Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:49 pm

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Drew Doughty about re-sign with the Kings, expected to be worth more than $10M per, making cornuck's dream not come true. :o
David Pagnotta:

The LA Kings and Drew Doughty are in the process of finalizing an eight-year extension. Expectation right now is the deal, likely making him the highest paid King, will be announced Sunday.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend

Post by Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:57 am

Logan Couture get 64 million over 8 years
TRY TO FOCUS ON HOW MY ASS TASTES IN ONE YEAR

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Pedan signs with KHL. I always had hope for this kid but it seems no one really thought enough of him to give him a shot in the NHL.

Well we have Pouliot.
The only HW the Canucks need

micky107
CC Legend

Post by micky107 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:41 pm
Pedan signs with KHL. I always had hope for this kid but it seems no one really thought enough of him to give him a shot in the NHL.

Well we have Pouliot.
I'm surprised. He really had a descent year on the Pens AHL team. Not sure Pouliott would have had that good a year in Utica ?
"evolution"

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Well we have Pouliot.
I really had high hopes for him too, that game with la where pounded on Jordan was awesome.

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:17 pm

Pedan is a fairly tough fucker who wouldn’t ever back down. Good mobility, but not good enough laterally to compete in today’s NHL. Decent puck moving skills, but again, not quick enough. A bubble NHL dman... perhaps a decade too late tho.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:08 am

Kutcherov signs 8 years at 9.5 per. One million more than Stamkos. Tampa saying it won't prevent then from adding one more big contract under the right circumstances.

NYR wanted Kutcherov as part of taking bad contracts but Tampa said no. This signing at least locks up the forwards and allows Tampa to continue to pursue Karlsson if they can unload cap. NYR, or any team, has to decide if they want to help Tampa out and score picks, probably for 2020, prospects or good young roster players.

Not sure how much cap they have to clear but it all doesn't have to be this year as Karlsson's new contract wouldn't kick in until 2020 in any event.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 am

Bieksa, Hamhuis and Hanson all contemplating retirement. None of the three have had any contract offers as of yet. I'd take one of Bieksa or Hamhuis on a one year deal IF we unload some D contracts, like 4 of them, for picks. I'm talking MDZ, Hutton, Biega, Stetcher types. Make room for Hughes and possibly Juolevi and add a veteran on a one year deal. He'll add them both for old time sake.

To be clear, simply advocating for trading players who will not be part of our future to get picks and picking up a couple of vets on one year deals, flip at TDD for 3rd or 4th round picks. We need more picks right?

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:40 am

Hockey Widow wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:14 am
Bieksa, Hamhuis and Hanson all contemplating retirement. None of the three have had any contract offers as of yet. I'd take one of Bieksa or Hamhuis on a one year deal IF we unload some D contracts, like 4 of them, for picks. I'm talking MDZ, Hutton, Biega, Stetcher types. Make room for Hughes and possibly Juolevi and add a veteran on a one year deal. He'll add them both for old time sake.

To be clear, simply advocating for trading players who will not be part of our future to get picks and picking up a couple of vets on one year deals, flip at TDD for 3rd or 4th round picks. We need more picks right?
Bieksa is the only one I would consider. He said he'd go down with the ship, I figure this sub has hit the bottom, I'd give him a chance to come back and help get it surfacing again.

Edler - Gudbranson
MDZ - Tanev
Hughes - Juice

Trade Hutton or Pouliot. Stecher or Biega can head to Utica.

theman
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by theman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:10 am

Yeah, that is a good call HW. I would take either Hamhuis or Bieksa on a 1 year deal. Trading away the others for picks would be fine. That is what Blob would call good asset management. He might even crack a smile if it happened.

Hansen, sorry to say no. We have enough of his type to provide that bottom six leadership.

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP

Post by Richardstroker69 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am

I feel bad for Hansen, something happened in sanjose, I hope he lands a spot, he’s still got elite wheels and should easily help out a bottom 6 somewhere. Roussel takes his spot and I’d prefer roussel over Hansen due to his nastiness

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 am

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am
I feel bad for Hansen, something happened in sanjose, I hope he lands a spot, he’s still got elite wheels and should easily help out a bottom 6 somewhere. Roussel takes his spot and I’d prefer roussel over Hansen due to his nastiness
Yeah.. not sure if it was the style of play or what.. he just didn't seem to fit in there.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:57 am

It's been washing over a couple of threads the last few days but count me as one who just doesnt understand the desire to bring Bieksa back. He's a retread. He's 37. He's missed 57 games (close to 20%) over the last four seasons - which isnt the worst but why add another fragile body to an already fragile d corps? Lets also not forget that turnover machine Bieksa well-earned the name "casual kev" and in the later years relied on his scowl & reputation as pugnacious rather than actually being pugnacious. I for one do not miss yelling "bieksa, you're brutal" at the tv umpteen times a game and have zero appetite to see him return. I'd much rather see Biega accomplish the same (or better) results because at least he isnt casual about it. The Bieksa notion is pure nostalgia as far as I'm conerned.

Rocky Dennis
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rocky Dennis » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:08 am

Richardstroker69 wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:19 am
Yup. If he doesnt get a contract beforehand, I wouldn't mind seeing the nucks give him a pto and sign him to a 1yr deal if a spot opens up due to one or more of the youngins falling short of expectations/projections in camp and preseason. Would also depend on any player movement later this summer to clear out the forward logjam. No scientific basis but I have a hunch that Hansen would bounce back in vancouver. Definitely not his hey-day-sedin-line point totals, he would slot bottom 6 and he can bring a lot more than scoring. He's still only 31 and theyd get him dirt cheap, not that it matters much at this point in time.