Beware of Fading Coilers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Beware of Fading Coilers

Post by Larry Goodenough »

I don't know what's sadder/funnier.

1. Tambellini was on Oil Change this weekend for the trade deadline show. He was trying to trade his third rounder. The public is laughing at him as he doesn't have a third rounder.
2. What with all this supposed burgeoning talent this season, the team is still dead last in even strength puck possession. They can't even get to 25th out of 30. Dead last.
3. Howson is promoted.
4. Kevin Lowe remains.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I love Kevin Lowe. I hope he stays in charge of the Oilers forever! I can't WAIT to see this episode of Oil Change!!

When Tamby took that job, he was very highly-regarded by Canucks fans and hockey fans in general, due largely to his role in Hockey Canada. I thought it was a terrible career move for Tamby, because Lowe completely set him up to be the fall guy - Lowe called all the shots, and if the team sucked Tamby gets fired.

But now, thanks to shows like Oil Change and Oilers fan websites like Copperandblue, the perception of Tambellini is overwhelmingly negative. I will never forget his Free Agent Day video where he was cruising capgeek.com on his iPad to make his decisions.

Hopefully Tambellini lands on his feet somewhere, but I can't imagine he gets another GM job any time soon.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

herb wrote:^ Anytime you get the chance to fire the GM and replace him with the coach he fired and then re-hired, you have to grab that bull by the horns and see where it takes you!

Nice to see they have hired and then very quickly promoted one of the worst NHL General Managers in recent memory as well...what a shit show that organization is.
How'sat?! :)

Maybe we should fire MG and hire BB back...IF...we don't make the playoffs.

Fack!, all Stevie-T had to do was trade one of his grade A forwards for a top tier goalie and Big Monster D and he would have been golden! Pressures on Feeeeester now to make the playoffs... 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ESQ wrote:I love Kevin Lowe. I hope he stays in charge of the Oilers forever! I can't WAIT to see this episode of Oil Change!!

When Tamby took that job, he was very highly-regarded by Canucks fans and hockey fans in general, due largely to his role in Hockey Canada. I thought it was a terrible career move for Tamby, because Lowe completely set him up to be the fall guy - Lowe called all the shots, and if the team sucked Tamby gets fired.

But now, thanks to shows like Oil Change and Oilers fan websites like Copperandblue, the perception of Tambellini is overwhelmingly negative. I will never forget his Free Agent Day video where he was cruising capgeek.com on his iPad to make his decisions.

Hopefully Tambellini lands on his feet somewhere, but I can't imagine he gets another GM job any time soon.
Yeah, he is a good guy but never had a chance. The real hockey fans know that it's Lowe that should be gone and not some scapegoat. Tamby will be VP of player development somewheres...
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Oils last two draft picks ain't looking so hot, Yak and RNH. It must pain them to see how well Landeskog and Galchenyuk are playing.

The big surprise for me, is the not so good play of Eberle.

It looks like the honeymoon for Schultz is over, as he is not looking like the next coming of Scott Neidermeyer at the momment.

The guy I disliked the most - Taylor Hall seems to be the best of the bunch at the momment.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Arachnid wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420813

:shock:

BikerDude better find a new ass to lick..
The real problem is Kevin Lowe, he seemingly only wants to hire Puppets. And so because of that, the revolving door keeps spinning. One day, the owners there will realize that the real problem is Lowe himself and that they should hire a real GM instead of bringing in inexperienced coaches and GM's who will not threaten Lowe's ego.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

RoyalDude wrote:
Arachnid wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420813

:shock:

BikerDude better find a new ass to lick..
The real problem is Kevin Lowe, he seemingly only wants to hire Puppets. And so because of that, the revolving door keeps spinning. One day, the owners there will realize that the real problem is Lowe himself and that they should hire a real GM instead of bringing in inexperienced coaches and GM's who will not threaten Lowe's ego.
You're a dog BD :roll:

sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

Less Canucks embarrassment please.
tantalum
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by tantalum »

BD...ownership doesn't care. Katz is happy to put an inferior product on the ice provided the butts are in the seats. Lowe's job isn't to ice a good team but to keep ticket sales strong. Somehow that has happened and until it stops Lowe will have a job.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

From the press conference....

•MacTavish references the Oilers' five Stanley Cups when asked about how the group that made the mess that Tambellini couldn't clean up is going to do a better job than Tambellini did. That was a long time ago.
•MacTavish says he doesn't know that he's ever failed the organization in any of his previous positions.
•Lowe: "You're talking about the team that came within one period of winning the Stanley Cup. Someone in the crowd: "Seven years ago."
•Lowe: "Are you saying to me you're getting impatient after three years?"
•Lowe says there's only one general manager in hockey who has won more Stanley cups than him, so he knows al ittle bit about winning.

Please give Lowe a lifetime contract and part of the franchise.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Ownership is the issue. It's the fear many of us had when Aquilini bought the team.

He's a fan and we were worried he would want things done his way and have a say in the hockey operations side of things.

It seems Aquilini lets the hockey minds run the business.

Katz is also a fan and has been since he was a kid, and there are all sorts or rumours that he gets involved far more than just writing cheques.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Larry Goodenough wrote:From the press conference....
•Lowe says there's only one general manager in hockey who has won more Stanley cups than him, so he knows al ittle bit about winning.
:rofl: He sure comes across as a total dip shit in that presser. Now they're talking about doing "bold things and competitive things" as fast as possible....please Gillis, get in there and be the first in line to fleece these chumps. Mag. Paajaarvi would be a good fit ;)
If you need air...call it in
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

For those interested in seeing the presser:
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/M ... story.html

Christ almighty Lowe, learn how to at least have some humility when your team is doing shit all.

"So, I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern."

Watching that presser, I'd be absolutely livid if I was an Oiler fan.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Wow, talk about defensive. Two types of fans, those paying and the others who watch on TV. We try to cater to the paying fans. Yikes.
The only HW the Canucks need
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Lowe certainly came off as a complete douche in that presser.

I wish the reporter had possessed the balls to ask him how many of these Stanley Cups he's won came while he was wearing a suit rather than suiting up on the ice. I mean after all, everything was apparently a "fair question".

MacTavish will probably be a good man for the job in Oiltown. He's going to bring the right players in I think. He coached them on a horseshoe to a game away from everything. That doesn't happen without Roloson playing hot and Pronger being there, and of course the following year the same team missed the playoffs. But still, he does know players and what kind of guys he needs in the dressing room to support the coach. That's something that I think both Tamby and Lowe are in the dark about. I'm not sure I agree with what he says about being in the ball game when it comes to attracting players, but fortunately for the Oilers they have drafted the guys who should be their elite guys next year and in years to come. Depth players and role players are generally less picky about where they sign.

They still have some problems on the blueline and in the crease. I'm not sure how they will address those outside of a trade or drafting. Elite goaltenders are hard to come by, the ones whose names keep coming up as UFA's and potentially on the move are unlikely to land in Edmonton. Luongo won't go there. Miller won't go there. Bryzgalov probably would report if he was traded but he'd be no better than what they have now.....just more expensive. Bernier might sign there, he's a young guy and it's a young team, so the atmosphere might be right for him, but he's unproven as a starter, so it's a risk for the Oilers.

The addition of Howson is puzzling. Not sure how he gets credit for the way the Jackets are playing right now. They are over achieving on the amazing play of Bobrovsky. The addition of Gaborik has also sparked them further. He had nothing to do with that.