2013 Season Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jovocop
CC Legend

Re: 2013 Season Injury Thread

Post by Jovocop »

Jensen has a pretty good chance to make the team with Booth out for 4-6 weeks. Can he come back to NA now??
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So barring a Gomez/Langkow signing or Luongo trade.

SEDIN SEDIN BURROWS
RAYMOND EBBETT HIGGINS
HANSEN SCHROEDER KASSIAN
MANNY LAPPY WEISE

That forward group might hopefully maintain a .500 winning %.

If not say goodbye to the playoffs this season! :cry:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

With those forwards, we better play a tight defensive game.
Good thing we have a solid D corps and a good goalie. Is that enough to win?
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

2006 redux

....big difference may be that in 2006 there was no help whatsoever coming late in the year. With Kes and Booth on the shelf and with possibly, hopefully some good forward depth coming in the Luongo trade, there's hope.

Of course cynics like myself would say that isn't much hope, since.. A ) Booth isn't much help to begin with,.. B ) Kesler will have missed almost an entire calendar year of hockey before he returns and we've already seen how ineffective a rusty Kesler can be..not to mention he could be a hit or tweak away from getting right back on the shelf,..and C ) the names that have been bandied about so far in return for Luongo don't excite me at all. Bozak and/or Kadri may help fill some holes but they'll have little impact on this team this year (may explain why Gillis is holding out).

That said, while I do expect an ugly first half to the season where we'll be spending much of it battling to get out of a big hole and be fighting for a playoff spot, I also expect a big surge in the final 4-6 weeks that will put us in and hopefully we can ride the momentum from that. My early prediction is a record of 24-18-6=54 pts, landing us somewhere between 3rd-6th place. The good news is as we've all learned by now it's not about how you start but rather how you finish. The Kings were so bad late last year they had to fire a coach. And in the last lockout shortened 48 game season, the Devils won the Cup with a pretty mediocre 52 pt, 5th place season.

I'll try to delay my angst till late March.
Last edited by Nuckertuzzi on Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Jovocop wrote:Jensen has a pretty good chance to make the team with Booth out for 4-6 weeks. Can he come back to NA now??
Don't believe so.

I think he has to finish his contract with AIK.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Mondi wrote: However, my gut says Kesler will miss the whole season. If he can't even lift his arm above his head, he won't have full arm strength until sometime in late 2013 or early 2014.
Where are people getting this rumour about Kesler and not being able to lift his arm above his head?

That is a strength building exercise, picture was taken yesterday.

You generally don't start strength building exercises like that during rehab until full range of motion is achieved. If he can't lift his arm above his head he wouldn't have a full ROM in his shoulder.

Now it's not free weights but he looks like he has a decent ROM even with that exercise. I would wager a guess that if Kesler couldn't lift his arm over his head they wouldn't be letting him do strengthening exercises like the one in the pic.

EDIT:
Also if you look at the pics from today at camp, Kesler is in full gear, skating, with a stick and playing with a puck. No way do they let him do that if he doesn't have full ROM.

I call a farce on this he can't lift his arm over his head BS.
newcanuckfan
CC Veteran

Post by newcanuckfan »

Hey all - finally getting back to this Board....

Not sure if mentioned in other threads, but Valk was on Fan590 here in Ontario this morning and thinks Kesler's issue is still the hip. He has no insider knowledge on that, but given the pic above, makes me wonder. IF true, seems to me to explain the "indefinite" aspect of his return.

Anyone hearing those whispers as well? (And again, I apologize if mentioned elsewhere on the site!)
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:)

R. BOOTH (winger) - 4 to 6 weeks (groin)

Oh my.
Damn! Looks like no Stanley Cup this year.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

I think they're being cautious with Kesler, and especially cautious with the ridiculous Vancouver media. They don't want to set a return date because it will only give a reason for the media to hound them when it doesn't happen according to schedule. This is far more of a factor now since Gillis already put his foot in his mouth during the fall (I forget exactly when) by pegging Kesler to a likely December return. At this point, that seems to have been an overly optimistic projection, and Gillis stood to gain nothing by throwing a date out there into the media. It seems to me that Kesler's agent is making noise about his slow recovery largely because of Gillis' dumb comment. It's a well deserved wag of the finger.

Is that lineup a playoff lineup??? Absolutely, it is. It isn't a Presidents' Trophy level lineup, but having had such an excellent team the past few years, one thing we often forget is that every lineup has its share of holes. At this point we still have an excellent defence and phenomenal goaltending, but our forward group is a one-line affair. We have to remember that there are lots of one-line teams in the NHL, few of which have a line that's been as dominant as the twins over the past several seasons, or have the strength in the back end and in net that we have. We also have a good number of players lower in the lineup who bring a solid two-way game to the table, even when they're not scoring.

We'll be fine... barring further injuries *knock on RD's skull... erm... wood*.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

With these injuries would Gomez be a decent pick up right now on a 1 year contract ?

Gomez may want to prove something and he is not hurtng for money. As a temp 2nd line centre he may be better than some of the other options.
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Gomez is still under contract with the Habs. He's simply been asked not to report so that they can buy him out NEXT offseason without risk of injury interrupting that process. So, he's unavailable to us, unless we (for some dumb reason) chose to trade for him with his 7.25mil contract in tow.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

He is now on waivers and will probably be bought out within the next day or 2.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413671
Lloyd Braun
CC Veteran

Post by Lloyd Braun »

Ok, then the same thing I said except replace "trade" with "waiver pickup". For whatever reason, I thought he had already cleared, but I don't see how this changes the point. It's not like we'd be giving up more than a bag of pucks in a theoretical "trade" anyway.

He will not be bought out though, because if they were to buy him out this year, there would be a significant cap hit for years to come. Next summer, there is an amnesty where two players per team can be bought out without cap penalty. It's been widely reported in the media that Gomez will be one of these two for the Habs. Preserving this option is why he's being asked not to show up to the AHL in order to prevent the possibility of injury, which would stop them from exercising the amnesty buyout.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Lloyd Braun wrote:
He will not be bought out though, because if they were to buy him out this year, there would be a significant cap hit for years to come.
I may be full of shit, but I beleieve if a team uses the "compliance" buyouts this week, then the cap hit is only for this season and none in the future. The cash payout is the same - 2/3 of the salary reaming split over the life of the contract times two