Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Postby Island Nucklehead » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Surprised BigTuna hasn't been in here posting this... but the Leafs sign Phaneuf for 7 years and $49M. The Laufs didn't have much choice, couldn't let him go for nothing, and selling him at the deadline wouldn't play well with the faithful... but damn, that seems like a lot for Phaneuf. He becomes the 5th highest cap-hit for d-men next season.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby BladesofSteel » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:Surprised BigTuna hasn't been in here posting this...

Can you really blame him?

Leaf Nation = :bang:
The grass is always greener
BladesofSteel
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby Reefer2 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:59 am

Island Nucklehead wrote:Surprised BigTuna hasn't been in here posting this... but the Leafs sign Phaneuf for 7 years and $49M. The Laufs didn't have much choice, couldn't let him go for nothing, and selling him at the deadline wouldn't play well with the faithful... but damn, that seems like a lot for Phaneuf. He becomes the 5th highest cap-hit for d-men next season.

Is it too much when the cap goes up $6M next season and who knows what the following season?
Reefer2
CC 1st Team All-Star

Postby rats19 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:07 am

Its to much for the player period even if you can squeak it in under the cap or not
You are who you hang with.....
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:35 am

Not a bad signing me thinks. I thot he'd get $5.5-$6M, some ppl thot he'd getz $8M+ in the openz marketz. He signz right in middle @ $7M, bit of a hometown discount I guess. :lol:
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:22 am

Reefer2 wrote:Is it too much when the cap goes up $6M next season and who knows what the following season?

I just don't think Phaneuf is a guy to build your franchise around. I think he's a valuable player, but not a minute-crushing all-round, franchise No.1. I think he's more Edler than Chara/Weber.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:29 am

Too much money for a guy who likely isn't a top 20 defenceman. He is a pretty good player but not 7 million for 7 years good. Really he is marginally better than Cody Franson but the mean streak and big hits aren't worth an extra 4 million per season. I love how people justify a bad contract by saying that someone else would have given him more money. So that makes it better right ?? Fucking retarded thinking right there. Sure the cap is going up but when you have 20 per year million tied up in Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf that could be a problem. 19 mill on Kesler and the twins is a bit easier to swallow. Much better bang for the buck there.

Bersnoozi must be a hoot at parties. Mangling the English language and then roaring with laughter at his own weak jokes.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Postby Island Nucklehead » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:50 am

Maple Leafs acquire Tim Gleason from Carolina for JM Liles and former 6th round pick Dennis Robertson.
Island Nucklehead
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:27 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Not a bad signing me thinks.

You thinks does you? :roll:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100406101205/http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Phaneuf+unfazed+after+poll+crowns+most+overrated/2758408/story.html

APRIL 3, 2010

Dion Phaneuf Demmed Most Overrated Player in the NHL by Peers

Feedback for the Sports Illustrated poll didn’t come from media boobs or Internet ninnies. Rather, it was Phaneuf’s peers — 272 of them, a third of the league — who voted on the topic.

And the title went to Phaneuf in a landslide.

Phaneuf drew 21 per cent of the nods. Next was New York Rangers defender Wade Redden, who got seven per cent. Rounding out the top five were Montreal Canadiens centre Scott Gomez (six), Rangers winger Sean Avery (five) and Edmonton Oilers centre Shawn Horcoff (five).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/nhl.players.poll.most.overrated/content.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

NHL Players Poll: Dion Phaneuf is the Most Overrated Player in the NHL

1. Dion Phaneuf, Toronto Maple Leafs D 20%
2. Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals LW 8%

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9764686/nhl-players-speak-anonymously-realignment-peds-goalie-pads-espn-magazine

OCTOBER 3, 2013

ESPN Player Poll Crowns Phaneuf the Most Overrated Player in the NHL in a Landslide

Dion Phaneuf 13%
Henrik Lundqvist 6.7%
Carl Hagelin 3.3%

:lol: :lol: :lol:
____
"I like to think that this team can get its mojo back" - Ryan Miller
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Todd Bersnoozi » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Strangelove wrote:

*LOL* We just had this discussion on another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10079&start=285

dbr wrote:For all his flaws he (Dion) is probably the most appealing defenseman headed into free agency: young, durable, physical, capable of putting up points and for all of his deserved scorn as a moron out on the ice he does pretty well in pretty tough matchups defensively.

I would add he has a cannon of a shot, logs a ton of minutes and he's a fierce competitor/leader on the ice. I wonder if u want to go @ it with your budz. :roll:

StrangeOne wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/nhl.players.poll.most.overrated/content.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

Not sure why would u link this poll, fuckin Einstein man. :lol: If we had Ovi, he'd easily be our best forward. Hell, if we had Dion, he'd easily be our #1 D-man. I think I'd still go:

Dion @ $7M > Edler @ $5M
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Blob Mckenzie » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:23 pm

^^^^Hamhuis is a far better player than Phaneuf^^^^ and lol at the other comparison between Edler and Phaneuf.
Tell me how my ass tastes.
Blob Mckenzie
CC Hall of Fan Member

Postby Arachnid » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:24 pm

Strangelove wrote:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100406101205/http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Phaneuf+unfazed+after+poll+crowns+most+overrated/2758408/story.html

APRIL 3, 2010

Dion Phaneuf Demmed Most Overrated Player in the NHL by Peers

Feedback for the Sports Illustrated poll didn’t come from media boobs or Internet ninnies. Rather, it was Phaneuf’s peers — 272 of them, a third of the league — who voted on the topic.

And the title went to Phaneuf in a landslide.

Phaneuf drew 21 per cent of the nods. Next was New York Rangers defender Wade Redden, who got seven per cent. Rounding out the top five were Montreal Canadiens centre Scott Gomez (six), Rangers winger Sean Avery (five) and Edmonton Oilers centre Shawn Horcoff (five).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/nhl.players.poll.most.overrated/content.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9764686/nhl-players-speak-anonymously-realignment-peds-goalie-pads-espn-magazine

OCTOBER 3, 2013

ESPN Player Poll Crowns Phaneuf the Most Overrated Player in the NHL in a Landslide

Dion Phaneuf 13%
Henrik Lundqvist 6.7%
Carl Hagelin 3.3%

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I dunno Doc, you're argument and evidence is pretty weak...while I agree the Princess is overvalued your point of reference is January 2012 (Or October, for that matter)...flash forward I don't think Ovi & him are playing as bad as they were back then...
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
dbr wrote:For all his flaws he (Dion) is probably the most appealing defenseman headed into free agency: young, durable, physical, capable of putting up points and for all of his deserved scorn as a moron out on the ice he does pretty well in pretty tough matchups defensively.

I would add he has a cannon of a shot, logs a ton of minutes and he's a fierce competitor/leader on the ice. I wonder if u want to go @ it with your budz. :roll:

I'm quite sure my buddy Dave would agree with my one and only point... Todd.

That being:

In NHL player polls, Dion Phaneuf has been consistently rated as one of the most overrated players in the league.

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1201/nhl.players.poll.most.overrated/content.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

Not sure why would u link this poll, fuckin Einstein man. :lol: If we had Ovi, he'd easily be our best forward.

Well you see Todd, folks like Einstein and yours truly understand the definition of the word...

"overrated". Image

You see... Todd... "overrated" is a "relative" term.

Mr Ovechkin was still talked about by pundits as perhaps the best player in the world

.... on JANUARY 5 2012.

(at that point, he was in the midst of what one could call a slump by superduperstar standards)

Meanwhile Mr Phaneuf was never considered to be an elite player.

For example, Mr Ovechkin is invited to participate in what will be his 3rd Winter Olympic Games next month.

How many Winter Olympic Games has your Mr Phaneuf been invited to... Todd?

Is any of this sinking in ole beaner?

RELATIVITY! :thumbs:

You don't need to be an Einstein to understand it...

Many NHLers considered Ovechkin overrated as perhaps the greatest player on Earth

... on JANUARY 5 2012.

Many NHLers considered Phaneuf overrated as an above-average NHL defenseman

... on APRIL 3, 2010, JANUARY 5 2012, and OCTOBER 3, 2013.

GOT IT? :thumbs:

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:Dion @ $7M > Edler @ $5M

Well that's just stupid....
Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Strangelove » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Arachnid wrote:I dunno Doc, you're argument and evidence is pretty weak.

Ummmmmmmmmm......

whooosh

And it's "your". :thumbs:
____
Strangelove
CC Legend

Postby Arachnid » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote:I dunno Doc, you're argument and evidence is pretty weak.

Ummmmmmmmmm......

whooosh

And it's "your". :thumbs:

is the sound of my slapshot whizzing by your head as you waste your waining life energy on trivial pursuits...

Ovi overrated :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Socks are dead puppets :(
Arachnid
CC Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Canucks Corner Chat