2013 Season Injury Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Per
MVP
MVP

Re: 2013 Season Injury Thread

Post by Per »

Mëds wrote: First Spezza for a couple months, now Karlsson......Ottawa's season is about to go off the rails.
Right. And they have Michalek out with an undisclosed upper body injury as well.
That one may not be as bad as the two others though.

Spezza and Karlsson. Ouch!
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: First Spezza for a couple months, now Karlsson......Ottawa's season is about to go off the rails.
It's been Anderson leading them this far. As long as you have the best goalie you'll get a chance to win...

That being said, I agree. There's little chance Anderson carries this decimated team to the playoffs. If he does, he deserves the Hart.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
It's been Anderson leading them this far. As long as you have the best goalie you'll get a chance to win...

That being said, I agree. There's little chance Anderson carries this decimated team to the playoffs. If he does, he deserves the Hart.
Yeah, Anderson has certainly displayed some almost supernatural play this year, but he looked pretty mortal in Pittsburgh tonight.
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Here is the vid of the Cooke hit on Karlsonn. Holy crap does that look painful. I knew someone once who broke their Achilles. It was a long, slow, viciously painful recovery process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoMpbdA-0A
Last edited by wafflecombine on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Worst part for Ottawa is that the puck hit the netting during the play just before the injury and the officials didn't blow the play down. This one could haunt Ottawa for years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Benjo wrote:Worst part for Ottawa is that the puck hit the netting during the play just before the injury and the officials didn't blow the play down. This one could haunt Ottawa for years.
I still wonder how the refs or the linesmen could miss so many things all the time. What is the point of having 4 of them on ice besides keeping one more person employed??
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

wafflecombine wrote:Here is the vid of the Cooke hit on Karlsonn. Holy crap does that look painful. I knew someone once who broke their Achilles. It was a long, slow, viciously painful recovery process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvoMpbdA-0A

I ruptured my left achilles in 2001 while rounding third and heading for home in softball. I intially thought I was hit in the back of the leg by the ball on a throw home. I did a big barrell roll and had my team cracking up and I got up complaining about getting hit by the ball... but was told the ball was still in the outfield. I then realized my foot was dangling there like a dead fish and I sat back down. The catcher then walked up to me and tagged me out.

A firefighter was on the other team and came over - he told me right away I had ruptured my achilles. It hurt pretty bad for about 5 minutes, but then their was no pain at all. I got a buddy to drive my 5 speed home as the dead fish in my cleat could not clutch and I slept that night without any pain medication.

In the morning I went to the clinic and they sent me right to the hospital. I had surgery the same afternoon. The surgeon said it was like sewing two mops back together. What still puzzles me today is I went into surgery with a new pair of underwear on. I came out without any underwear. Why did I lose my gonch when they were operating on my lower leg?

I was in a cast for 10 weeks. There was pain for only the first few days, and that was due to the surgical scar. When the cast was taken off, my ankle had no range of motion and my calf muscle had shrank alot. To this day, my left calf is about 1 inch smaller in diameter than my right.

I got back to hockey that winter and my ugly, warped and extra-wide achilles did not fit well in my boot. Right away the scar began to rub raw in my skate and I would finish each game with a bloody sock. It actually got so bad I quit playing for a few years. I then met another guy with the same problem and he told me about some taping tricks and a guy who customizes skates. It helped alot and I'm back to playing again, but the 7 inch purple surgical scar remains.

I didn't have much pain with mine. Karlsson did look in alot of pain - I assume it was due to a cut over a rupture. Regardless, the recovery time is long not due to pain, but due to the time needed to heal an important tendon and the atrophy of the leg and ankle after being in a cast for 10 weeks. How long was Bieksa gone again with his achilles cut?
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Thanks for the first hand info Larry. I can only relate what a friend told me about their experience. However you look at it though, this will take quite some time to heal properly and I really wonder what sort of impact it'll have on his game going forward.

Damn shame.

Also a shame that it was Cookie who accidently did the slicing. He's worked hard to clean up his game (credit where due) and this is a setback for his "rep rehabilitation"; even though it was an accident. The only way this could have been worse (from an optics perspective) is if the offender had been Raffe Torres.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Apparently the tendon wasn't severed, only cut. Good news for hockey
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Good news (well, not so horrible) is Achilles wasn't severed. 100% cut requires "shortening" of tendon to repair and complicates recovery.
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

that is good news...
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Kesler doing full contact, full practices now. Sweeeet
Farhan Lalji ‏@FarhanLaljiTSN
Kesler taking line rushes with Kassian & Higgins

Edit:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Sounds like there's a good chance, if all goes well, Ryan Kesler plays for VAN tomorrow night vs DAL.
Last edited by Cousin Strawberry on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:Kesler doing full contact, full practices now. Sweeeet
Sedins Bur
Higgy RK Kass
RuSH line

:thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough »

SKYO wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:Kesler doing full contact, full practices now. Sweeeet
Sedins Bur
Higgy RK Kass
RuSH line

:thumbs:

And the 4th line after the trade deadline

Morrow-Doan-Higgins
wafflecombine
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by wafflecombine »

Speaking of our 4th line, just saw that Manny was place on Injured Reserve for rest of season. No reason given however, there seems to be some suggestion floating out there that its related to his previous eye injury.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... L|VAN|home

Bob Mackenzie Tweet -

TSNBobMcKenzie
"The bottom line on Manny Malhotra: there are deep concerns his eye injury/vision are not at level to allow him to safely play the game. Malhotra is reportedly not prepared to formally retire at this time but he's been shut down for balance of the season.
I would expect Malhotra to function as an unofficial assistant coach for balance of season, working with players in VAN and AHL CHI."
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

AV: Kesler has been medically cleared to play and all indications are that he's ready to go.

:drink: