Page 535 of 670

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:14 pm
by Hank
Sounds like Chicago also won't bring themselves to utter the word "rebuild" (and why would any owner or management want to?)

Instead of a "retool", they're going to "remodel".

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:36 pm
by The Brown Wizard
vic wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:20 am
I can see the Oilers firing McLellan and bringing in Quenville
Agree. Theyre dying out here and having seen quite a few coiler games I'd say coaching and gm both need the door. What a mess

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:33 pm
by Hank
So the Clipboard gets his first win in his first game with LA.

Clipboard's gonna ruin another rebuild, I mean, retool.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 am
by ESQ
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:09 pm
Quenneville's contract runs thru 2019-20. Is he just paid a flat severance or does he have to avoid being hired by another team in order to continue collecting a paycheque? If the latter, then he has plenty of time to make a decision on which young and upcoming contender he wants to join ;) ;)
This came up when Torts was fired here. The canucks paid him his salary (I forget what it was, but it was the highest in the league). CBJ wanted to hire him, but wouldn't match the salary, so Torts would actually take home less money to actually coach for the CBJ, because signing with CBJ would end his canucks contract.

In the end Aquilini had to grease the BJ's to get them to take torts and thereby end Tortd's salary from the canucks.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 pm
by Meds
ESQ wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:09 pm
Quenneville's contract runs thru 2019-20. Is he just paid a flat severance or does he have to avoid being hired by another team in order to continue collecting a paycheque? If the latter, then he has plenty of time to make a decision on which young and upcoming contender he wants to join ;) ;)
This came up when Torts was fired here. The canucks paid him his salary (I forget what it was, but it was the highest in the league). CBJ wanted to hire him, but wouldn't match the salary, so Torts would actually take home less money to actually coach for the CBJ, because signing with CBJ would end his canucks contract.

In the end Aquilini had to grease the BJ's to get them to take torts and thereby end Tortd's salary from the canucks.
I thought the general rule of thumb was that if a fired head coach was hired by another team as head coach then the former team could just pay the difference in the salary for the remainder of his tenure.

Obviously a severance package would change that. But it would also free the coach up to go wherever he wanted.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:35 pm
by ESQ
Meds wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 pm

I thought the general rule of thumb was that if a fired head coach was hired by another team as head coach then the former team could just pay the difference in the salary for the remainder of his tenure.

Obviously a severance package would change that. But it would also free the coach up to go wherever he wanted.
I think the specific issue with Torts was that his salary with the Canucks was exceedingly high, and Columbus didn't want to pay Torts that much. Which would mean that as you say, the Canucks would be "topping him up" on top of his CBJ salary. So the Aquilinis would be paying less to Torts, but at the same time they'd be paying Torts to coach a different team.

I think the usual rule of thumb has been the hiring team matches the previous team's salary and its not an issue. Or, if the hiring team is playing less, the coach accepts it because the opportunity to coach is so important, and ultimately more valuable to future earnings potential than sitting at home collecting a paycheque. But perhaps Torts was a special case, because he wanted to have his cake and eat it to - continue getting paid as one of the top-salary coaches in the league, while coaching a team that didn't want to pay him that much.

This comes into play with Quenneville, because he's making over $6 mil through this season and next, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the league. If a team wants him to take over, but doesn't want to match the Hawks' salary (which is extremely unlikely - Quenneville is much more sought after than Torts), it could create a sticky situation. But that's very unlikely.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:55 pm
by Skintag Necklace
Meds wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 pm
ESQ wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:48 am
5thhorseman wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:09 pm
Quenneville's contract runs thru 2019-20. Is he just paid a flat severance or does he have to avoid being hired by another team in order to continue collecting a paycheque? If the latter, then he has plenty of time to make a decision on which young and upcoming contender he wants to join ;) ;)
This came up when Torts was fired here. The canucks paid him his salary (I forget what it was, but it was the highest in the league). CBJ wanted to hire him, but wouldn't match the salary, so Torts would actually take home less money to actually coach for the CBJ, because signing with CBJ would end his canucks contract.

In the end Aquilini had to grease the BJ's to get them to take torts and thereby end Tortd's salary from the canucks.
I thought the general rule of thumb was that if a fired head coach was hired by another team as head coach then the former team could just pay the difference in the salary for the remainder of his tenure.

Obviously a severance package would change that. But it would also free the coach up to go wherever he wanted.
The only rule of thumb is don’t sit down too fast when you have it up your fat greasy ass Meds

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:58 pm
by micky107
ESQ wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:35 pm
Meds wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:14 pm

I thought the general rule of thumb was that if a fired head coach was hired by another team as head coach then the former team could just pay the difference in the salary for the remainder of his tenure.

Obviously a severance package would change that. But it would also free the coach up to go wherever he wanted.
I think the specific issue with Torts was that his salary with the Canucks was exceedingly high, and Columbus didn't want to pay Torts that much. Which would mean that as you say, the Canucks would be "topping him up" on top of his CBJ salary. So the Aquilinis would be paying less to Torts, but at the same time they'd be paying Torts to coach a different team.

I think the usual rule of thumb has been the hiring team matches the previous team's salary and its not an issue. Or, if the hiring team is playing less, the coach accepts it because the opportunity to coach is so important, and ultimately more valuable to future earnings potential than sitting at home collecting a paycheque. But perhaps Torts was a special case, because he wanted to have his cake and eat it to - continue getting paid as one of the top-salary coaches in the league, while coaching a team that didn't want to pay him that much.

This comes into play with Quenneville, because he's making over $6 mil through this season and next, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the league. If a team wants him to take over, but doesn't want to match the Hawks' salary (which is extremely unlikely - Quenneville is much more sought after than Torts), it could create a sticky situation. But that's very unlikely.
Simple: Toronto just hires him as another assistant.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:03 pm
by Skintag Necklace
Sure thing Dicky :roll:

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:14 pm
by The Brown Wizard
Hahaha good old skintag is back...

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:31 pm
by Meds
Lmao!!!!

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:38 pm
by micky107
Skintag Necklace wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:03 pm
Sure thing Dicky :roll:
Image

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am
by Doyle Hargraves
RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:58 am
The rest of Canada’s hate on for all things Canucks has moved in from the Sedin slagging to the now Pettersson slagging. Everybody runs to Gaudreau’s defence after the MacAvoy hit (no small man, small neck card was brought out like it was for Pettersson as to why he was hurt. Must be a general dislike for Swedish players by the rest of Canada unless you are Salming or Sundin, I suppose.

Green should stop being a twat and remove the ever so useless Eriksson from Petterson’s wing and put Roussel there, he really can’t be any worse than Eriksson. Nobody can.
:lol:

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:47 am
by Topper
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am
RoyalDude wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:58 am
The rest of Canada’s hate on for all things Canucks has moved in from the Sedin slagging to the now Pettersson slagging. Everybody runs to Gaudreau’s defence after the MacAvoy hit (no small man, small neck card was brought out like it was for Pettersson as to why he was hurt. Must be a general dislike for Swedish players by the rest of Canada unless you are Salming or Sundin, I suppose.

Green should stop being a twat and remove the ever so useless Eriksson from Petterson’s wing and put Roussel there, he really can’t be any worse than Eriksson. Nobody can.
:lol:
Are you now championing Eriksson?

Should he play centre?

Baubles is flip flopping so much we'll start calling him The Thong.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:37 am
by Doyle Hargraves
He should play defence. He could be the Wart’s partner