Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Canuck-One » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:47 pm

David Booth is an NHL quality player. Unfortunately he never truly got a chance in Vancouver. He isn't a 40 goal or even 30 goal guy but 20 isn't out of the question with someone who can feed him the puck.
User avatar
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:49 am
Location: Living the Life

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Tciso wrote:Booth will fit into a bottom 6 role with a team pretty easily for $1.5mil or less. I would be surprised if he doesn't get a contract


Not so sure about that. Seems like the type of guy that might get an invite to camp and try to prove he's still got it. Can't see many teams just gifting him a contract at this stage.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4162
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ClamRussel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tciso wrote:Booth will fit into a bottom 6 role with a team pretty easily for $1.5mil or less. I would be surprised if he doesn't get a contract


Not so sure about that. Seems like the type of guy that might get an invite to camp and try to prove he's still got it. Can't see many teams just gifting him a contract at this stage.

After his strong finish to the season (when he finally got healthy) he shouldn't need to be on a tryout. The guy isn't a 30+ goal scorer anymore but he is big, hits, hustles & can score 20+ if he stays healthy. Perhaps Detroit brings him home. He certainly brings more to the table than Bertuzzi did the past few years.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Boston Canucker » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:33 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tciso wrote:Booth will fit into a bottom 6 role with a team pretty easily for $1.5mil or less. I would be surprised if he doesn't get a contract


Not so sure about that. Seems like the type of guy that might get an invite to camp and try to prove he's still got it. Can't see many teams just gifting him a contract at this stage.


Yeah, he's not going to get any serious money. Teams have all the leverage. I could see him on a PTO or 1 mill or less. It's also his injuries, not just his play, that will scare teams off. Maybe the Jets will give him a shot, could be a good place for him.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:16 am

ClamRussel wrote:After his strong finish to the season (when he finally got healthy) he shouldn't need to be on a tryout. The guy isn't a 30+ goal scorer anymore but he is big, hits, hustles & can score 20+ if he stays healthy. Perhaps Detroit brings him home. He certainly brings more to the table than Bertuzzi did the past few years.



Seriously? Bertuzzi certainly "brought more to the table" than Booth.

Bertuzzi has that net presence, size, and toughness that Booth has never had. Despite being 10 years older he's also been a better producer. Even last year they put up nearly identical PPG. He also made less than half of what Booth did. You can't say a guy that is paid to be a bottom-6 player, putting up bottom-6 numbers brings less to the table than a guy paid to be a top-6 player while putting up bottom-6 numbers. One is doing his job, the other fucking sucks. :lol:

Bertuzzi was basically performing as expected, given his age and contract. Booth was an utter failure as a hockey player during his time in Vancouver. I'd suspect, given that guys like Ribiero and Hetley are going for $1M, that Booth will likely need to play for under 800K or show up to camp on a tryout.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4162
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Tciso » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Boston Canucker wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Tciso wrote:Booth will fit into a bottom 6 role with a team pretty easily for $1.5mil or less. I would be surprised if he doesn't get a contract


Not so sure about that. Seems like the type of guy that might get an invite to camp and try to prove he's still got it. Can't see many teams just gifting him a contract at this stage.


Yeah, he's not going to get any serious money. Teams have all the leverage. I could see him on a PTO or 1 mill or less. It's also his injuries, not just his play, that will scare teams off. Maybe the Jets will give him a shot, could be a good place for him.


I think he will have lots of opportunity. lots of teams are up against the cap, and Booth, while he has issues, can play. Philly needs a guy like him, once they drop some cap space. Rangers. Winnipeg. Tarana. Deadmonton. Carolina, Detroit. I can see a role with many of these teams, as they need a 3rd liner with low cap hit. Heck, if Booth took a pay cut to $1mil, I'd have kept him here as a no-risk option, as he costs basically nothing to send down to the AHL. But, the system doesn't allow it
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Tciso
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:After his strong finish to the season (when he finally got healthy) he shouldn't need to be on a tryout. The guy isn't a 30+ goal scorer anymore but he is big, hits, hustles & can score 20+ if he stays healthy. Perhaps Detroit brings him home. He certainly brings more to the table than Bertuzzi did the past few years.



Seriously? Bertuzzi certainly "brought more to the table" than Booth.

Bertuzzi has that net presence, size, and toughness that Booth has never had. Despite being 10 years older he's also been a better producer. Even last year they put up nearly identical PPG. He also made less than half of what Booth did. You can't say a guy that is paid to be a bottom-6 player, putting up bottom-6 numbers brings less to the table than a guy paid to be a top-6 player while putting up bottom-6 numbers. One is doing his job, the other fucking sucks. :lol:

Bertuzzi was basically performing as expected, given his age and contract. Booth was an utter failure as a hockey player during his time in Vancouver. I'd suspect, given that guys like Ribiero and Hetley are going for $1M, that Booth will likely need to play for under 800K or show up to camp on a tryout.

Seriously! You do realize I said after his strong finish when he was finally healthy. I'm not talking about his full tenure here. Booth was solid here pre-kneeing incident and in his final couple months. I'm looking at Booth during the home stretch as being a good indicator of what he can bring to the table...if he can stay healthy. Booth was damn physical and fast on the forecheck, there was one game he dished out 9 hits! The guy could be a solid contributor to some teams 3rd line.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:37 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Seriously! You do realize I said after his strong finish when he was finally healthy. I'm not talking about his full tenure here. Booth was solid here pre-kneeing incident and in his final couple months. I'm looking at Booth during the home stretch as being a good indicator of what he can bring to the table...if he can stay healthy. Booth was damn physical and fast on the forecheck, there was one game he dished out 9 hits! The guy could be a solid contributor to some teams 3rd line.


Strong finish?

Booth had one good STRETCH of THREE games (3G 1A) against Buffalo, Minny and Colorado 23-27 March. That's it. In the 7 games to finish the season he had 1 goal and 1 assist. Prior to his "strong finish" he had 3 assists in 24 games.

Booth returned to the Canucks lineup January 15th. In the 34 games he played after that he scored 4 goals and had 5 assists and was -3. 9 points in 34 games is a 21 point season. He might have looked better to your eyes, but he was not productive.

If that is a "strong finish" for Booth, then he must've been REALLY bad when he was "weak". The fact that he couldn't stay healthy might play into that, but between his production and lack of durability, I can't see one good reason to give him anything more than a league-minimum contract and I'd suspect he winds up on a PTO.
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4162
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby the Dogsalmon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:07 pm

I am shocked Gillis didnt sign Booth to a 4 year 20 million NMC NTC before he got canned...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ClamRussel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Seriously! You do realize I said after his strong finish when he was finally healthy. I'm not talking about his full tenure here. Booth was solid here pre-kneeing incident and in his final couple months. I'm looking at Booth during the home stretch as being a good indicator of what he can bring to the table...if he can stay healthy. Booth was damn physical and fast on the forecheck, there was one game he dished out 9 hits! The guy could be a solid contributor to some teams 3rd line.


Strong finish?

Booth had one good STRETCH of THREE games (3G 1A) against Buffalo, Minny and Colorado 23-27 March. That's it. In the 7 games to finish the season he had 1 goal and 1 assist. Prior to his "strong finish" he had 3 assists in 24 games.

Booth returned to the Canucks lineup January 15th. In the 34 games he played after that he scored 4 goals and had 5 assists and was -3. 9 points in 34 games is a 21 point season. He might have looked better to your eyes, but he was not productive.

If that is a "strong finish" for Booth, then he must've been REALLY bad when he was "weak". The fact that he couldn't stay healthy might play into that, but between his production and lack of durability, I can't see one good reason to give him anything more than a league-minimum contract and I'd suspect he winds up on a PTO.

Sounds like you didn't watch many games in the home stretch (can't blame you for that) or I seriously question your judgment here. When most of this team had mailed it in, our 3rd line was by far the best trio on a consistent basis. Booth looked reborn, he finally had his speed back in the home stretch. This just happened to be the time frame surgeons told him it would take. He did manage 6pts (4-2) in the final 10gp while taking 26 shots on goal and going +5. Not bad stats for a guy receiving limited icetime & no pp. But forget those stats, I trust my own eyes & he was playing great...not worth his bloated top 6 salary but certainly worth a contract w/o requiring a tryout. He had speed and he had determination, he looked like he had his game back! I was one of his biggest critics the past couple years (he looked like shit) but I have to give credit where credit is due. I think I'm being reasonable in saying he could help a team in need of a speedy hard working 3rd liner w/ some offensive capabilities (15 goal pace). He played through the recovery of a severe ankle injury, a smart GM (w/ a 3rd line need) will judge him on the home stretch when he got his wheels back.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:06 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:I am shocked Gillis didnt sign Booth to a 4 year 20 million NMC NTC before he got canned...

Do you mainline gas into your veins or just huff it out of a rag ?
Tell me how my ass tastes.
User avatar
Blob Mckenzie
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:38 am

ClamRussel wrote: This just happened to be the time frame surgeons told him it would take. He did manage 6pts (4-2) in the final 10gp while taking 26 shots on goal and going +5. Not bad stats for a guy receiving limited icetime & no pp. But forget those stats, I trust my own eyes & he was playing great...not worth his bloated top 6 salary but certainly worth a contract w/o requiring a tryout. He had speed and he had determination, he looked like he had his game back!


A 10 game stretch when the team is out of it completely outweighs the previous 3 seasons in determining this players value? To me that says he played like the Canucks expected him (and paid him) to for maybe 30 games out of 3 seasons...

A guy like Mike Santorelli was great for half the season, played at a 47 point pace, and got a one-year, $1.5M deal. Dany Heatley was a better player last year, and he was tragic.

If I was a GM in the NHL, I'd take one look at Booth and see a guy that cannot stay healthy, is anything but consistent, has a debatable dedication to the sport, can't score enough to be in my top-6 and isn't mean enough for my bottom-6. He's about as intense as a Teletubby...
User avatar
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4162
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby ClamRussel » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:20 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: This just happened to be the time frame surgeons told him it would take. He did manage 6pts (4-2) in the final 10gp while taking 26 shots on goal and going +5. Not bad stats for a guy receiving limited icetime & no pp. But forget those stats, I trust my own eyes & he was playing great...not worth his bloated top 6 salary but certainly worth a contract w/o requiring a tryout. He had speed and he had determination, he looked like he had his game back!


A 10 game stretch when the team is out of it completely outweighs the previous 3 seasons in determining this players value? To me that says he played like the Canucks expected him (and paid him) to for maybe 30 games out of 3 seasons...

A guy like Mike Santorelli was great for half the season, played at a 47 point pace, and got a one-year, $1.5M deal. Dany Heatley was a better player last year, and he was tragic.

If I was a GM in the NHL, I'd take one look at Booth and see a guy that cannot stay healthy, is anything but consistent, has a debatable dedication to the sport, can't score enough to be in my top-6 and isn't mean enough for my bottom-6. He's about as intense as a Teletubby...

It was longer than 10 games, his improved play began in the new year & improved as the season went on. I just pointed the last 10 games because he was one of our better forwards at that point. A trajectory that doesn't erase the previous injury filled seasons (or determines his value) but simply shows how he can play when he's healthy. I suspect he'd possibly still be on the Canucks if they were allowed to renegotiate his contract (or even resign) to something reasonable. Booth is certainly more intense than Hansen or Higgins. I don't really care to defend Booth but lets at least be realistic about this, his ankle has recovered, he's got wheels & he'll sign a deal for about a mill to go somewhere.
"Once a King, always a King"
-Mike Murphy
User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby RoyalDude » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:21 am

It seems to be that Weird Dude Booth will not get another contract in the NHL, if only just one GM out there felt the same about Weird Dude as some of Booths CC loyalists but hmmmm it doesn't seem to be, but all is not lost, at least the bear baiter, workout junkie will have plenty of time to work out the kinks in his new found passion -'tension line walking'. David Booth, the Canucks were quite honoured to pay you all those well deserved millions and I'd like to thank NTC Gillis for making it happen
"I just want to say one word to you. Just one word. Are you listening? - Plastics." - The Graduate
User avatar
RoyalDude
CC Legend
 
Posts: 4457
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby the Dogsalmon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
the Dogsalmon wrote:I am shocked Gillis didnt sign Booth to a 4 year 20 million NMC NTC before he got canned...

Do you mainline gas into your veins or just huff it out of a rag ?



you get better mileage out of the rag...
User avatar
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star
 
Posts: 665
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 am
Location: in the ainus

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: givemeda411, Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests