Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote:Only two guaranteed top 6 scorers's avail....Lupul and Erikisson.
Guaranteed in Hot Tub TimeMachine.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Because some numbers better transfer to the NHL instead of the Comets.

It seems our coaching/mgm/ crew knows what the fuck the'yre doing...hence Kenins.
What numbers are those oh great Skyo?
You can't google? plus it ain't all about numbers...hence the coaches know wtf they doin'
As far as numbers go Jensen is only .10 Pt/G behind DeFazaio. His +/- is pretty much worse, but he's also younger and considered to have more upside. Bringing him up again might make more sense.

Cal O'Reilly is 28 years old. DeFazio is 26. I think they would have to clear waivers to be sent back to Utica down the road.

There is also the fact that Benning and Linden have stated they want to develop young players in a winning environment. Move Defazio or O'Reilly out of Utica and the team might struggle. In O'Reilly's case, he's 28 years old, so chances are he's not likely crack the NHL as a regular anymore, he showed some promise while with the Predators, even at the NHL level, but then he fell off the map when he went to Phoenix. His numbers are OK right now in the AHL, but they aren't amazing, and his numbers everywhere between Nashville and his landing in Utica are absolutely horrible.

Who knows. Who cares. Bringing up a 22 year old in Jensen shows more commitment to a youth movement than calling up a 26 or 28 year old in DeFazio or O'Reilly.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I wouldn't follow the numbers in Utica as much as you'd follow another team. The Canuck prospects are clearly 3rd and 4th liners who get little to no PP time and aren't put in prime positions to get lots of points. I know everyone likes to box score watch but it's really hard to tell how guys are playing on this team specifically from doing that.

Jensen I'm not sure about, he has a hell of a shot and is a big body but he disappears for long stretches. I guess lots of scorers are the same. Not a great two way player but if he can score 15-20 he's a valuable player, especially on this team where there are a ton of two way wingers.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Diehard1 wrote: Jensen I'm not sure about, he has a hell of a shot and is a big body but he disappears for long stretches. I guess lots of scorers are the same. Not a great two way player but if he can score 15-20 he's a valuable player, especially on this team where there are a ton of two way wingers.
Don't the Canucks have a player like that on the team? WD only likes two type of players: 1) players who used to play for him, 2) players that can play a 200 ft game. :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

mathonwy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Jensen recalled. Bonino day to day. Burrows unlikely.

So, if Burrows and Bonino can't go next game does Jensen call in? If so, who sits? Kassian or McMillon?

I hope it's McMillon who sits in favour of Jensen. We need a goal scorer not another fourth line plumber.

If Jensen does get in does he play with the twins? Does Vrbata? Or do we keep Kassian there?

I'd be tempted to start Kassian with the twins, have Jensen and Vrbata on the second line with Vey. But that's just me. What does WD do?
Hey HDub,

Any idea why they called up Jensen instead of Defazio or O'Reilly? Jensen's numbers are pretty horrible (especially his assist numbers) and the Comets have a nice 9 point cushion at the top of their division.
No, no idea. Benning neglected to call me to explain :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

but I would assume, give Benning's comments about needing a top six scorer and that they may have one in Utica in Jensen but would have to see, that....they need a body and have decided to try and get him some games to see how he transitions back into the NHL. That plus we have four centres we are rolling with at the moment.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Mëds wrote: Cal O'Reilly is 28 years old. DeFazio is 26. I think they would have to clear waivers to be sent back to Utica down the road.
In terms of waivers, from CBA:

Code: Select all

(d) A Player 25 years old or older who plays in one or more Professional Games in
the 2013-14 season will be exempt from Regular Waivers as follows:
Season Regular Waivers
13-14 Exempt
14-15 Eligible 

"Professional Games" includes the following: any NHL Games played, all minor
league regular season and playoff games and any other professional games played, including but
not limited to, games played in any European league or any other league outside North America,
by a Player pursuant to his SPC. 
So if I'm interpreting this correctly neither DeFazio or O'Reilly are subject to waivers if they get called up for the rest of the current system. Interestingly enough, they become waiver eligible the following year which doesn't make any sense to me but whatever.
Mëds wrote: There is also the fact that Benning and Linden have stated they want to develop young players in a winning environment. Move Defazio or O'Reilly out of Utica and the team might struggle. In O'Reilly's case, he's 28 years old, so chances are he's not likely crack the NHL as a regular anymore, he showed some promise while with the Predators, even at the NHL level, but then he fell off the map when he went to Phoenix. His numbers are OK right now in the AHL, but they aren't amazing, and his numbers everywhere between Nashville and his landing in Utica are absolutely horrible.

Who knows. Who cares. Bringing up a 22 year old in Jensen shows more commitment to a youth movement than calling up a 26 or 28 year old in DeFazio or O'Reilly.
I agree with everything you say. I'm thinking though based on where the Canucks are currently from a standings and opponents point of view, I would have given some thought to bringing up some veterans with better overall stats then Jensen who is having one of the worst seasons of his career. Jensen is not known to be a relentless energy guy and is also not known for being a solid 2 way forward. Considering points are so valuable right now, bringing up a vet that can take a NHL shift and not hurt the team would have been an option I would have considered.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Diehard1 wrote:I wouldn't follow the numbers in Utica as much as you'd follow another team. The Canuck prospects are clearly 3rd and 4th liners who get little to no PP time and aren't put in prime positions to get lots of points. I know everyone likes to box score watch but it's really hard to tell how guys are playing on this team specifically from doing that.

Jensen I'm not sure about, he has a hell of a shot and is a big body but he disappears for long stretches. I guess lots of scorers are the same. Not a great two way player but if he can score 15-20 he's a valuable player, especially on this team where there are a ton of two way wingers.
I did a little homework last night on Jensen.

Down in Utica, As of January 11, Nick's getting about 24.09 in ice time, about 3 shots a game and has scored 10 goals (with 10A) from 109 shots which equals to a 9.17% shooting percentage. Compared to other players his age (in the top 40 of AHL scoring):

* 21 year old Nick Cousins (2011, 68th) has scored 17 goals(and 31A) from 107 shots (15.89 shooting %).
* 20 year old Charles Hudon (2012, 122nd) has scored 12 goals (and 33A) from 114 shots (10.53 shooting %)
* 21 year old Viktor Arvidsson (2014, 122th) has scored 17 goals (and 26A) from 201 shots (10.45 shooting %)
* 20 year old Connor Brown (2012, 156th) has scored 15 goals (and 25A) from 93 shots (16.13 shooting %)
* 21 year old Alan Quine (2013, 166th) has scored 12 goals (and 28A) from 87 shots (13.8 shooting%)

Nick's numbers are looking pretty sad compared to other players his age. His assist numbers are particularly sorry looking.

And just for shits and giggles, I looked up his draft year (which was 2011, 29th overall) and the guy that was drafted right after him, Rickard Rakell, is having a nice little 26 point season down in Anaheim. There were actually quite a few second rounders that have made the jump to the NHL (and some are doing quite well): Jurco, Clendening (Yep, our Clendening), Jenner, Saad, Rask, Jaskin, Gibson, Granlund, Nieto, Kucherov!!!). As a first round draft pick, I think it's safe to say that Nick is developing at a significantly slower pace than both players from his draft class as well as similarly aged players in the AHL.

I did get wind though that he was supposedly injured in January but I can't find any official documentation saying as much.

Anyways, based on his numbers alone, I really can't see Nick making the Canucks in the next couple years considering that; he's supposed to be a top 6 guy but he only has 10A. If Jensen is going to be a shoot first type of player, he needs to drastically up his shot count.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

3 shots a game over a full season typically puts you in the top 20-25 in the league for shots. Other than Daniel Sedin nobody on this team puts that kind of rubber on net.

I'm not trying to say that Jensen is panning out, of course.

But O'Reilly and DeFazio are pure ringers, on the payroll exclusively to give Utica a veteran presence so kids like Jensen and Gaunce don't crumble under the pressure to carry a team they're just trying to contribute for. Even if They could be reassigned to Utica without waivers once we get healthy (or healthier), what's the point of wasting a development opportunity and roster spot on them when the franchise claims to be encouraging a youth movement?

Jensen will be waiver eligible soon himself, and the team needs to determine what - if anything - he has to offer before that time.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

dbr wrote: Jensen will be waiver eligible soon himself, and the team needs to determine what - if anything - he has to offer before that time.
Yep good point. Thanks.
black ace
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by black ace »

Dont put too much stock in AHL numbers. Kenins has 12 points in 36 AHL games (.33 ppg) and 7 pts in 11 NHL games (.63ppg). Of course he wont be able to sustain it but they put the right guy in the right spot and it has worked out. Then didnt try and put Jensen on the 4th line. They put a guy in a position to be himself.
2011 BC Sports Central CFL Pool Champion
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

It gets even more confusing......

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=754608

Jensen sent back to Utica today.

I wonder if they called him up just to come watch the game in New York and spend a bit of time around the team while the Canucks were in that area. Makes very little sense, but who knows.

Either that or Bonino or Burrows is going to be back for the next game and Kassian is looking better and better over the last month. Maybe WillieD and Lindenning have decided that what they see in Zack is worth the effort?

Frig.....
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Mëds wrote:It gets even more confusing......

I wonder if they called him up just to come watch the game in New York and spend a bit of time around the team while the Canucks were in that area. Makes very little sense, but who knows.

Either that or Bonino or Burrows is going to be back for the next game and Kassian is looking better and better over the last month. Maybe WillieD and Lindenning have decided that what they see in Zack is worth the effort?

Frig.....
Maybe they wanted to show him what a former speedy soft perimeter prospect is capable of if he gets his ass traded and waived twice in 4 months
If you need air...call it in
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Frig.....

Bonino was day to day but no word on Burrows but I would guess that you are right, one or both of them will be back.
The only HW the Canucks need
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Frig.....
Maybe just a paid trip to see the boss. He's definitely on the radar for the team. Could be a Higgins replacement with that beard of his.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Tom quits

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=754668

The youth movement continues....Onward Canuckian soldiers!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)