Like the article mentioned, it could have resulted in a beatdown - just like in Rummy's example.

Burrows makes for a good league-wide whipping boy and O'Sullivan has no problem bringing up this incident from 10 years ago to gain pity and sell a few books. O'Sullivan also knows that by slamming Burrows he'll make a few friends around the league.

This has nothing to do with free speech, which is your legal right to say what you want no matter how fucking retarded it might be and no matter who it offends.
Yes O'Sullivan is using Burrow's freedom of speech to help sell his book.

But fundamentally we're being conditioned into believing that we should attack people for what they say. People are defined by their actions, not their words.

Imagine trying to police trash talk on the ice? Good luck with that. But when it becomes front page news on TSN? Something fishy going on IMO.