Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:58 am

Hockey Widow wrote:Leaves sign Matthews to his ELC. Guess what? He got the max.

Leaf executives indeed had to step in to get this done. Once the leaves capitulated the deal was done, no fuss, no mess. Once again Lou looks real dumb in all of this.
No surprise there, Lou in Toronto can't hide from his old school ways.
Alec Brownscombe of Maple Leaves Hot Stove: Then Devils GM Lou Lamoriello after he signed Adam Larson (4th overall) to an entry-level deal with no bonuses in 2011 – quote from a Tom Gulitti article. http://fireandice.northjersey.com/fire- ... es-1.93658

“We do not have any individual bonuses in any player’s contract and never had it including our picks that we’ve drafted over the years. This was established after a couple of years that I came (to New Jersey). I saw something that in my mind is not team-first philosophy when players have bonuses that if they score goals, they get more money, or if they get more ice time than another player, they get more money.

I am not one who is a believer in the rookie bonuses that is in the National Hockey League CBA — the A, Bs and Cs as they’re called. Yet, everyone in the league that are drafted certainly in the top areas seem to get them. Nobody (with the Devils) has not gotten them and our conversations have been that this would not be something that’s advantagous for us to do and the reason is because every player in our locker room that we have drafted have bought into that philosphy and nobody worries about individual things and only the team and it’s a commitment that’s made. Getting a young player who his peers who have been drafted below him and above him, for him to understand and agree to that — and also his representation — this young man is as mature as he can get at his age.”
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:42 pm

Leaf executives indeed had to step in to get this done. Once the leaves capitulated the deal was done, no fuss, no mess. Once again Lou looks real dumb in all of this.
Ah yes, those of us here who were mocking Lou said he'd be forced to compromise his "principles".

Awesome Auston, now grow a beard and demand a high number!

Look for Lou's wee gonads in a pickle jar in Matthews' stall. :mrgreen:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Reefer2
MVP
MVP

Post by Reefer2 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:24 pm

Part of me, a big part, hopes he only turns into a 50 point player. I will laugh every time the Nucks play them.

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:46 am

possible future Canuck - but current Sabres forward Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor criminal trespass charge in bar incident.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/07/2 ... -incident/
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:15 am

SKYO wrote:possible future Canuck - but current Sabres forward Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor criminal trespass charge in bar incident.

... and his stock keeping falling...
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:22 am

Cornuck wrote:
SKYO wrote:possible future Canuck - but current Sabres forward Evander Kane arrested on misdemeanor criminal trespass charge in bar incident.

... and his stock keeping falling...
Let's just really keep thinking about the future and even if it comes up, "take a pass"..
"evolution"

Iceman2014
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Iceman2014 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:43 am

He'll never be a Canuck. He is an absolute idiot and is not a fit here. It's tempting but not worth the risk with this guy. He needs to be out of the league for a while.

The Canucks need to continue adding youth. It'd be ideal to move an older, valuable asset like Edler. Hansen would be another guy worth something. I'd still like to see them target guys like Landeskog, Duchene and James van Reimsdyk.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:45 am

I think he was just hoping one of these women would do his laundry.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:48 am

I'm sure it must have been very humiliating for him to have been handcuffed out on the street for the world to witness. He and his lawyer arranged the surrender and wanted it done privately. The police wanted it public. If this doesn't serve as a wake up call nothing will for this guy.

If Buffalo wants to sell real low with some retention I'd still take a chance on the kid being able to stay out of trouble in his hometown. I'd be very reluctant to pay full price though.
The only HW the Canucks need

Ronning's Ghost
MVP
MVP

Post by Ronning's Ghost » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:23 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:If Buffalo wants to sell real low with some retention I'd still take a chance on the kid being able to stay out of trouble in his hometown. I'd be very reluctant to pay full price though.
I think that's exactly right: if his current troubles lead to a substantial discount on his trade value, it would be a good gamble that being around his family would help him stabilize his off-ice behaviour, but it would be too big a risk to pay the full trade value of what his on-ice performance would warrant. I hope Benning sees it your way.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:53 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:If Buffalo wants to sell real low with some retention I'd still take a chance on the kid being able to stay out of trouble in his hometown. I'd be very reluctant to pay full price though.
I'm on this side as well. It has to be low enough that if we need to dump him (ala Kassian), we don't feel the sting of what we lost to Buffalo.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:57 pm

I think if possible Murray could just terminate his contract and be done with it.

Then Kane could sign a cheap one year prove-it deal, get his life on track, Vancouver his hometown/family yadayada seems like the most logical choice for the troubled youngster.

olpaddy
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by olpaddy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:59 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I'm sure it must have been very humiliating for him to have been handcuffed out on the street for the world to witness. He and his lawyer arranged the surrender and wanted it done privately. The police wanted it public. If this doesn't serve as a wake up call nothing will for this guy.

If Buffalo wants to sell real low with some retention I'd still take a chance on the kid being able to stay out of trouble in his hometown. I'd be very reluctant to pay full price though.
HW I think discretion in this case might be prudent... Taking a chance on him not getting into trouble in his hometown I think is beyond a reach here... Its like saying He was in situations in WINTERPEG AND BUFFALO... coming to Vancouver to get on the straight an narrow is a kin to saying Johnny Football will be better off resurecting his career in Dallas... Some guys are just beyond it...

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:10 pm

SKYO wrote:I think if possible Murray could just terminate his contract and be done with it.

Then Kane could sign a cheap one year prove-it deal, get his life on track, Vancouver his hometown/family yadayada seems like the most logical choice for the troubled youngster.

The problem Murray has is that he isn't ready to walk away and still wants good value in a trade. He may get good value. My hope is that Benning's desire to add a player like Kane doesn't override common sense by Benning.

There have been no reported on ice issues with Kane nor any locker room issues. The issues are squarely, at least in Buffalo, in the off ice realm. What Murray was most incensed about in the latest incident was the fact Eichel was out with him. It's that off ice influence that worries the Sabres.

I don't think Murray is at the point of cutting bait and running. I don't think he's at the point of trading him for whatever.

But for sure if the Sabres find a way to void his contract and Kane becomes UFA then Benning going for a one year show me deal would be smart. I just think he, Murray, doesn't have to be that extreme yet. Kane still has trade value.
The only HW the Canucks need

micky107
MVP
MVP

Post by micky107 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:13 pm

olpaddy wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I'm sure it must have been very humiliating for him to have been handcuffed out on the street for the world to witness. He and his lawyer arranged the surrender and wanted it done privately. The police wanted it public. If this doesn't serve as a wake up call nothing will for this guy.

HW I think discretion in this case might be prudent... Taking a chance on him not getting into trouble in his hometown I think is beyond a reach here... Its like saying He was in situations in WINTERPEG AND BUFFALO... coming to Vancouver to get on the straight an narrow is a kin to saying Johnny Football will be better off resurecting his career in Dallas... Some guys are just beyond it...
I have to agree with this line of thinking. If a problem exists, not sure being home will arrest it.
Also; If you bring him into the fold you could end up with a dressing room situation where as some may befriend him and some may not. With so many impressionable minds on the team now, I would not go this route..
"evolution"