Beware of Fading Coilers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Beware of Fading Coilers

Post by Boston Canucker »

Larry Goodenough wrote:From the press conference....

•MacTavish references the Oilers' five Stanley Cups when asked about how the group that made the mess that Tambellini couldn't clean up is going to do a better job than Tambellini did. That was a long time ago.
•MacTavish says he doesn't know that he's ever failed the organization in any of his previous positions.
•Lowe: "You're talking about the team that came within one period of winning the Stanley Cup. Someone in the crowd: "Seven years ago."
•Lowe: "Are you saying to me you're getting impatient after three years?"
•Lowe says there's only one general manager in hockey who has won more Stanley cups than him, so he knows al ittle bit about winning.

Please give Lowe a lifetime contract and part of the franchise.
That was a stunning press conference. Yes, MacTavish references Cups won over two decades ago as something the Oilers are still paying for was amazing. How the hell does he connect those causal arrows...just call it bad drafting/management and be done with it. I presume by taking "a risk" MacT has to mean moving one of the young core, as there is nothing else to risk (trading Hemsky or even Gagner is not that big a risk...trading RNH or Eberle, well, yes).

And Lowe, wow, if I was an Oil fan I'd be frightened to death. The guy has become unhinged. He basically explained that his job is as a "conduit" to the owner. That's about it. And then indignantly chastises anyone that challenges the direction of the team.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

MacT better get his sphincter well-oiled and relaxed because Lowe's hand is going to be in there and busy making MacT's arms wiggle. Sad to say for the Coiler fans, but the comments about ownership's direction and Lowe's motives in hiring these stooges is pretty much bang-on IMO. They've pretty much guaranteed a delay in whatever 're-build' the team was in for a couple more years at least.

As for the play of the Oilers of late, they've mailed in the season and given up. It will be interesting to see who picks up their play and who doesn't the rest of the way. Krueger should be looking at Euro coaching options for next season if I were him. Watch for Huddy, Steve Smith or some other 'Boys on the Bus' douchebag to get named head coach when he gets fired.
Mëds wrote:The addition of Howson is puzzling. Not sure how he gets credit for the way the Jackets are playing right now. They are over achieving on the amazing play of Bobrovsky. The addition of Gaborik has also sparked them further. He had nothing to do with that.
Funny how one goalie can make everybody in the organization look like a genius. If only other GMs woke up to that fact. Here's to a fun off-season no matter how this season ends up. It will be anything but boring.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Burnside with a hilarious take.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/2 ... -promotion
It has been awhile since we've been to Edmonton -- almost as long as it has been since the Oilers qualified for the playoffs, in fact -- but we still can't help but imagine that Bruce Springsteen's "Glory Days" plays in a nonstop loop around the Oiler offices, every day, all day.

That song must have been running full blast Monday, when the news broke that GM Steve Tambellini had been fired and replaced by former head coach Craig MacTavish.

The man behind the firing and the man who introduced the new (er, old?) face of the Oilers' management team on Monday was former GM Kevin Lowe, who ascended to the title of president of hockey operations back in 2008, but who has never really let go of the tiller, just as he has apparently never let go of the team's past.

And although Tambellini was an "outside" hire, he was Lowe's hire, and now that Lowe has replaced one pal with another even older pal in MacTavish, has this team really taken a step anywhere but in a circle?

MacTavish, who was the head coach the last time the Oilers made the playoffs, in 2006 -- when they made a surprise run to the Stanley Cup finals, losing in seven games to Carolina -- had returned to the team last year as the team’s senior vice president of hockey operations.

MacTavish will be replaced by former Oiler assistant GM Scott Howson, who was fired earlier this year in Columbus, where he was both unpopular and by virtually every measuring stick unsuccessful during his tenure there as GM.

If you think the Oilers organizational chart looks like one of those optical illusions where the stairs are both ascending and descending in a perpetual circle, that's because it is.

Still, there has been nothing circular about the Oilers' evolution as a team -- just a straight descent.........
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Feel bad for Tamby. It kind of comes as no surprise as sometimes I wonder if it was the end game to bring in Tamby for a few years to rebuild the franchise, then for Lowe to bring in one of his buddies when the team has enough pieces to be in the playoffs again. I guess u can say that Tamby did a great job in tanking it and stocking up with young talent up front, but all his forwards were kind of the same in the smaller, speedy skilled guys. He failed to bring in some gritty skilled forwards that can play in his top 6 and they seem to be missing some quality D-men too.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

Part of the problem in Edmonton and Canada at large is expectations and/or hype.

Hockey's so big in Canada, fans become prospectophiles. It a new hobby. It's great fun to pretend you can spot talent and dream about what the future might hold. An 18 year old is drafted high, so he must he a "young talent". Instead, he's a young prospect with a large spectrum of potential. No one knows what kind of real NHL talent he will have as a grown man and pretending you can truly grade a kid at 18 is the problem.

Edmonton's management has been managing like a fan. Wrapped up in the idea you are good in junior, so you'll be good in the pros instead of focussing on finding proven two-way talent.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

The Nuge is done for the year and set for shoulder surgery.

What do they have brick walls for boards in Edmonton, seems to be a recurring theme?
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Aaronp18 wrote:The Nuge is done for the year and set for shoulder surgery.

What do they have brick walls for boards in Edmonton, seems to be a recurring theme?
That or you tell your 3rd and 4th liners: "Once these guys get a decent GM they'll get enough talent to be the next Penguins. Check them into oblivion now and they'll never get that chance." If I were any GM/Coach in the north-west division or the new Western/Pacific Conference I've be looking to grind them down and limit their long-term effectiveness. That's not to say they should be injured intentionally but it's perfectly legitimate to ensure they get intimidating treatment over the years and if they Coilers young-guns are fragile, so-be-it.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

It comes from dressing 18 and 19 year old boys to play against men.

Not only are they getting beat up, they're wasting all their entry level contract years sucking and coming in last overall. By the time they start playing dominant hockey, they're all going to want 5+ a year and the Coil will have to flog them for cheap, prospects.

God I love Kevin Lowe
If you need air...call it in
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Uncle dans leg wrote:It comes from dressing 18 and 19 year old boys to play against men.

Not only are they getting beat up, they're wasting all their entry level contract years sucking and coming in last overall. By the time they start playing dominant hockey, they're all going to want 5+ a year and the Coil will have to flog them for cheap, prospects.

God I love Kevin Lowe
No kidding!

Getting beat up when you're not physically capable of taking the punishment leading to a long term degradation of capability. Way to devalue your hard earned assets Mr. "I have enough stanley cups to make up for sucking as a GM/President".

That said the Sedins were 20 when they started and Henrik is an ironman. I'm pretty sure they've taken a beating over the years, perhaps more so than most. Maybe it's their Viking history.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RNH is 170lbs in soaking wet equipment. He's going to be susceptible to injury until he gets some more meat on his bones.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

tantalum wrote:RNH is 170lbs in soaking wet equipment. He's going to be susceptible to injury until he gets some more meat on his bones.
Not sure if that will ever happen, probably less effective with more fat on them bones, he's another Brad Ference bean pole

I'm sure the Oil would love to have 6'-1" 205 lbs - Gabriel Landeskog now.

The Oilers top young players are just way too small. Shit Schultz is barely 170 lbs. Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, Yak are all 5'11 and under and under 200 lbs. They are a different team had they taken Galchenyuk and Landeskog. LMAO
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

RD you are going to be surprised but I agree with you. Furthermore, they could have likely traded down and got further assets to better the team even more. I do think they are small and I do think they are wasting the cheap years of these kids. They never surrounded them with any sort of decent veteran players. I can't help but wonder if they are going to drag Ken Linseman and Esa Tikkanen out of retirement.