Edler signs -- 6 years, 30 mil

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Edler signs -- 6 years, 30 mil

Post by Lloyd Braun »

What a deal! I was expecting 5.5m/per minimum.

I figure this deserves a new thread. Discuss away!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413933
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Edler signs -- 6 years, 30 mil

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Lloyd Braun wrote:What a deal! I was expecting 5.5m/per minimum.

I figure this deserves a new thread. Discuss away!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413933

At first glance it looks like another player has accepted a hometown discount.

Comparables might be this past summer signings of Wideman (5.25M) and Carle (5.5M). I also see Brent Burns making 5.75, Paul Martin at 5.0, Mike Green at 6.083 and Wisniewski at 5.25M. Of course, Phaneuf at 6.5M too. I'd say Edler is more valuable than all these guys.

You may question some of Gillis' moves, but you can't question his ability to manage relationships while continuing to get players to take less for the greater good.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Yeah MG may not be the best at trades, but he and Gilman are definitely wizards on getting competitive contracts done!

And I like how MG broke the deal on twitter before the TML media etc hahaha.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Great deal for both sides. I was really hoping this would get done before it might have become a distraction.
If you need air...call it in
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Yes, this is a good signing, fair for both sides. Edler gets term and the Canucks get a manageable cap hit that is above, but not that far above the bar they set for top 4 d-men.
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

Good deal for the Canucks and Edler. Alex Edler another ex-Kelowna Rocket defenceman making multi-millions of dollars along with Tyler Myers, Shea Weber,Duncan Keith, Josh Gorges, and Luke Schenn. Watch for another one in the draft this year Madison Bowey.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

With Edler signing at a hit of 5 mill/season this leaves little out in my mind that Gillis just signalled he is preparing to trade Ballard. With next years' cap at 64 ish we simply can't afford yet another 4+ million defensemen. No idea when though.

Just a thought on the possible ramifications of this deal.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:Yeah MG may not be the best at trades
Ya think? Thank god for the amazing group of players previous management laid out for Gillis, ie Edler was a Nonis draft pick.If not for Burke and Nonis, Gillis would be fucking HOOPED!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Ya think? Thank god for the amazing group of players previous management laid out for Gillis, ie Edler was a Nonis draft pick.If not for Burke and Nonis, Gillis would be fucking HOOPED!
Yes, luckily, Thomas Gradin did his homework, else the Canucks would end up having another Rahimi, White or Ellington.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
Yes, luckily, Thomas Gradin did his homework, else the Canucks would end up having another Rahimi, White or Ellington.
OK I'll give you that, but curious, how have the scouts, at the draft, under the tutelage and leadership of Mike Gillis performed under his management since his inception, or should I say, taking over GM duties from Dave Nonis?

...and lemmie ask you this, After 5 drafts now, what draft picks,since Mike Gillis has been here, made the final cut today for this season? How many Mike Gillis regime draft picks are on this roster?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote: Yes, luckily, Thomas Gradin did his homework, else the Canucks would end up having another Rahimi, White or Ellington.
OK I'll give you that, but curious, how have the scouts, at the draft, under the tutelage and leadership of Mike Gillis performed under his management since his inception, or should I say, taking over GM duties from Dave Nonis?

...and lemmie ask you this, After 5 drafts now, what draft picks,since Mike Gillis has been here, made the final cut today for this season? How many Mike Gillis regime draft picks are on this roster?
When was the last time the Canucks won back-to-back President Trophy? Like it or not, the current Canucks are one of the top teams in the NHL. Recent picks have a hard time cracking the NHL not because they suck. Just look at the current NHL lineup, who can they replace? Look at the defense, the top-five defensemen are Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Garrison and Ballard. A very promising rookie, Tanev, has a tough time getting a full-time NHL job. If Sauve and Connauton were the Oilers or the Blue Jackets, they could be a regular a season ago. The same could be said about Jensen and even Gaunce. Take a good look at the Wings, they do not need to rush the draft picks because they have a strong NHL lineup. A goalie like Schneider would have been a starter for most of the NHL teams a couple season ago. The Canucks have the luxury to have him in the minors and being a backup to one of the premium goalie...
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: Ya think? Thank god for the amazing group of players previous management laid out for Gillis, ie Edler was a Nonis draft pick.If not for Burke and Nonis, Gillis would be fucking HOOPED!

I'll give you that BD, our cupboards are bare and no future but if you look at the recent past and the present then you are the one that is dead wrong...it's almost like you have an anti-hard-on for Mike....did he fuck your wife or something? Something doesn't add up with you lately....it's almost personal.... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

I'm not a big fan of Edler.....I think he's too up and down. He's the second coming of Mattias Ohlund, a solid defenseman who is easily on the top 3 on any team but cracks under pressure situations and doesn't live up to expectations when he is mistakenly billed as a number one guy. I recognize that many on this board do not actually think he is that guy, but many media whores do.

All that being said.....

I am a fan of this signing. I was worried they were going to go closer to $6M at 6 years. Really pleased with this.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Jovocop wrote:
Yeah, thank God Gradin had nothing to do with drafting Rahimi.

Hey, isn't Rahimi Swedish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Rahimi
After playing with the junior and senior teams of IF Björklöven in the Swedish J20 SuperElit and HockeyAllsvenskan (Swe-1) leagues, Rahimi was selected 82nd overall in the third round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft by the Vancouver Canucks. Rahimi was scouted as a stay-at-home defenceman, drafted on the recommendation of the Canucks Swedish scout and former player Thomas Gradin.[1]
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Bingo, Vader.

Gradin is a very good scout who hit a homerun with Edler. But lets not kid ourselves... he's not god. He's had his swing-and-misses as well as his homeruns. He's a very strong part of a well above-average, but not spectacular, scouting staff. And I think most of us Canuck fans, who remember the long-suffering days, will agree that well above average is pretty damn good.

And isn't it wonderful that we've built a franchise that our players are willing to accept below-market contracts to play for??? That's the most important factor in building a long-term contender, IMO...