Canucks News and Notes

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Was speaking with a friend tonight. He was talking to a player after yesterday's game and sort of asked him about the alleged threats by MG to start making changes. The player told him that the NTC will not be a problem. If the Canucks want to move out guys with NTC all it does will allow those players to have some control over where they go. Basically said that none of the players would stay if they were asked to waive, when the team wants to move on you go, you just try to control the situation that is best for your family and career.

My friend said that it sounded to him that more than one player has discussed the issue and they seem resigned to the fact that if they don't get it done then several of them will find themselves gone. He did say that a number of players would be reluctant to waive until the summer, not wanting a mid season move but if the right opportunity came along, i.e. to a contender.....

This player did reiterate to my friend that no one in the dressing room is talking about moving on, they still want to be in Vancouver and win it here. He also said that he doubted Luongo would want to stay around for a re-build. Also noted that the twins would be pretty pissed if a re-build happened and that players like Kesler would test FA at the first chance.

Seems like the love affair with MG and the players is a little strained right now. There are players like Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo and the twins that want MG to do whatever it takes to make the team a contender and those same players don't want to be part of a re-build. Interesting times. The Olympic break is coming at the right time for this team, well a week ago would have been better.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Groovypippin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:01 pm

Hockey Widow wrote: There are players like Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo and the twins that want MG to do whatever it takes to make the team a contender and those same players don't want to be part of a re-build. Interesting times. The Olympic break is coming at the right time for this team, well a week ago would have been better.


As a fan I would in turn ask that these core players do whatever it takes to turn the fortunes of this team around. I give Henrik a pass currently. He is playing through a significant, painful injury. The others don't get a pass, particularly Daniel who looks completely listless right now. You want want this core kept together and the future mortgaged for the present? Pull your freaking socks up.
Groovypippin
CC Veteran
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:08 am

Hockey Widow wrote:The player told him that the NTC will not be a problem. If the Canucks want to move out guys with NTC all it does will allow those players to have some control over where they go. Basically said that none of the players would stay if they were asked to waive, when the team wants to move on you go, you just try to control the situation that is best for your family and career.


I guess if MG has to blow up the team, he can just approach the guys with NTC and tell them the situation and ask for a list of teams they would be willing to go to. We probably won't get very much for those guys, but u gotta do what u gotta do.


players like Kesler would test FA at the first chance.


Does Kes have a NTC? If we rebuild, we gotta trade Kes. I think he still has 2 years on his deal and he's probably our most valuable asset and we should get the most for him if we shop him around in a potential trade.
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 1278
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:22 am

Interested to know how much the "missing the playoffs is not an option" was directed at the coaching staff as well as the players.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4972
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby RoyalDude » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:11 am

Interesting times for Mike Gillis, he re-tools, the core gets angry, what does the whimp do, let players run the team or himself? Bold Moves vs The Process? What will it be? Stay tuned, this is getting real good!
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:55 pm

Topper wrote:Interested to know how much the "missing the playoffs is not an option" was directed at the coaching staff as well as the players.


Most likely this was directed at Gillis on down.

Gillis has probably been told that missing the playoffs isn't an option or it's his ass for over-selling the team to Aquaman.

Gillis is passing that along to his reset button and also dumping it on the players.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Meds » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:58 pm

RoyalDude wrote:Interesting times for Mike Gillis, he re-tools, the core gets angry, what does the whimp do, let players run the team or himself? Bold Moves vs The Process? What will it be? Stay tuned, this is getting real good!


If he's unwilling to admit to himself that this team has failed to pass the process then he needs to be shown the door. Being a wimp will have nothing to do with this, it will have to do with whether or not he's too proud to admit that he needs to correct a few mistakes.
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3439
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby sagebrush » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Owners want play off revenue, but acquiring rentals to make the playoffs usually undermines the team's future.

It's going to be interesting to see the changes resulting from dissapointing results. Anyone can steer the boat when it's calm. Now we get to see what Gillis is made of.
User avatar
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby herb » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:38 pm

So the Canucks can't score goals.

Why then have we not seen 2011 draft pick Alexandre Grenier, who is the Comets' second leading scorer?
User avatar
herb
CC Hall of Fan Member
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:17 pm
Location: Mars

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Strangelove » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I'd say it's pretty obvious that Gillis is looking to trade one of our core dee to a contender for a young forward.

Might have to take a cap-dump back if that forward is on an entry-level deal.

Might have to throw in a first round pick or a player like Hansen.

Veteran top 4 dee signed to good contracts are hard to come by.

Maybe some team that is desperate for their perceived shot at the Cup?

The likely trade candidate....

Image

But probably any one of the other top-4 dee are available... if The Price is Right.

Gillis can't force a fair trade though, if it doesn't appear, it doesn't happen.

I mean: He's not the type to crap his pants and make a panic move.

Even if the wops were threatening to can him, he's not going to trade for the sake of trading.

So solid move or no move says I, and it's beyond the control of just Gillis.
____
The Ring Leader
User avatar
Strangelove
CC Legend
 
Posts: 7524
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Topper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:18 pm

Strangelove wrote:Even if the wops were threatening to can him, he's not going to trade for the sake of trading.

Unless the head of one of Tortorellas dogs ends up in his bed.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4972
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby SKYO » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Topper wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Even if the wops were threatening to can him, he's not going to trade for the sake of trading.

Unless the head of one of Tortorellas dogs ends up in his bed.

LOL agreed

I think MG's demands have been unusually high for a return on a trade, he needs to lower his expectations just a tad in potential deal.
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:09 pm

I would love to know the truth about the alleged Detroit deal for Edler. Was this another blown opportunity or just a trade for potentials that was turned down? Just think, if MG had traded Luongo BEFORE the new CBA the team would be off the hook for any future cap recapture, I.e. Nash. The one grandfathering of front load contracts.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby givemeda411 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:09 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I would love to know the truth about the alleged Detroit deal for Edler. Was this another blown opportunity or just a trade for potentials that was turned down? Just think, if MG had traded Luongo BEFORE the new CBA the team would be off the hook for any future cap recapture, I.e. Nash. The one grandfathering of front load contracts.


Someone I know close to management is saying Vancouver wants Mantha and Smith for Edler now.
givemeda411
CC Rookie
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:20 pm

Re: Canucks News and Notes

Postby Hockey Widow » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 pm

Anthony Mantha

Val' Dor

Right wing

6'0. 190lbs

Shoots left

42 games played

43 goals

47 assists

90 points

+18

Ok, get er done
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4210
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 1 guest