Beware of Fading Coilers

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Beware of Fading Coilers

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

So I'm perusing various hockey sites this morning and I've noticed something we haven't seen for a long, long time...Oiler fans talking trash. Wow. You'd think they've already won something the way they carry on.

Now I do recognize that they've added a few key pieces and do suspect they will play better...BUT, after this much losing you'd think they would at least wait a bit and make sure they can actually play a successful game or 2.

I suspect we see a feverishly paced first 10-20 games followed by a coming back to earth of sorts for the young-uns. One of the biggest factors in a players development, in my opinion, is the accumulated strength and stamina gained by years of playing in the high paced NHL environment.

I predict a year where they climb out of the basement and challenge for a playoff spot but fall short in the end. This would be considered a developmental progression and I think this might be lost on the hordes of frozen Edmontonians.

So have they "arrived" in your opinion? Should we start planning defensive zone strategies to contain the vaunted Oiler juggernaut or is this all just random trumpeting from across the rockies(and a long stretch of desolate prairie)?
If you need air...call it in
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Beware of Fading Coilers

Post by BurningBeard »

Uncle dans leg wrote: So have they "arrived" in your opinion? Should we start planning defensive zone strategies to contain the vaunted Oiler juggernaut or llis this all just random trumpeting from across the rockies(and a long stretch of desolate prairie)?
How seriously am I supposed to take a team when the highest they've placed in the past three seasons is 29th? :D You have to go back to 2005/06 for the last time they broke 90 points in the regular season.

Sure, if all their young players start to jell they could have a good year and make the playoffs, but there are still a lot of glaring holes on that roster.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

BurningBeard wrote: You have to go back to 2005/06 for the last time they broke 90 points in the regular season.
$100 says they don't break 90 points this year either!

:mrgreen:
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Aaronp18 wrote:
BurningBeard wrote: You have to go back to 2005/06 for the last time they broke 90 points in the regular season.
Careful now, RD might take you up on that bet. :wow:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Their defense got better and they will have a lethal powerplay, definitely not an easy win against them anymore.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

SKYO wrote:Their defense got better and they will have a lethal powerplay, definitely not an easy win against them anymore.
They had a lethal powerplay last season.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BurningBeard wrote:
SKYO wrote:Their defense got better and they will have a lethal powerplay, definitely not an easy win against them anymore.
They had a lethal powerplay last season.
Yup add in Schultz and Yak to that, and now no team will take penalties against them, meaning their star players will take less liberties.

Edmonton will only get better and take over the NW, especially if they ever get a decent goalie.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BurningBeard wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:
Careful now, RD might take you up on that bet. :wow:
Even bigger question is: Would he pay up? :mrgreen:

Speaking of Mr Green, the Coilers are still much too green....
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

I'll bet the hundred bucks will cover the team budget for shaving cream and razor blades...
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote: Speaking of Mr Green, the Coilers are still much too green....
Yup, and until they cut their teeth in the playoffs and realize that staying healthy is going to be a huge factor they will struggle.

Sure they have the talent up front but, like the Canadian World juniors, they need to realize it's a team game.

I don't think they have the personnel to grind out wins. It's going to be how do we outscore the opposition.

Those kids are still very young and fragile, they need to play with confidence an protect themselves. Both Nuge and Hall have had injury issues and will continue to unless they protect themselves when hit. Which is why throwing 18 year olds out there against men can be a big mistake.
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Uncle dans leg wrote: You'd think they've already won something the way they carry on.

Hate to say it but this goes both ways. Yeah ok, it's great that we've been at or near the top of the standings for a better part of a decade, culminating in two Presidents Trophies and one fruitless trip to the Finals. At the end of the day we're still where we were a decade ago: ZERO CUPS. It's almost more embarrassing to have been this good and have nothing to show for it than to have a team out of it for so many years. Yet from what I read and hear everywhere from Canucks fans it's as if we're in a middle of a dynasty. Personally I don't really care as I've learned anything you read and hear from fans of any sports team should be taken with a grain of salt. At the same time I can't help but be embarrassed at times by ours. I'm totally ok if you feel the need to pound your chest to the rest of the world..I just think we should wait until we've actually won something.

Basically, isn't that the point you're trying to make?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote: You'd think they've already won something the way they carry on.

Hate to say it but this goes both ways. Yeah ok, it's great that we've been at or near the top of the standings for a better part of a decade, culminating in two Presidents Trophies and one fruitless trip to the Finals. At the end of the day we're still where we were a decade ago: ZERO CUPS. It's almost more embarrassing to have been this good and have nothing to show for it than to have a team out of it for so many years. Yet from what I read and hear everywhere from Canucks fans it's as if we're in a middle of a dynasty. Personally I don't really care as I've learned anything you read and hear from fans of any sports team should be taken with a grain of salt. At the same time I can't help but be embarrassed at times by ours. I'm totally ok if you feel the need to pound your chest to the rest of the world..I just think we should wait until we've actually won something.

Basically, isn't that the point you're trying to make?
It isn't the point I'm making, no. My point is that I don't see anywhere near the same numbers of Canucks fans trash talking to the degree that the Oiler fans appear to be doing right now empowered by the optimism the upgrades have given them.
I also don't feel proud of the 41 year failure but I am most definitely not one to go cruising the net talking shit about other teams and bloating expectations without any conceivable justification other than potential and optimism.
Incidentally, this isn't talking trash about the Oilers team...it's the insulting fan base that has come out of the woodwork.
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

^^^ I agree with what Dan is saying, but I'll add this: When your Vancouver Canucks win the Cup, your Vancouver Canucks fans will instantly become the most obnoxious trash-talking fans in all of Christendom.

Generally speaking of course. :look:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:^^^ I agree with what Dan is saying, but I'll add this: When your Vancouver Canucks win the Cup, your Vancouver Canucks fans will instantly become the most obnoxious trash-talking fans in all of Christendom.
Good thing most of us don't smell like Christians 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

As for the Oilers (If I'm allowed to be objective)...

While I agree with the general sentiment that there is still a long way to go for them, I also don't think they're all that far away..or better put, it wouldn't surprise me if they make the leap sooner than later as most of you are thinking and hoping for. Yes I can see that as deep as they are on paper they're still very inexperienced and lack in a lot of areas that make up a good hockey team. For starters they need to have excellent goaltending, which is very much a question mark at this point. They have a lot of skill, perhaps too much skill that it occupies what they really lack up front which are big gritty, role-type players who can play a two-way game. And of course their blueline is where they're lacking most and should be the focal point of what makes or break that team.

That said, the pieces are in place when it comes to the essential building blocks. What they already have is what you can't trade for and what they need is what you can trade for. They're so stacked up front and have enough abundance of moving parts that all it might take is a couple of good smart moves by management to turn them into a winner real soon. I know exactly what I would do if I was in Tambellini's place. So imo the only thing that will keep that team from progressing is management refuses to make the necessary tweaks or fucks it up.