Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 7915
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:38 am

BladesofSteel wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:39 am
Sounds like Chaput(RFA) and Wiercioch(UFA) won't be offered a contract and will both walk come July 1
Chaput has been dealt to Chicago for Tanner Kero.

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17017
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:19 pm

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 2653572100
Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie

John Carlson on verge of re-signing in WSH. 8 year deal.

3:14 PM - 24 Jun 2018
Crap this means my man Mike Green will be the most sought out UFA dman. ..
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
Posts: 11372
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by RoyalDude » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:24 pm

With OEL, Hanafin, Hamilton and Carlson off the table, teams will have to go the trade route for D-men. Tanev's stock rising?
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17017
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:58 pm

.
^Good point Dude.
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/statu ... 8815894528

Pierre LeBron
@PierreVLeBron

So 8 x 8 for John Carlson to stay in Washington. The OEL contract ($8.25 M AAV) had a serious impact on the Carlson negotiation
Looks like $8M x 8 years for Carlson.

Salaries are shooting up, how awesome is that Tanev contract now?

Gonna hafta offer Green $7.5M-per on a 2 year deal for any chance WOOing him to Vancouver.

THEN trade Mr Tanev for something sweet. :mex:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 17017
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 pm

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1011021530640285696
Washington Capitals
@Capitals

OFFICIAL: HE'S ALL OURS!

@JohnCarlson74 signs an eight-year contract to stay in Washington! Average annual value of $8 million.
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Richardstroker69 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:58 pm
.
^Good point Dude.
https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/statu ... 8815894528

Pierre LeBron
@PierreVLeBron

So 8 x 8 for John Carlson to stay in Washington. The OEL contract ($8.25 M AAV) had a serious impact on the Carlson negotiation
Looks like $8M x 8 years for Carlson.

Salaries are shooting up, how awesome is that Tanev contract now?

Gonna hafta offer Green $7.5M-per on a 2 year deal for any chance WOOing him to Vancouver.

THEN trade Mr Tanev for something sweet. :mex:
Toronto is gonna have to unload cap on us if they’re truly in the hunt for Tavares. Nylander and Martin for tanev.

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9115
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:19 pm
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/stat ... 2653572100
Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie

John Carlson on verge of re-signing in WSH. 8 year deal.

3:14 PM - 24 Jun 2018
Crap this means my man Mike Green will be the most sought out UFA dman. ..
lol yup Green now the #1 UFA dman this year.

Jack Johnson likely gets overpaid with honourable mention to Hickey and De Haan.

No one on that UFA dman list comes close to Tanev's level defensively or Edler's workhorse big hitter/pk/pp/ 30+pts play, kinda shows how hard it is to acquire these types of defensemen, why it might be in our best interest to keep these two high value dmen to work with Hughes, Juolevi and yes Stecher whom I still have some faith in to get better.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12781
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 pm

I’m liking the idea of keeping Tanev now IF Hughes plays with the Canucks this year. If he goes back to college I think we could get a decent return including pick(s) for next year. Edler I’d see if he’d waive at the TDD.

But certainly their is mentor ship value in keeping both Tanev and Edler for 1-2 years. Just want an extra pick or two.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 5837
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:44 pm
I’m liking the idea of keeping Tanev now IF Hughes plays with the Canucks this year. If he goes back to college I think we could get a decent return including pick(s) for next year. Edler I’d see if he’d waive at the TDD.

But certainly their is mentor ship value in keeping both Tanev and Edler for 1-2 years. Just want an extra pick or two.
I wouldn’t be opposed to pulling a New Jersey at the draft. They were the hosts when we traded Schneider to them and drafted Horvat. If we could get a 1st for one of Edler or Tanev and then go into the draft with something in the top 15 (ours) and also something in the 15-20 range, then do it. If we’re making a TDD deal for one of them it’s a safe bet that we could squeeze a 2nd out of it as well if we threw in a later pick or a B prospect.

A top pairing D or top line F would be a big enough splash I think.

Isn’t next year boasting a weaker class of draftees too?

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 9115
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:15 am

The #Pens have re-signed Bryan Rust to a four-year contract.

The deal runs through the 2021.22 campaign, and it carries an average annual value of $3.5 million.
5'11 192lbs
Is an industrious winger with great speed and some streaky scoring ability. Is also a sound defensive player who can be trusted in key situations. Is tenacious on the forecheck. Can kill penalties.
Seems like a Burrows in his prime contract.


And J.T. Miller re-signed today.
We have re-signed J.T. Miller to a five-year contract worth $5.25 million per season.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Hank
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2055
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hank » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:04 am

Pens just dumped Conor Sheary & Matt Hunwick, two salaries (5.25 Million) for a conditional 4th rounder in 2019 from Buffalo.

That seems like a terrible return on the surface, giving the Sabres two gifts for nothing in order to clear some extra cap space. Must be looking at free agency for another run at the cup.
Try to focus on 1 year from now...

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm

I can't shake a feeling they're clearing space for Tavares...

User avatar
Reefer2
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3682
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Reefer2 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:48 pm

ESQ wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm
I can't shake a feeling they're clearing space for Tavares...
Pens?

Holly hell in a hand basket, how could they afford him?

ESQ
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1663
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:14 pm

Reefer2 wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:48 pm
ESQ wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm
I can't shake a feeling they're clearing space for Tavares...
Pens?

Holly hell in a hand basket, how could they afford him?
I think if they can move out their current #3 center Brassard, they can give Tavares $8 mil and have $5 mil to sign 3 depth forwards and a #6 dman.

They could maybe go 2 years on Tavares, but then he'd overlap with Guentzel's new contract, even though Hagelin's $3 mil is coming off the books.

After 2 years they have to re-up Murray so forget it.

User avatar
Puck
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 935
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:40 pm
Location: Victoria, BC

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Puck » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:44 pm

It would be very NBA-like. Spend big bucks on another superstar and go win a championship. Why not, really? Blow it up afterwards.

Post Reply