Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:49 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:36 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:36 pm Tyler Bertuzzi awarded a 3.5 million dollar one year deal by the arbitrator. Nice cheap youngish top six guy for Detroit.
Top 6 there, middle 6 Just about anywhere else. But, a fair price for a middle 6 guy with his numbers.
He’s top 3 there. He’d be top 6 here and in a lot of other places. He’s paced over 50 points the last two years and actually plays with a set of balls. Not afraid to muck it up which would be something some folks can’t stand..
I am not sure how he would mesh with Horvat as our match up guy. I honestly haven’t watched enough of his games recently to judge if he would fit.

He could work with Petey (I mean, who doesn’t??) but I would LOVE to have him on our 3rd line. That’s what I meant about ‘middle 6’ here.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 23402
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Vin Tanner »

Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:23 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:49 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:36 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:36 pm Tyler Bertuzzi awarded a 3.5 million dollar one year deal by the arbitrator. Nice cheap youngish top six guy for Detroit.
Top 6 there, middle 6 Just about anywhere else. But, a fair price for a middle 6 guy with his numbers.
He’s top 3 there. He’d be top 6 here and in a lot of other places. He’s paced over 50 points the last two years and actually plays with a set of balls. Not afraid to muck it up which would be something some folks can’t stand..
I am not sure how he would mesh with Horvat as our match up guy. I honestly haven’t watched enough of his games recently to judge if he would fit.

He could work with Petey (I mean, who doesn’t??) but I would LOVE to have him on our 3rd line. That’s what I meant about ‘middle 6’ here.
Well, Pearson is likely gone after another year, so that opens up a spot. I think he plays both sides and he competes harder than Jake. Hell who doesn’t? I get your point though and have echoed the same sentiment that teams need a top 9 now. Look no further than the Cup champs. Depth is key.
“Cap space doesn’t matter” - Idiots

“We need some depth on this team”

Bo Horvat
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2994
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

theman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:42 am Apparently Fattenberg is heading to the KHL. Oh well, good luck to him.
Yeah, I liked Fattenberger: solid defensively, some grit and cheap. It's too bad we don't have the cap space for him and we already have J.Benn under contract for that bottom pairing. Man, couple years ago, Fatenberg & Benn would have easily been in our top 4, better than Hutty, Del Zotto and Pooalots (and I kinda liked Hutty and Del Zotto). Guess this is a sign that our players and depth is getting better. :P
Richardstroker69
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1635
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:14 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Richardstroker69 »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:07 pm
theman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:42 am Apparently Fattenberg is heading to the KHL. Oh well, good luck to him.
Yeah, I liked Fattenberger: solid defensively, some grit and cheap. It's too bad we don't have the cap space for him and we already have J.Benn under contract for that bottom pairing. Man, couple years ago, Fatenberg & Benn would have easily been in our top 4, better than Hutty, Del Zotto and Pooalots (and I kinda liked Hutty and Del Zotto). Guess this is a sign that our players and depth is getting better. :P
If he was a righty I’d agree, but I think there are better cheap options available in free agency for a bottom pairing rhd. I think we’ll see a rhd signed after ferland is ltired. Or maybe Travis is now sold on letting benn play the right side after he looked good in the playoffs on the right side. I keep thinking back to benn 2 years ago in montreal when he was filling in nicely in the top 4 on the right side, I don’t understand why Travis is so against a dman playing on his off side if they’ve shown their better playing that position.
User avatar
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5121
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:54 am
Location: Saskatoon, Sk.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 pm
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:07 pm
theman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:42 am Apparently Fattenberg is heading to the KHL. Oh well, good luck to him.
Yeah, I liked Fattenberger: solid defensively, some grit and cheap. It's too bad we don't have the cap space for him and we already have J.Benn under contract for that bottom pairing. Man, couple years ago, Fatenberg & Benn would have easily been in our top 4, better than Hutty, Del Zotto and Pooalots (and I kinda liked Hutty and Del Zotto). Guess this is a sign that our players and depth is getting better. :P
I don’t understand why Travis is so against a dman playing on his off side if they’ve shown their better playing that position.
From what I have read, it’s a fancy stat thing about handiness and sides. All percentages
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 16400
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:02 pm I think this so-called Bold Move that Gillis is apparently suppose to do ( but I highly doubt it, Gillis is more conservative boring than a Scottish Jew) this bold move should be focused on Jamie Benn. The Stars and Benn seemingly can't get a deal done, Gillis should snap out of his slumber and open up the fucking cupboards. I don't care what we give up to get Benn, give the stars everything not named the Sedins. It's about fucking time we get a good BC Born and raised player here.

I think what Gillis should do though, is send Luongo and Raymond to Florida for Kulikov and send Edler and Schroeder to the Panthers for Couturier and then send Kesler our '13 first round pick to Dallas for Benn. Done Deal. Then change our name to the Vancouver Giants -

Benn
Kassian
Couturier
Gaunce
Jensen

Hell ya!
:wow:
If you need air...call it in
User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 5860
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Carl Yagro »

So Yoodles, are you presenting evidence that because Bold Moves Gillis wasn't bold enough with the bold moves, it caused the Dude to eventually snap and go on the Gilly Crazy Train?

(sadly, from which he never recovered)

Schroeder, Hodgson -> Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce... oh, fuck. All aboard.
Focus on the NOW
User avatar
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2994
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:14 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 pm If he was a righty I’d agree, but I think there are better cheap options available in free agency for a bottom pairing rhd. I think we’ll see a rhd signed after ferland is ltired.
Yeah Maybe.

14 Bottom pairing D-men Still Available:
https://canucksarmy.com/2020/10/27/14-b ... r-canucks/

Hamonic is still my top choice if JB can find a way to shed some salary. Someone brought up Jan Ruuta b4, he would be a nice backup plan and cheap.
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 pm I keep thinking back to benn 2 years ago in montreal when he was filling in nicely in the top 4 on the right side, I don’t understand why Travis is so against a dman playing on his off side if they’ve shown their better playing that position.
I think it's easier for a D-man to make a good play on their strong side, both in offensive and defensive zones. I also believe when a D-man is on their strong side, it's easier to defend by intercepting passes and keeping the puck in the offensive zone when the other team is trying to clear. Burkie actually had a rant about it when we were playing Vegas as they only have 1 RS D; he said the Nucks were never able to establish a forecheck to pressure their weak side D into bad plays/mistakes.

The only times I can think of it being beneficial for a D-man to play on their off-side is if he has a good shot, so he can one-time a slap shot or if he's uber skilled with hands and skating and can cut into the middle for a high percentage shot. When I think of Benn, I don't think of him as brining the O. *hehe*

If u r bored. :P

User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 17256
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Dichmond, B.C.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Micky »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:11 am
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 pm If he was a righty I’d agree, but I think there are better cheap options available in free agency for a bottom pairing rhd. I think we’ll see a rhd signed after ferland is ltired.
Yeah Maybe.

14 Bottom pairing D-men Still Available:
https://canucksarmy.com/2020/10/27/14-b ... r-canucks/

Hamonic is still my top choice if JB can find a way to shed some salary. Someone brought up Jan Ruuta b4, he would be a nice backup plan and cheap.
Richardstroker69 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:46 pm I keep thinking back to benn 2 years ago in montreal when he was filling in nicely in the top 4 on the right side, I don’t understand why Travis is so against a dman playing on his off side if they’ve shown their better playing that position.
Why not Slater Koekkoek? Still pretty young. I think Green might like what " he can bring " when called for and could play bigger minutes when needed. A little hyper maybe but we have great leadership on this team so, WTH. Sure would like to see a little more toughness on the back end. Myers can do it but he gets called for just about everything. Nate Schmidt will be a great addition but still need some sand paper.
"evolution"
User avatar
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP
Posts: 16400
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Carl Yagro wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:18 pm So Yoodles, are you presenting evidence that because Bold Moves Gillis wasn't bold enough with the bold moves, it caused the Dude to eventually snap and go on the Gilly Crazy Train?

(sadly, from which he never recovered)

Schroeder, Hodgson -> Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce... oh, fuck. All aboard.
Its on page 1 of this thread. I banana thumbed to what I thought was the latest post but ended up there instead....luckily

Benn, love for BC players, etc....so much more entertaining that the Micky107 dogpile

So that 2013 1st rd pick would've been Shrunkcarrot not Horvat for Benn I can assume....right Dude?
If you need air...call it in
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP
Posts: 21525
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:39 pm
Chef Boi RD wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:02 pm I think this so-called Bold Move that Gillis is apparently suppose to do ( but I highly doubt it, Gillis is more conservative boring than a Scottish Jew) this bold move should be focused on Jamie Benn. The Stars and Benn seemingly can't get a deal done, Gillis should snap out of his slumber and open up the fucking cupboards. I don't care what we give up to get Benn, give the stars everything not named the Sedins. It's about fucking time we get a good BC Born and raised player here.

I think what Gillis should do though, is send Luongo and Raymond to Florida for Kulikov and send Edler and Schroeder to the Panthers for Couturier and then send Kesler our '13 first round pick to Dallas for Benn. Done Deal. Then change our name to the Vancouver Giants -

Benn
Kassian
Couturier
Gaunce
Jensen

Hell ya!
:wow:
What a great string of trade suggestions. SKYO If you want to run with the Dawgs you best learn how to bark like ole classic Chef in his hey day
“Benning should fired for not drafting Jack Wise” - Doyle Hargraves
User avatar
Tciso
MVP
MVP
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso »

5thhorseman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:00 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am
Meds wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:41 am Arizona draft pick Mitchell Miller is about to be crucified in the media for being an asshole when he was in grade 9.

Is a shame that the press doesn’t know the meaning of the word discretion.
Yep - sounds like a typical jock-asshole in school (4 years ago). Seems like he's tried to correct for his past, but of course we'll never know. For now, give the kid a chance to prove that he's grown up.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/26/coyotes-p ... classmate/
A grown up in his position would go meet the kid he bullied and apologise in person. If he does that then nobody can say squat about it.
As Dave Chappelle says, you have to leave a little room for redemption.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 31890
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:13 pm
Location: Lake Vostok

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Strangelove »

:D
The Brown Wizard wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:39 pm :wow:
Twas classic Dude Sarcasm right there...
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!
User avatar
mr perfect
MVP
MVP
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: perfectville

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by mr perfect »

Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am
Meds wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:41 am Arizona draft pick Mitchell Miller is about to be crucified in the media for being an asshole when he was in grade 9.

Is a shame that the press doesn’t know the meaning of the word discretion.
Yep - sounds like a typical jock-asshole in school (4 years ago). Seems like he's tried to correct for his past, but of course we'll never know. For now, give the kid a chance to prove that he's grown up.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/26/coyotes-p ... classmate/
Found this out on the world wide web:

https://cqrcengage.com/cfchildren/app/d ... 13312880?0

Also JD Burke from Elite Prospect's take on MM, for what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/JDylanBurke/status/ ... 2615796737

The victim's mother has said Miller had been bullying her son since they were seven years old and only two years ago was still making racist comments about her son. The judge also insinuated that there have been more kids Miller has bullied. Doesn't sound like the kid, his parents or his agent have accepted accountability or done enough to show they really are reforming. Of course, if the kid does ever dress in an NHL uniform be it just for an exhibition game, perhaps it should be against Vegas and have him on the ice when Ryan Reeves is out there.
Maybe his parents should partake in an old timers game with Georges Laraque and Donald Brashear dressing for the old timers.
User avatar
Vin Tanner
MVP
MVP
Posts: 23402
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Vin Tanner »

mr perfect wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 pm
Cornuck wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:56 am
Meds wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:41 am Arizona draft pick Mitchell Miller is about to be crucified in the media for being an asshole when he was in grade 9.

Is a shame that the press doesn’t know the meaning of the word discretion.
Yep - sounds like a typical jock-asshole in school (4 years ago). Seems like he's tried to correct for his past, but of course we'll never know. For now, give the kid a chance to prove that he's grown up.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/26/coyotes-p ... classmate/
Found this out on the world wide web:

https://cqrcengage.com/cfchildren/app/d ... 13312880?0

Also JD Burke from Elite Prospect's take on MM, for what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/JDylanBurke/status/ ... 2615796737

The victim's mother has said Miller had been bullying her son since they were seven years old and only two years ago was still making racist comments about her son. The judge also insinuated that there have been more kids Miller has bullied. Doesn't sound like the kid, his parents or his agent have accepted accountability or done enough to show they really are reforming. Of course, if the kid does ever dress in an NHL uniform be it just for an exhibition game, perhaps it should be against Vegas and have him on the ice when Ryan Reeves is out there.
Maybe his parents should partake in an old timers game with Georges Laraque and Donald Brashear dressing for the old timers.
Thanks Mr P. I listened to the morons on the TEAM this morning for a bit and they had a guy on this am who was pretty plugged into this story and wrote an article about it for the Athletic. He also mentioned the systemic bullying this kid had carried on for years. He wasn’t remorseful and laughed at the school administrators when they laid out his punishment. So now he wants to make it right. I don’t care, he’s a piece of shit and I’m glad the team I cheer for didn’t draft this douche regardless of how good he is.

Imagine if that is your kid getting abused like that. This kid is a garbage human being until he proves he isn’t. And this is from a guy who walked the line pretty closely and has seen a few hazing/initiation incidents as I’m sure we all have. We all need to step up and bootfuck the bullies. No place for this bullshit anymore.
“Cap space doesn’t matter” - Idiots

“We need some depth on this team”

Bo Horvat
Post Reply