Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow » Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:00 pm

I was reading up on the Panthers and the optimism surrounding all the off season changes. Starting in goal with the contract for Reimer. Then it occurred to me that they can only protect one goalie. If they leave Reimer unprotected big chance he gets selected by Las Vegas. Wonder if they protect him hoping Luongo goes unclaimed, likely. If Luongo goes unprotected and LV selects him wonder if we will be looking at a cap recapture sooner rather than later.
The only HW the Canucks need

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:31 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:I was reading up on the Panthers and the optimism surrounding all the off season changes. Starting in goal with the contract for Reimer. Then it occurred to me that they can only protect one goalie. If they leave Reimer unprotected big chance he gets selected by Las Vegas. Wonder if they protect him hoping Luongo goes unclaimed, likely. If Luongo goes unprotected and LV selects him wonder if we will be looking at a cap recapture sooner rather than later.
I don't think they'd be worried about leaving Reimer unprotected. Vegas could have a better goalie to pick than him.

Also, isn't Lou big into Poker? He might like Vegas.

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:50 pm

According to GeneralFanager Reimer doesn't have any kind of trade protection. Luongo does.

Unless things have changed I think Florida has to honour Lou's NTC and protect him unless he waives.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Meds wrote:According to GeneralFanager Reimer doesn't have any kind of trade protection. Luongo does.

Unless things have changed I think Florida has to honour Lou's NTC and protect him unless he waives.
Nope, Lou can be exposed in the expansion draft (and I'll bet Florida will indeed expose him).

See, Lou doesn't have a NMC.

Pretty sure the expansion team won't take a 38-yr-old (by then) $6M goalie though.

I'll bet the Cats ran this all by Luongo before they signed Reimer...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:37 am

Strangelove wrote:
Meds wrote:According to GeneralFanager Reimer doesn't have any kind of trade protection. Luongo does.

Nope, Lou can be exposed in the expansion draft (and I'll bet Florida will indeed expose him).

Pretty sure the expansion team won't take a 38-yr-old (by then) $6M goalie though.

Yeah of the two, I still think they'd protect Luongo. Not sure why they gave Reimer the deal they did, probably to bring him in there without trade protection, and have him backup Lou in case Lou starts to break down. Word is they're already starting the season without him.

Vegas will be able to choose a combination of Bernier/Gibson, Rask/Subban/Khubodin, Ward/Lack, Howard/Mrazek, Lehtonen/Niemi, Dubnyk/Kuemper, Andersson/Hammond, Mason/Neuvirth, Miller/Markstrom, Pavelic/Hellebuyk etc etc... the list is long and then you get into spots where some goalies have NMC's and need to be protected so guys like Matt Murray or Andrey Vasilevski could even be available barring fairly significant trades.

Goaltending is the one spot where Vegas will be able to find some competitive help right away.

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:52 am

Having to select a minimum of three goalies, and looking at who is potentially available, they should get two decent NHL goalies and someone for their AHL affiliate.

Any idea who their AHL affiliate is?

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:23 pm

Hockey Widow wrote:Having to select a minimum of three goalies, and looking at who is potentially available, they should get two decent NHL goalies and someone for their AHL affiliate.

Any idea who their AHL affiliate is?
Reno Rejects?

ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Almost-27 year old, 15-goal, 40-point winger Alex Killorn gets $4.45x7 years.

And again, after a disastrously-injured season, the Sutter contract is still looking better and better.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:32 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Vegas will be able to choose a combination of Bernier/Gibson, Rask/Subban/Khubodin, Ward/Lack, Howard/Mrazek, Lehtonen/Niemi, Dubnyk/Kuemper, Andersson/Hammond, Mason/Neuvirth, Miller/Markstrom, Pavelic/Hellebuyk
Obviously protected: Gibson, Rask, Mrazek, Dubnyk, Andersson, Mason, Markstrom, Hellebuyk.

Most of those other guys will either be UFAs or otherwise not worth selecting.

Subban will be plucked for sure, and I agree with you that Vegas will end up with a decent set of goalies.

I think they end up with Fleury, Subban, and ??
Island Nucklehead wrote: and then you get into spots where some goalies have NMC's and need to be protected so guys like Matt Murray or Andrey Vasilevski could even be available barring fairly significant trades.
No possible way that Murray or Vasilevski are exposed.

Bishop is a pending UFA (so he doesn't need to be protected) (which means Pens can protect Murray).

Anyway, Bishop is very likely traded...

Fleury will either be traded, agree to waive for the draft, or get bought out (Vas is their goalie now).
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Meds
CC Legend

Post by Meds » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Strangelove wrote:

So automatic expansion protection only applies to NMC's not NTC?

Do you have a link for the protection rules, merely curious to read it.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:53 pm

Meds wrote: Do you have a link for the protection rules, merely curious to read it.
http://www.canuckscorner.com/forums/vie ... 85#p260685

:wink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Vegas will be able to choose a combination of Bernier/Gibson, Rask/Subban/Khubodin, Ward/Lack, Howard/Mrazek, Lehtonen/Niemi, Dubnyk/Kuemper, Andersson/Hammond, Mason/Neuvirth, Miller/Markstrom, Pavelic/Hellebuyk
Obviously protected: Gibson, Rask, Mrazek, Dubnyk, Andersson, Mason, Markstrom, Hellebuyk.

Most of those other guys will either be UFAs or otherwise not worth selecting.
Yep. Point being Florida shouldn't be worried about exposing Reimer OR Luongo. But I think Luongo will be the better goalie as long as he wants to keep playing. Even if FLA loses Reimer it's not like they can't go right back in†ø the UFA market July 1 and find a capable replacement.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Vegas could be looking at people like Luongo as 'marquee' players to start building the brand. Consider that Luongo's a big poker player and you've got some built in marketing right there. ;)

Vegas has to win sell tickets in their sophomore year, but they need some personalities to sell the game that is new to 95% of the local population.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:42 pm

I have a hard time imagining Riemer going unclaimed.

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Cornuck wrote: Vegas has to win sell tickets in their sophomore year, but they need some personalities to sell the game that is new to 95% of the local population.
Can they claim Torts?