Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ » Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 am

Interesting UW - I guess the one comparable to trading McDavid is Lindros, and setting the team up for a mini-dynasty like the Avs. The difference is the Nordiques we're dealing with a malcontent and turning lemons into lemonade, which likely affected the return to some extent.

The other comparable is Gretzky, which was the first step in dismantling a dynasty. The difference in the Gretzky example is those oilers were established, while these oilers are still failing.

If I were Holland, I'd sooner look at moving Draisatl. There is a bigger market for an $8.5 million star than for the most expensive player in the league. And with a 50-goal season under his belt, the return would be massive.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am

ESQ wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:32 am
Interesting UW - I guess the one comparable to trading McDavid is Lindros, and setting the team up for a mini-dynasty like the Avs. The difference is the Nordiques we're dealing with a malcontent and turning lemons into lemonade, which likely affected the return to some extent.

The other comparable is Gretzky, which was the first step in dismantling a dynasty. The difference in the Gretzky example is those oilers were established, while these oilers are still failing.

If I were Holland, I'd sooner look at moving Draisatl. There is a bigger market for an $8.5 million star than for the most expensive player in the league. And with a 50-goal season under his belt, the return would be massive.
If I were Holland I wouldn’t be looking to trade either of my top two centres. You build around that. I’d be looking to move out RNH. He won’t command the return either of the top two would but he should get a first a prospect and an NHLer, in the least.

Holland first needs to clear out bad contracts, clean house. Then see what’s left. I can’t see him wanting too many youngsters. His style is to let kids cook in the minors, he said as much at his presser, so if he wants to make the playoffs he needs a better mix of established players at this point. His kids won’t find such an easy path to the NHL.

So his choice may boil down to a mini rebuild, taking a couple of years to let the existing kids develop, or trying to fast track into the playoffs.

He needs to fix goaltending and D. I think they have enough, if the West is as bad next year, to make the playoffs if everything goes right. It seems that’s the first order of business for him, make the playoffs.

Every team in the NHL has to worry about the cap. Every team in the NHL is starting to plan for the expansion draft. A lot of teams had miserable seasons in failing to make the playoffs. A lot of top teams had miserable showings in the playoffs. This could be the summer were we see a lot of movement and some good old fashioned hockey trades.
The only HW the Canucks need

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Thu May 09, 2019 2:25 am

What team could absorb the cost it would take in trade to get McJesus and not end up in the same roster boat as the Oilers? Tampa? Nashville? The other end of it is the roster surgery Edmonton would have to do to get under cap while taking on the players they would get even with the subtraction of McDavid’s contract. In a way he’s virtually untradable by virtue of his contract and stature. I can see Draisaitl being traded in a Ryan Johanson kind of deal for a Dman. It’s only one player but it’s a glaring gap and I don’t see Evan Bouchard being that guy for them for at least another two years.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

RoyalDude
CC Legend

Post by RoyalDude » Thu May 09, 2019 6:35 am

You keep Draisaitl and trade RNH for a D-man or winger. Wouldn’t be a great haul, more of a hockey trade for need
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer » Thu May 09, 2019 9:49 am

RoyalDude wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 6:35 am
You keep Draisaitl and trade RNH for a D-man or winger. Wouldn’t be a great haul, more of a hockey trade for need
RNH may net Edmonton a good 2nd pairing defenceman, but they need more than that. But what am I saying??? Trade the girly-boy for belly-button lint if it keeps the Oilers’ tires spinning while McJesus plots his way out.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

Uncle dans leg
CC Legend

Post by Uncle dans leg » Thu May 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Maybe they should take a look at that amateur scouting. They never seem to find anything worth fuck all unless its a lottery pick...and sometimes not even that.
nobody focks...with the jesus

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Mon May 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Tragically Hip for Kesler

Surgery. Will miss the entire season. Maybe the end of his career.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Pretty sure I remember Kes playing through his first hip problem way too long causing a bigger one.
I really liked Kesler. We need a young one of those for FS.
"evolution"

UWSaint
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by UWSaint » Mon May 13, 2019 3:05 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am
If I were Holland I wouldn’t be looking to trade either of my top two centres. You build around that.
Again, I wasn't making a trade proposal involving the Canucks, but a fair return from the Canucks for McDavid absolutely involves Elias Pettersson going the other way. Wouldn't you rather have Draisatl and Pettersson and a whole lot more than McDavid and Draisatl and not much else? Quite possibly -- which is why the Canucks wouldn't jump on a "fair" package for McDavid. At any rate, its certainly a 1 2 that you can build off of.

And that's the problem with trading Draisatl if you are Holland. Draisatl is worth Pettersson, but not a ton more than Pettersson (top 10 player in the league for someone who projects to be a top 10 player in the league and has 2 more cheap cheap years). Trading Draisatl moves quality parts; trading McDavid get a depth of quality parts.

McDavid v. Draisatl is similar in many ways to Crosby v. Malkin. They are all really great players. But McDavid/Crosby is "generational" caliber -- there is no better hockey player in the world and one comes along like that every decade; Draisatl/Malkin are/were "franchise" caliber. McDavid/Crosby sells seats by himself (and jerseys jerseys jerseys); Draisatl/Malkin sells seats because franchise caliber players contribute to playoff competitiveness.

But the Oilers have a generational player and are not locks of anything close to a lock in terms of making the playoffs. And they are handcuffed by their salary cap situation -- all additions are going to take subtractions. But a seismic shake up can make them competitive next year.
Hono_rary Canadian

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Tue May 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Ralph Krueger is the Sabres new year coach. Smart fella, could be a good hire
“SUTTER IS AS GOOD AS COUTURIER”

Hank
CC Legend

Post by Hank » Tue May 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Must be a smart fellow... if he could become the chairman of Southhampton in the Premier League with a completely unrelated sports background, then come back to coach hockey after a 5-year absence from the sport.

I hope he turns those Sabres around.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Tue May 14, 2019 7:57 pm

UWSaint wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:05 pm
Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:51 am
If I were Holland I wouldn’t be looking to trade either of my top two centres. You build around that.
Again, I wasn't making a trade proposal involving the Canucks, but a fair return from the Canucks for McDavid absolutely involves Elias Pettersson going the other way. Wouldn't you rather have Draisatl and Pettersson and a whole lot more than McDavid and Draisatl and not much else? Quite possibly -- which is why the Canucks wouldn't jump on a "fair" package for McDavid. At any rate, its certainly a 1 2 that you can build off of.

And that's the problem with trading Draisatl if you are Holland. Draisatl is worth Pettersson, but not a ton more than Pettersson (top 10 player in the league for someone who projects to be a top 10 player in the league and has 2 more cheap cheap years). Trading Draisatl moves quality parts; trading McDavid get a depth of quality parts.

McDavid v. Draisatl is similar in many ways to Crosby v. Malkin. They are all really great players. But McDavid/Crosby is "generational" caliber -- there is no better hockey player in the world and one comes along like that every decade; Draisatl/Malkin are/were "franchise" caliber. McDavid/Crosby sells seats by himself (and jerseys jerseys jerseys); Draisatl/Malkin sells seats because franchise caliber players contribute to playoff competitiveness.

But the Oilers have a generational player and are not locks of anything close to a lock in terms of making the playoffs. And they are handcuffed by their salary cap situation -- all additions are going to take subtractions. But a seismic shake up can make them competitive next year.
Problem with Draisaitl is that without McDavid he's merely RNH heavy. This past year the Kraut was getting nothing done without McDavid and many were saying how the Oilers needed him to carry more weight on his own. He never did. Sure he notched 50 goals, but he wouldn't have cracked 40 if not for McDavid.

Crosby and Malkin are a 1-2 punch that stands alone because they are both 100 point players without the other guy.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

Pierre LeBrun:
Not confirmed but my understanding is that Ralph Krueger’s deal with Buffalo is for three years and worth ballpark of $11.5 million - $12 million total. So sounds like just under $4 million average per year
These Coaches and General Managers are getting paid more and more after Babcock got his dough.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 pm

JD officially steps down in Columbus then signs with NYR as their new President.

This really may have been the last attempt for Columbus for awhile.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Carol Schram did an interesting piece on comparisons for Hutton’s next contract.

“Will Esa Lindell's $5.8 million cap hit impact RFA Ben Hutton's next deal?”

I put this here because I enjoy exploding heads.