Edler signs -- 6 years, 30 mil

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: Edler signs -- 6 years, 30 mil

Post by Topper »

RoyalDude wrote:After 5 drafts now, what draft picks,since Mike Gillis has been here, made the final cut today for this season? How many Mike Gillis regime draft picks are on this roster?
He turned a stump into a second line winger.

Edler is a slight move off the $4.5mil threshold that the rest of the corps have been held at. Interesting move by GMMG.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Holy shit, expected 6 mil not years... :lol:

Edler is our stud now...officially. Hometownboy made in Sweden hahaha.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
ODB
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by ODB »

He would have received offers of 6+ per season in six months. It's a very good deal for the Canucks.
BTW, NOT A FLAME ... JUST AN OBSERVATION ... :P
Brick Tamland
CC Veteran

Post by Brick Tamland »

The amount of negativity out there, especially on Twitter tells me this is a fantatic signing. Count me in with the group that thought he would get north of 6 long term. He may not be a true #1, but he is most certainly a first pairing guy. As it stands the Canucks have 3 first pairing type dman. Not to shabby IMO.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Brick Tamland wrote:The amount of negativity out there, especially on Twitter tells me this is a fantatic signing. Count me in with the group that thought he would get north of 6 long term. He may not be a true #1, but he is most certainly a first pairing guy. As it stands the Canucks have 3 first pairing type dman. Not to shabby IMO.

Don't forget, around here where everyone tows the Gillis company line, that Mason Raymond and Alex Edler are the whipping boys and Keith Ballard, David Booth and Manny Malhotra are the favorite sons. Are we surprised that the Edler signing recieved negative commentary around here? They still think that Raymond at $2.275 million is a rip off but have no problem paying the monies that Booth and Ballard get.

At his age, and when healthy Alex Edler is an awesome D-man, the best on this team, there would not be a team in this league that would have a problem paying those numbers or more.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

For those who missed breakdown of Alex Edler's contract extension: $3.25 mil; $4.25 mil; $6 mil; $6 mil; $6 mil; $4.5 mil. Total: $30 mil.
Interesting numbers.
RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote:Yeah MG may not be the best at trades
Ya think? Thank god for the amazing group of players previous management laid out for Gillis..
Maybe MG and the Aquilini bros might think of hiring a Senior Advisor after this season to assist MG on pursuing/getting solid trades? As MG is the super pro regarding contracts, but trades I think he could get some help with.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Tony Gallagher theorized a few months back that Edler was on the IR during the lockout (and thus getting paid) as a wink wink, nudge, nudge down payment towards this deal. Might explain the relative bargain deal.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Yeah, I like Edler, but I fear the same thing. I think he may have already maxed out on his potential and will not get any better. So right now, our core is like Edler, Bieska, Hammer, Garrison and Ballard (although the later is not playing like one, he is paid like one). It's decent I guess, but no real #1 guy who can anchor the backend and the team. I know a #1 D-man doesn't exactly grow on trees and are very hard to find, but I'm not sure our core has what it takes to push our team over the top. :(

Mëds wrote:I'm not a big fan of Edler.....I think he's too up and down. He's the second coming of Mattias Ohlund, a solid defenseman who is easily on the top 3 on any team but cracks under pressure situations and doesn't live up to expectations when he is mistakenly billed as a number one guy. I recognize that many on this board do not actually think he is that guy, but many media whores do.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Edler at $5M is a good deal for Vancouver. Any improvement in his game(and I think there's still a lot of potential) is pure gravy
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

This is another fantastic signing.

Like I've said before, Edler has some areas of his game where I'd like to see improvement. His defensive coverage at times is lacking, and I would love to see him play with that physical edge with more consistency. If he did he would be a $7M guy.

He's still only 26, and we've seen lots of guys keep improving into their late 20's so there's no reason to think he has peaked yet.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Don't forget, around here where everyone tows the Gillis company line, that Mason Raymond and Alex Edler are the whipping boys
:hmmm:
RoyalDude wrote: and Keith Ballard, David Booth and Manny Malhotra are the favorite sons.
:eh:
RoyalDude wrote: Are we surprised that the Edler signing recieved negative commentary around here?
:crazy:
RoyalDude wrote: They still have no problem paying the monies that Booth and Ballard get.
:shock:

Bath salts, must be bath salts....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Looks like a good signing - I guess we can all hope that his back holds up...

Really, what else could Gillis do but sign Edler? 6th in defenceman scoring last season, and despite his defensive lapses he is really good - skating, first pass, accurate (and hard) shot - when he is on.

Bravo.

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Lloyd Braun wrote: What a deal! I was expecting 5.5m/per minimum.
Yeah no one will be knockin' this deal any time soon pardner....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Tanti09
CC Veteran

Post by Tanti09 »

Great signing, but I am concerned about his back. Let's hope we can get 70+ games out of him each year for the duration of the contract, but more importanatly that he's healthy during playoffs. But backs are dodgy... I've broken mine and can attest to the unpredictability of when issues will come and go. I know he has the best care and all, but really he has to listen to his body and pre-empt any major symptoms. Don't play the hero until the playoffs!
FAN
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by FAN »

A good signing for a talented defenseman at a price that probably wouldn't have been possible but for the recent lockout. I am assuming that none of the Canucks' Dmen have a problem with Edler being the highest paid defenseman on the team. He is, at his best (a big caveat), the most talented and complete defenseman the Canucks have. On the other hand, this isn't exactly a steal. Edler's ability to stay healthy and his consistency (perhaps due to injury problems) are leitimate concerns and played a part in Edler choosing some security over getting maximum dollars.