Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:
JelloPuddingPop wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Meds wrote:...I think 1st unit should be earned.
Which is more or less my issue with Vey on it. If anyone has earned that spot this year, its Bonino.
Vey is our leading PP scorer, and if they add Bonino to the 1st unit, it basically neuters an already struggling 2nd group.
If putting Vey there is 'neutering' then does he really deserve to be in the top unit? Bonino produced playing on the Ducks top unit last year...one might consider that a sign he should be in our top unit.
Different positions on different PP units.

Capiche?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

They're both natural centers...pretty sure they could handle it.

Bonino is white hot right now, guy deserves a look w/ the Twins on the pp.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Archibald for Sestito/Kassian, Jensen for Vrbata.
Is Jensen still classified as a rookie?
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote: Archibald for Sestito/Kassian, Jensen for Vrbata.
Is Jensen still classified as a rookie?
Yes
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Vey subs for a defenceman on the first unit, he does not play centre. Are you suggesting he centre the second unit or do you believe he centres the 1st unit?

The role he plays on the first unit is not interchangeable with Bonino's second unit centre role. Only the blind or someone not watching would suggest they have the same roles.

As I noted last week last week.

viewtopic.php?p=216823#p216823
Could Bonino play Vey's PP role more effectively? That would mean Richardson or Mathias centre the second PP unit.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:They're both natural centers...pretty sure they could handle it.

Bonino is white hot right now, guy deserves a look w/ the Twins on the pp.
One of the reasons that Bonino is "white hot" is because he's not playing with the Sedins.

Our secondary scoring has produced like this because they don't play the Sedin style of hockey that we have seen the entire team pattern themselves after for the last couple of seasons. Opponents figured it out, know how to beat it now. The only reason the Sedins can actually still make it work at all is because they are exceptionally talented at applying it.....it's theirs after all.

All of our lines seem to play a slightly different style.

The Sedins cycle.

Higgins, Bones, and Burrows, are the most versatile. They like to create off of the rush, but can also dump-chase, and even cycle to a degree.

Matthias, Richardson, and Kassian, like the rush and the dump and chase.

Dorsett, Vey, and Hansen, come with speed and energy, and create off of forced turnovers and hard work.

Bonino with the Sedins would be a waste. They would slow things down too much and he wouldn't be as useful.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

I agree with Meds on this one. To have a diversity of how each line plays is far more effective. Bonino so far is a huge win of an acquisition, and a big part of his success is who he is playing with, and also the fact that he is not playing on the first line.
more cap space!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Meds, KK, you do realize the discussion is Bonino replacing Vey on the 1st unit PP?

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:Meds, KK, you do realize the discussion is Bonino replacing Vey on the 1st unit PP?
Yes I do.

The same reasoning applies. The 2nd unit's approach to the PP is different, Bones makes his hay on plays where everyone is moving, and playing the center position, something he wouldn't do if on a line with Hank. When the Sedins slow it down the defending PK recovers and picks up their assignments. This would hamper Bonino's ability to get a pass and get a shot off quickly.

Also, Vey is good at supporting the play away from the puck. This is true both on the PP and 5-on-5. He reads open ice and goes there. This was particularly noticeable in the game against Washington where he had several good chances on setups by Dorsett after forcing turnovers. Drosett just sent the puck to the open slot and Vey was heading there. His PP goal against the Hurricanes was a really good example of how he heads to the right area to support on offense. The centering pass was intended for Daniel but Dank was tied up, Vey had wheeled around and was coming in behind and the puck came through to him with a fairly open net.

Vey is not someone who could anchor the 2nd PP unit at this point in time.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Meds wrote:
Topper wrote:Meds, KK, you do realize the discussion is Bonino replacing Vey on the 1st unit PP?
yup topper
more cap space!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:Vey subs for a defenceman on the first unit, he does not play centre. Are you suggesting he centre the second unit or do you believe he centres the 1st unit?

The role he plays on the first unit is not interchangeable with Bonino's second unit centre role. Only the blind or someone not watching would suggest they have the same roles.

Could Bonino play Vey's PP role more effectively? That would mean Richardson or Mathias centre the second PP unit.
Ok, I'll spell it out for you. Vey is a natural center. He could easily handle centering the 2nd unit. The Canucks play w/ 4 forwards on that unit, Vey is in the slot as a shooter. Bonino had success in Anahiem last year w/ a 4-forward unit. Sound familiar? You come across like a [mod edit] confusing what I said but the truth is you're just fabricating opportunities to be a [mod edit] as per usual.

I'll let nhl.com explain it further if it hasn't sunk in quite yet.
Bonino's power-play production has been the biggest surprise of all. After seeing only 1:46 per game in those situations last season with three points, his minutes with the man advantage have spiked to 2:56 per game in 2013-14. His 17 power-play points this season have him tied with the Chicago Blackhawks' tandem of Patrick Sharp and Duncan Keith for 14th in the NHL.
He would finish the year w/ 7 goals and 20 points on the man advantage. A bit more of a track record there than Mr. Vey. Bonino just happens to be on fire right now and his shot is lethal. Might be worth a look. :idea:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

kelowna kanuck wrote:
Meds wrote:
yup topper
Doesn't sound like you do.
kelowna kanuck wrote:I agree with Meds on this one. To have a diversity of how each line plays is far more effective. Bonino so far is a huge win of an acquisition, and a big part of his success is who he is playing with, and also the fact that he is not playing on the first line.
Bonino's success has nothing to do w/ being on the 2nd unit, literally zero production.
Last edited by ClamRussel on Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Meds wrote:Vey is not someone who could anchor the 2nd PP unit at this point in time.
No but he could center it.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ClamRussel wrote:
Topper wrote:Vey subs for a defenceman on the first unit, he does not play centre. Are you suggesting he centre the second unit or do you believe he centres the 1st unit?

Ok, I'll spell it out for you. Vey is a natural center. He could easily handle centering the 2nd unit. The Canucks play w/ 4 forwards on that unit, Vey is in the slot as a shooter. Bonino had success in Anahiem last year w/ a 4-forward unit. Sound familiar? You come across like a moron confusing what I said but the truth is you're just fabricating opportunities to be a prick as per usual.

I'll let nhl.com explain it further if it hasn't sunk in quite yet.
Bonino's power-play production has been the biggest surprise of all. After seeing only 1:46 per game in those situations last season with three points, his minutes with the man advantage have spiked to 2:56 per game in 2013-14. His 17 power-play points this season have him tied with the Chicago Blackhawks' tandem of Patrick Sharp and Duncan Keith for 14th in the NHL.
He would finish the year w/ 7 goals and 20 points on the man advantage. A bit more of a track record there than Mr. Vey. Bonino just happens to be on fire right now and his shot is lethal. Might be worth a look. :idea:
ClamRussel wrote:
Meds wrote:Vey is not someone who could anchor the 2nd PP unit at this point in time.
No but he could center it.

Moron? Prick? Really Clam? Did you miss the memo or simply choose to ignore it?

Thank you for answering my question and stating that you want the fourth line centre, Linden Vey, to take over centring the second power play unit and that you believe he can "easily handle" it.

Linden Vey 38.8% in the faceoff dot, but can "easily handle" it?

Linden Vey currently has 3 PP goals playing fourth forward on the 1st unit PP is not only the most on the team but projects to 15 on the season.

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Last year Tortorella dismissed the idea of having right handed shots on the PP to play with the Sedins and the results spoke for themselves - 26th overall in the league on the PP.

This year they have RH shots in Vey and Vrbata and the PP is now middle of the pack.

Powerplay ice time is not about rewarding 5 on 5 proficiency - see Alex Burrows for proof. It's about fit. As long as Vey doesn't get destroyed 5 on 5 in his 4th line matchup, he'll stay in the lineup and I would expect to see him on the first unit PP.