Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Island Nucklehead » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:23 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:So Linden last night said that they offered Chris Higgins to everyone and no one was willing to take him because of his contract. First, why would Linden say this? Poor Higgins having to come back knowing no one wants you. Second, I think he becomes more moveable with another year burnt off his contract or at the latest TDD 2017 when he is on an expiring contract. But the return will be putrid.
If Higgins' contract is considered brutal around the league, what does that make Dorsett's?

I get the feeling opposing GM's are feeling they can take the Canucks for a ride.

Forget capologists and trainers, this team needs a new PR manager, or three.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote: If Higgins' contract is considered brutal around the league, what does that make Dorsett's?
Well Dorsett is 4 years younger and there isn't a NTC.

Higgins contract will look better in a year when there's not much left and salaries continue to climb.

My guess is teams would send us one of their contracts they don't like if they take back Higgins, whereas it's pretty obvious we want picks or young prospects.

Maybe Veenyo would like him in the lineup next year of for the playoffs.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:34 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:So Linden last night said that they offered Chris Higgins to everyone and no one was willing to take him because of his contract. First, why would Linden say this? Poor Higgins having to come back knowing no one wants you. Second, I think he becomes more moveable with another year burnt off his contract or at the latest TDD 2017 when he is on an expiring contract. But the return will be putrid.

Glad to learn though that they are done sniffing the glue and are looking to move him out. We just have to wait. I guess if it gets bad enough we can waive him.
If 2 rookies make the team this season Higgins will either be traded for a low pick with the Canucks retaining 40% of his salary. He only has 2 years left and the team would have to eat $1M for 2 seasons to move him somewhere else, but it would be worth it.

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:37 pm

Meds wrote: If 2 rookies make the team this season Higgins will either be traded for a low pick with the Canucks retaining 40% of his salary. He only has 2 years left and the team would have to eat $1M for 2 seasons to move him somewhere else, but it would be worth it.
There's no reason we can't wait, injuries on other teams will happen and someone will be looking for depth that's in the playoff hunt. Right now every team has to calculate their cap and roster based on a full lineup.

Big Trev is just letting it be known that if/when a veteran presence is necessary to pick up the phone and give them a buzz! I kind of like all their candor.

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:51 pm

People should just conduct a hate campaign on Higgins then. Placards on the glass for TV-covered games saying "No one wants you, Higgins, not even us!". Boo him every time he touches the puck. Thow garbage at him and his family outside of the rink. Maybe he'll retire or something...

...or people can just accept him as the kidney stone that he is for the organization, take the pain and wait for him to pass. Or Benning could put him on waivers and bury him in Utica. FWIW, that may be the better option than taking salary back. At least you can call up his worthless hide if injuries mount and none of the younger prospects seem up to the challenge.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:51 pm

One of the common refrains from most fans last year was that we had too many bottom six, similar type players. Well Richardson is gone, Matthias is gone, Kassian is gone, MacMillan is gone, Sestito is long gone. Now we hear Higgins will be gone when the timing is right. Benning really was pissed off with the playoff showing given that he is willing to jettison these guys. Willing to turn it over to Virtanen, Kenins, Grenier, Gaunce with a dose of Dorsett and Prust to keep everyone honest. I like it. But I no longer live in delusions that our players have much value beyond the Rockies. Just churn over the roster Jim, just keep churning.
The only HW the Canucks need

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:55 pm

Lancer wrote:People should just conduct a hate campaign on Higgins then. Placards on the glass for TV-covered games saying "No one wants you, Higgins, not even us!". Boo him every time he touches the puck. Thow garbage at him and his family outside of the rink. Maybe he'll retire or something...

...or people can just accept him as the kidney stone that he is for the organization, take the pain and wait for him to pass. Or Benning could put him on waivers and bury him in Utica. FWIW, that may be the better option than taking salary back. At least you can call up his worthless hide if injuries mount and none of the younger prospects seem up to the challenge.

Higgins isn't worthless on this team by any stretch. He still has value, just not as a top six. I don't mind if they can't trade him for another year or so. I'm not sold on Virtanen being ready for the NHL, Utica yes but that ain't an option. I'll be glad when Higgins is gone mainly because it means a kid is ready. Besides, if we are making a play for Lucic next year we will need his 2.5 million cap space :mrgreen:

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:02 pm

RoyalDude wrote:They compare Matthews to Messier/Marleau, Puliarvi to Selanne/Nash and they say Chychrun is better than Ekblad
If we get into the lottery we have a chance at each of the top 3, there's no guarantee by finishing last you even get one of the top 3 picks!

This could be why Benning is shooting for 2016 picks. Stockpile and hopefully move up once the lottery has been decided. Having a potential legit #1 dman in Chychrun has to be very tempting. Something we've never had!

The next season I will simply enjoy watching some of the kids earn spots and embrace the change.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:05 pm

Aaronp18 wrote:Having a potential legit #1 dman in Chychrun has to be very tempting. Something we've never had!
.... cuing Skyo in . . . 3...2.....1....
Aaronp18 wrote:The next season I will simply enjoy watching some of the kids earn spots and embrace the change.
It will be nice change to have lowered expectations for a change and just relax and watch the rebuild.
2018-19 - The Road to 82

Groovypippin
CC Veteran

Post by Groovypippin » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:16 pm

Why all this worry about the salaries of Miller/Higgins/Sbisa/Prust/Dorsett etc? The Vancouver Canucks do not have a cap problem. We are likely to miss the playoffs and even if we squeak in, the team will not be loading salary to try and go on a run. We have lot's of contract dollars coming off the cap next summer and - given the strong likelihood that we miss the playoffs in an improved Western Conference - Benning will likely be an active seller at the deadline with a group of veterans happy to waive to a playoff bound team.

Folks need to got over their multiple personality disorders and recognize that a re-tooling(building) team will naturally create cap space as it sheds veterans and introduces younger players into the line-up.

I, however, am firmly against rushing unready players into the NHL strictly to please fans who want a shiny new object to fixate on. I love the current organizational approach that demands young players kick, fight and scratch for every inch they earn. You have to earn your way on to the team in Utica. You have to earn your ice time and line-up position in Utica. Then you have to earn a place on the Canuck's roster. Then you have to earn your way up from the fourth line.

This approach leads to better pros. And sure there will be talented exceptions to this approach (at least I hope so!), but it's a solid philosophy that helps prevent us ruining young talent.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't think anyone is worrying about cap past this year. We all know there is potential for a boat load to come off the books. I do think Benning will make a play for players like Lucic and Seabrook should they be available July 1st. To that extent we will need every cap dollar we can get, which is where saving 2.5 on Higgins will help. As for this year he is fine on the team unless we need the roster spot but that's not a cap concern.

Shall we start the "Stamkos is looking at real estate in Vancouver" thread :mrgreen:

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Cornuck wrote: It will be nice change to have lowered expectations for a change and just relax and watch the rebuild.
Lowered in the fact that I don't expect us to compete for a Cup or even care if we make the playoffs. Essentially lower team expectations!

However, I do have much higher expectations on our youth development and the roles they will be given on the Canucks. Probably higher expectations of individuals that we haven't seen much of in a Canucks jersey. By this I don't expect rookies to contend for the rookie scoring lead or anything but I want to see them progress as the season goes on.

I have higher expectations of Vey, Sven, Clendenning, Corrado and I'm excited to see if Horvat can take a step forward! I'm interested to see if Virtanen can make the team (if not how he develops) and I'm damn excited to see how McCann and Boeser play in junior this season (assuming McCann is still eligible).

But it is a nice change of pace, I think I'll enjoy the style of hockey we see and hopefully the work ethic from this team. Something I haven't the past few years!

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:29 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: Higgins isn't worthless on this team by any stretch. He still has value, just not as a top six. I don't mind if they can't trade him for another year or so. I'm not sold on Virtanen being ready for the NHL, Utica yes but that ain't an option. I'll be glad when Higgins is gone mainly because it means a kid is ready. Besides, if we are making a play for Lucic next year we will need his 2.5 million cap space :mrgreen:
Higgins as the 3rd line LW isn't the end of the world by any stretch, so long as he isn't expected to be the leader on that line.

Our top-6 is going to be a real interesting group though.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Bones-Vrbata

Bonino is a fringe top-6 pivot, and Baertschi is completely unproven. At this point Burrows is only a legitimate top-6 forward when he is skating with the Sedins.

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:54 pm

Cornuck wrote:
It will be nice change to have lowered expectations for a change and just relax and watch the rebuild.
Yes indeed. I can't believe people are quibbling about the relative merits of third line players or the contract quality of said when we're discussing a team that has NO CHANCE of being anything. Just look at how many teams are objectively younger and better than us. Some of you guys need to change your prescriptions for the long view.

This team is old and kinda sucks...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Finally finished listening to the Summer Summit. A few things stuck out for me.

1) gawd fans are jerks. Some really self righteous questions. Fans trying to be pissed off because it is fashionable and be critical for the sake of being critical

2) gawd some informed fans that get it.

3) loved the Benning and Linden push back. Linden after explaining the plan, again, said its the only way we are interested in doing it. Leaves no question that they have a plan

3) Benning on the goalies, look, I think the only way to proceed is to have a true and tested number one and that's the way it's going to be

4) on the Kassian/Prust debate, Kassian has had three years and three coaches and not every trade is about getting younger. Prust will bring in every night and every shift

5) wants the young players to have a safe work environment and not get beat up every night.

6) won't sacrafice what they have started for quick fixes or shortcuts.

7) reiterated their extreme disappointment in the playoff showing.mCalgary brought emotion, we didn't

8) on management turnover Linden explained he knew we were top heavy but did not want to make changes in haste last year. Wanted a chance to fully evaluate. Nothing wrong with management disagreements but the management goals must be the same.

Both Benning and Linden had some push back to all the chicken littles. Of course Trevor also had the golden smile and ah shucks thing going but that's why they got him. After listening to the whole thing I feel more convinced that they know what they are doing, they know the challenges the face, they have a plan. And yes, they still think you can rebuild on the fly.

Other than that, don't waste an hour listening to it unless you are constipated on a toilet somewhere.