Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2051
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am
Location: Arnprior, Ontario

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Lancer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:54 am

the Dogsalmon wrote:
Lancer wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Of if they traded us Kadri, Franson and Bozak for Luongo.
It may be a tad premature, but I am looking forward to reminding the tools here in Ontario that they could have had Luongo, but they should just settle down and enjoy five more years of genius management.

Let's see Dreger wipe his coz's jizz off his chin and spin this one into something sugary for the masses here.


Nonis may have been a cheeseburger eating fool...but..he is not the worst G.M in the league. That would go to players agent mike gillis...
Haven't we been sailing around this buoy enough all summer??? :roll:

Training camp can't start soon enough.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 am

Interesting that they didn't use the compliance buyout on JML and the regular buy out on Komisarek. Would have given them a few more bucks and Komisarek had only one year left.

I do think Bernier gives them the "potential" to have very solid goaltending but so much will depend upon them being a better team defensively overall.

If last season was a full 82 game schedule I still don't think they would have made the playoffs though. They will miss Garbo's production.
The only HW the Canucks need

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 833
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Benjo » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:17 am

NHL Transactionist ‏@NHLTransactions 1h

FLORIDA PANTHERS: Agreed to terms with forward Steve Pinizzotto on a one- year, two-way contract.
I'm still a little disappointed we ditched Volpatti to keep him.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:54 am

Benjo wrote:
NHL Transactionist ‏@NHLTransactions 1h

FLORIDA PANTHERS: Agreed to terms with forward Steve Pinizzotto on a one- year, two-way contract.
I'm still a little disappointed we ditched Volpatti to keep him.
Don't forget that the Canucks eventually replaced Volpatti with Sestito... :lol:

Personally, I would take Volpatti over Sestito.

User avatar
Per
CC Legend
Posts: 3192
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:45 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Per » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:10 am

Coyote owners must be getting desperate; they traded the entire team. :?

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... lanc-group
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.

User avatar
Jovocop
CC Legend
Posts: 3048
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Jovocop » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Things are not looking good for Hodgson.

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-sign-Tropp ... n/16998240
Hodgson could become a big problem. He’s represented by one of the sleaziest agents in pro sports, Rich Winter. Winter led Dominik Hasek to many, many poor decisions and he already made Hodgson a guy that just wasn’t worth keeping around by causing problems in Vancouver. I’m not saying this will happen, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Sabres are pushed to a point where the have to trade the centerman because of Winter.

User avatar
Uncle dans leg
CC Legend
Posts: 4149
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Uncle dans leg » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Jovocop wrote:Things are not looking good for Hodgson.

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-sign-Tropp ... n/16998240
Hodgson could become a big problem. He’s represented by one of the sleaziest agents in pro sports, Rich Winter. Winter led Dominik Hasek to many, many poor decisions and he already made Hodgson a guy that just wasn’t worth keeping around by causing problems in Vancouver. I’m not saying this will happen, but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Sabres are pushed to a point where the have to trade the centerman because of Winter.
He does share the same hairdoo as Lindros had....

Maybe Big Daddy Lindros spent some time "delivering the milk" in cottage country about 23 years ago...
nobody forks...with the jesus

User avatar
vic
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 854
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by vic » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:10 am

New Jersey Devils on the brink of bankruptcy
The New Jersey Devils are likely to be taken over by the National Hockey League around the time the season begins next month when teams begin cutting payroll checks unless a buyer for the team quickly steps up, according to multiple sources.

Neither the NHL or the Devils would comment on the situation.

The Devils have $230 million of debt and team owner Jeff Vanderbeek missed the first payment on a recently restructured bank loan. The team’s annual debt payment is around $15 million a year and in the past the Devils have already used prepayments of future revenue streams to pay bills. Andrew Barroway was poised to buy the hockey team and operating rights to the Prudential Center, but withdrew his offer within the past two weeks after getting a closer look at the team’s books.

more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... ng/looming

User avatar
ukcanuck
CC Legend
Posts: 3352
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ukcanuck » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 am

vic wrote:New Jersey Devils on the brink of bankruptcy
The New Jersey Devils are likely to be taken over by the National Hockey League around the time the season begins next month when teams begin cutting payroll checks unless a buyer for the team quickly steps up, according to multiple sources.

Neither the NHL or the Devils would comment on the situation.

The Devils have $230 million of debt and team owner Jeff Vanderbeek missed the first payment on a recently restructured bank loan. The team’s annual debt payment is around $15 million a year and in the past the Devils have already used prepayments of future revenue streams to pay bills. Andrew Barroway was poised to buy the hockey team and operating rights to the Prudential Center, but withdrew his offer within the past two weeks after getting a closer look at the team’s books.

more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... ng/looming
Move the devils to Quebec City and be done with the bullshit....
Well the anglophonic bullshit anyway. Them French fried fuckers have no end of le shite de bull

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 15781
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:19 pm

vic wrote:
The New Jersey Devils are likely to be taken over by the National Hockey League around the time the season begins next month when teams begin cutting payroll checks unless a buyer for the team quickly steps up, according to multiple sources.

Neither the NHL or the Devils would comment on the situation.

The Devils have $230 million of debt and team owner Jeff Vanderbeek missed the first payment on a recently restructured bank loan. The team’s annual debt payment is around $15 million a year and in the past the Devils have already used prepayments of future revenue streams to pay bills. Andrew Barroway was poised to buy the hockey team and operating rights to the Prudential Center, but withdrew his offer within the past two weeks after getting a closer look at the team’s books.

more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... ng/looming
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/08/08/nh ... ils-report

The cash-strapped New Jersey Devils are on the verge of being sold.

Two suitors are bidding for the team, according to The Bergen Record. One is the ownership group of the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, led by Joshua Harris. The other is a group led by Philadelphia-based attorney Andrew Barroway. The sale could be completed in the coming days and the club will remain in Newark.

News of the imminent sale came shortly after Forbes reported Thursday morning the league would likely fund and operate the franchise if a buyer wasn’t found by next month.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman described the report as “inaccurate.”
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Rumsfeld
CC Legend
Posts: 4171
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:48 pm
Location: Raqqa

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Rumsfeld » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Oh nice, does this mean the Devils get a free ride to the Conference final like the Yotes did a couple years ago? :roll:

Remember when the Devils had their '95 Cup parade in the stadium parking lot? :lol:
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society

User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 8605
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:47 pm

NHL - Avalanche sign 20-yr-old captain Gabriel Landeskog to 7-year extension worth reported $39 million
#Avs sign Gabriel Landeskog to 7-year deal. He's the youngest captain in NHL history, being named 11 days younger than #Pens Crosby
Landeskog's deal ($5.57M AAV) is in the same range as Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner, E. Kane. All earned long-term deals out of entry level.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 15781
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:43 pm

SKYO wrote:NHL - Avalanche sign 20-yr-old captain Gabriel Landeskog to 7-year extension worth reported $39 million
#Avs sign Gabriel Landeskog to 7-year deal. He's the youngest captain in NHL history, being named 11 days younger than #Pens Crosby
Landeskog's deal ($5.57M AAV) is in the same range as Hall, Eberle, Seguin, Skinner, E. Kane. All earned long-term deals out of entry level.
Kadri's agent appreciates the extra ammo. :mrgreen:

Yeah, basically I look at everything from a does-this-fuck-up-the-Leaves perspective.

Haters gonna hate. :thumbs:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 12350
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:32 pm

The Leafs acted like an old school team this off season. They threw a ton of money around for FA and in trades but did not take care of their own FA first.

Some have criticized MG because he has done a very solid job in locking up his own FA, somehow that just doesn't count when assessing his record. But to me he has taken care of his own house first then gone looking for what is out there and what he has left to spend.

Nonis on the other hand is a typical employer. Undervalue the employees you have but be willing to spend a ton more on brining outsiders in. I mean if he brought in solid UFA fine but he ends up buying out one centre, waiting to sign another and is stuck with two keys players left unsigned. Old school management.

We have all had bosses like him. You can't get a decent raise and he gives you all the reasons why you don't deserve it yet he hires someone else and over pays all while still keeping you down. At least GMMG values what he has.
The only HW the Canucks need

User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 15781
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:01 pm

I responded thusly to an Avs fan at HF who said he was worried Landeskog would fail and be a compliance buyout:

How dysfunctional would a team be to sign a player to a long-term contract @ $5.5m

.... only to turn around and buy him out a year later??
:lol:


Yeah, my post was deleted with no explanation, no demerit points or whatever.

It's like I say about HF: Roving bands of Leaf-loving "global mods" deleting posts they don't like.

Well that and hordes of pimply-faced teenyboppers.

Which came first though, the Leaf-bias or the Strangelove? :twisted:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Post Reply