Page 15 of 19

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:26 pm
by herb
Canucks now have an 93% chance of winning the division and a 99.9% chance of qualifying for the playoffs. Division is all but a mathematical lock now. Minnesota has picked a great time to go on a skid! They've now lost 6 of their last 10 games.

Canucks still could play one of St Louis, LA, San Jose, Minnesota or even Detroit in the first round. San Jose or Minnesota would be good, St Louis would be OK and LA would be terrible luck (again). Detroit has tore us apart twice this year, but on paper, they should be beatable. I'd rather see Detroit play Chicago.

Nashville, Edmonton, Calgary, Columbus and Colorado are either eliminated or all but eliminated from the playoffs. Phoenix, Dallas, Columbus and especially Edmonton need to pretty much win out to qualify.

What happened to Nashville this year? Jeez.

So, what I'm hoping for as the regular season winds down is for LA to stay out of the 6th spot, and Minnesota and Detroit are welcome to lose most of their remaining games. Other than that, I don't really care who we play in the first round.

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm
by Hockey Widow
Who knew that Heatley was the glue that held that team together :mrgreen:

Seriously though if Minny keeps this up they could find themselves slipping out of a playoff spot. They are only a few more losses away from 8th and then ...

Tampa, Philly need goaltending :D

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:55 am
by Meds
I don't care who we face. The effort has been there the last few games. Going to the net, looking for dirty goals. It's all good.

But.....

If this team doesn't find a way to actually start capitalizing a few more times per game it won't matter who we face because we'll be out in a hurry. I would also like to point out that in the last few wins where the team has looked much more focused and ready to put the work in and pay the price, the defense has not been subjected to an aggressive forecheck. LA, SJ, Detroit, and St. Louis, are all going to bring the pressure and I fear we will be watching our defense turn the puck over and give up odd man chances. I know everyone likes to think we look good on the blueline, but the fact is that when they get pressured there has been no answer.

As for LA, I don't see them as being as big of a threat this year. They will play hard for Daryl, but they haven't gotten the goaltending from Quick that they did down the stretch last year.....and it has nothing to do with a short summer. The really sad thing for us though is that they are better at scoring goals, not by much, but they are better. They are also stronger up front than we are, physically speaking.

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:37 am
by Topper
Boston could face Toronto.

Rask vs Reimer
Seguin vs Kessel

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:12 am
by Meds
Topper wrote:Boston could face Toronto.

Rask vs Reimer
Seguin vs Kessel
In this case Toronto is done in 5 games. Fans won't care, they tasted the playoffs for the first time in nearly a decade. Ownership might be pissed, but if they are ousted by the Bruins then they probably won't be overly upset over not getting Luongo. Though he probably would have gotten them to game 6 by winning the first couple on home ice.

:P

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:42 pm
by Arachnid
Topper wrote:Boston could face Toronto.

Rask vs Reimer
Seguin vs Kessel
It's funny 'cause there are a lot of Bruins fans here...with their team sucking the paint off the ice for the 2000's a lot of them starting cheering for a winner and it t'weren't gonna be the dreaded Habs or Sens...Buffalo is not considered an NHL team for them either.

When the Canucks played Boston I took a lot of attacks and chants of Go B's.

I will, most of us will be cheering for our nemesis if they were to meet in round 1

There is one prominent dick in our neighbourhood whose nephew is an all-star and plays in the East. He was all over me (after the fact, I might add) when we lost game 7. Harassing me in public when I was with my family, wearing my gang colours proudly in tha 'hood...oh you're day is coming Mr. Dick, don't you worry, where my revenge will be sweeeeeeeeet..... 8-)

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:54 pm
by Mondi
I'd root for Toronto against Boston, no question.

The question is how would the CBC handle it? Lots of former Bruins and Leafs working for that station.

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:26 pm
by Hockey Widow
Mondi wrote:I'd root for Toronto against Boston, no question.

The question is how would the CBC handle it? Lots of former Bruins and Leafs working for that station.

Thats a tough one. I guess I would hope for a 7 game series where the goals against are horrific and a lot of injuries pile up. And then I hope TO loses and the second guessing can begin about what could have been if only they had an NHL caliber goaltender.

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:12 pm
by Jovocop
Hockey Widow wrote:
Mondi wrote:I'd root for Toronto against Boston, no question.

The question is how would the CBC handle it? Lots of former Bruins and Leafs working for that station.

Thats a tough one. I guess I would hope for a 7 game series where the goals against are horrific and a lot of injuries pile up. And then I hope TO loses and the second guessing can begin about what could have been if only they had an NHL caliber goaltender.
It would be nice if the scores are lopsided in all the games... :twisted: :mrgreen:

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:14 pm
by Cornuck
Hockey Widow wrote:
Mondi wrote:I'd root for Toronto against Boston, no question.

The question is how would the CBC handle it? Lots of former Bruins and Leafs working for that station.

Thats a tough one. I guess I would hope for a 7 game series where the goals against are horrific and a lot of injuries pile up. And then I hope TO loses and the second guessing can begin about what could have been if only they had an NHL caliber goaltender.
You're not thinking BIG enough! How about their two planes returning from game 2 (series ties 1-1) and they collide in mid-air? :devil:

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:08 pm
by Lancer
Cornuck wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Mondi wrote:I'd root for Toronto against Boston, no question.

The question is how would the CBC handle it? Lots of former Bruins and Leafs working for that station.

Thats a tough one. I guess I would hope for a 7 game series where the goals against are horrific and a lot of injuries pile up. And then I hope TO loses and the second guessing can begin about what could have been if only they had an NHL caliber goaltender.
You're not thinking BIG enough! How about their two planes returning from game 2 (series ties 1-1) and they collide in mid-air? :devil:
Now you're talking... :twisted:

What are the odds we could slip some Russian aircrew onto their charter planes with a case of vodka under the seats???

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:02 am
by darren
Hockey Widow wrote: Seriously though if Minny keeps this up they could find themselves slipping out of a playoff spot. They are only a few more losses away from 8th and then ...
Yep, although the team that's *really* playing with fire is Detroit. http://www.playoffstatus.com/nhl/westernstandings.html gives them a 40% chance of missing.... the Stars (60% chance of missing) have really come on in spite of their sell-off. Blue Jackets and Coyotes have a 10% chance each of getting in.
I figure Detroit is due to miss one of these years, (Aren't they? I've been thinking that since the salary cap came in. :wow: ), but I would rather watch Detroit than most of the alternatives. Would love to see Columbus make it (their fan base has suffered enough), and an epic collapse by the Wild would please me.

Playoffs? Bring on LA, please. We have to beat them all, and if we stay healthy we can, so let's start with revenge.

(edit: just looked it up. Detroit has made the playoffs for 21 straight seasons. :shock:

edit: Unless the TML team plane crashes next week, the Oilers will soon be the proud owner of the longest active streak of playoff misses, at 7 years. :lol:

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:07 pm
by herb
I'm definitely rooting for Columbus to squeak in.

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:25 am
by wafflecombine
Looks like Tambalenni's time in Edmonton is done and McTavish is now the GM.
Interesting times out there as the Oilers perform below expectations yet again.

Re: OOTS...2013

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:07 pm
by Hockey Widow
They needed to try and trade one of their young talented guys for some D. They could use a veteran goalie to replace the Bulin Wall next year. Duby seems to be OK for now but certainly they need some upgrade in net. But it is defence that they lack.

Maybe we can trade them Ballard in the off season for Yak? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: