Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tiger »

SKYO wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Higgins is a third-liner. That's where he excels: checking and along the boards. He doesn't have the hands, the dishing ability or the shot to cut it up there and he's not getting any younger.

If Higgins is on your second line and you're healthy you're a pretty shallow team up front. I like Hansen and him flanking whoever centers the third line though.
Well we are a shallow team up front lol.

But it sounds like Torts wants Kass with the twins right off the bat and then re-unite Burr with RK full time, so yeah Higgins and Booth will fight it out for 2nd/3rd line LW duties.

So we get 2 decent scoring lines if Booth gels with Kes and burrows... plus Sedin sedin and Kassian.. only problem is the Sedin line will be weak defensively.. See if Torts can get the twins playing well defensively and Kassian learns that part of the game..
Higgins Hansen and the midget on the 3rd line ? might work though I am not sold on Schroeder...
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Creamed Brule.

*runs sideways into creeper's Bar and Grill*
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Well four months ago the Great Strangelove predicted:

"Gagner is prolly gonna demand $6mil after the way the Coil jerked him around last summer."

The arbitration hearing is tomorrow and Sammy is apparently seeking $5.5mil:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... rbitration

Is the Great Strangelove the only one who saw that one coming?

The Coil have backed themselves into a corner here, Gagner can become a UFA at age 24 next summer.

If they wanna buy some of those UFA years, they're gonna hafta... finally... pay up.

They had an excellent chance to do that last summer but forced Gagner into a 1-year $3.2mil deal.

Well as the old saying goes "Payback is a bitch mofos". :mex:

As the Great Strangelove said exactly one year + one day ago:

"I don't get why the Oil is dicking around with a guy like Gagner. This kid is going to be a big star. An Einstein on ice. Shoulda wrapped him up long-term on @ $4mil+ per imo."

The Great Strangelove also suggested offer-sheeting Gagner last summer @ $5mil X 4 years.

An over-payment yes, but hey that's how offer-sheets work.

At the very least you force a division rival to overpay one of their up-n-coming stars.

The Great Strangelove figured Gagner could've been the 2nd line centre while Kesler was out.

And then slid over to the wing on a Booth-Kesler-Gagner line.

The Great Strangelove figured a playmaker like Sam would have been just what the doctor ordered for those two.

Oh well.

Anyhoo, glad to see the wedge being driven between Gagner and the Oilers.

Sure hope he walks away next summer....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SL didn't figure that extra $5mil and a shrunken cap.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:SL didn't figure that extra $5mil and a shrunken cap.
Could have made it work by not extending Higgins or by trading Burrows a few weeks ago.

At any rate, the Oilers have hooped themselves and that's a GOOD thing!

(unless you're RD) :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:Well four months ago the Great Strangelove predicted:

"Gagner is prolly gonna demand $6mil after the way the Coil jerked him around last summer."

The arbitration hearing is tomorrow and Sammy is apparently seeking $5.5mil:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-o ... rbitration

Is the Great Strangelove the only one who saw that one coming?

The Coil have backed themselves into a corner here, Gagner can become a UFA at age 24 next summer.

If they wanna buy some of those UFA years, they're gonna hafta... finally... pay up.

They had an excellent chance to do that last summer but forced Gagner into a 1-year $3.2mil deal.

Well as the old saying goes "Payback is a bitch mofos". :mex:

As the Great Strangelove said exactly one year + one day ago:

"I don't get why the Oil is dicking around with a guy like Gagner. This kid is going to be a big star. An Einstein on ice. Shoulda wrapped him up long-term on @ $4mil+ per imo."

The Great Strangelove also suggested offer-sheeting Gagner last summer @ $5mil X 4 years.

An over-payment yes, but hey that's how offer-sheets work.

At the very least you force a division rival to overpay one of their up-n-coming stars.

The Great Strangelove figured Gagner could've been the 2nd line centre while Kesler was out.

And then slid over to the wing on a Booth-Kesler-Gagner line.

The Great Strangelove figured a playmaker like Sam would have been just what the doctor ordered for those two.

Oh well.

Anyhoo, glad to see the wedge being driven between Gagner and the Oilers.

Sure hope he walks away next summer....
Gagner is likely gone next summer - the Oil have to re-sign RNH, both Schultzes, 2 goalies, sign 4 or 5 other dmen and a few more forwards next year, and Katz is known to be a penny pincher. I don't see Gagner staying there.

I'd take him on the Nucks and I'm sure his dad would be a big influence to get him to Van, though he would be an expensive pickup.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Signed 3 years 4.8 per year. Thats Booth money, sort of.
The only HW the Canucks need
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

herb wrote:Yes it does. Too bad there wasn’t cap space and a vet like Demitra available.
Let's not go digging up the past.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Diehard1 wrote:
Gagner is likely gone next summer - the Oil have to re-sign RNH, both Schultzes, 2 goalies, sign 4 or 5 other dmen and a few more forwards next year, and Katz is known to be a penny pincher. I don't see Gagner staying there.

I'd take him on the Nucks and I'm sure his dad would be a big influence to get him to Van, though he would be an expensive pickup.
Gagner signs with Oilers for 3 years/14.4 mil.

And apparently an NMC for the last 2 years of the contract.

Which, incredibly, leaves the Oilers just $1.35 million from the cap floor for this year with a full roster, and set the Oilers up with just 9 players under contract for next!
Last edited by ESQ on Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Hockey Widow wrote:Signed 3 years 4.8 per year. Thats Booth money, sort of.
For a 23 year old with Hank Sedin stats :(.. Oil are doing better than MG.. at resigning ..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tiger wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:Signed 3 years 4.8 per year. Thats Booth money, sort of.
For a 23 year old with Hank Sedin stats :(.. Oil are doing better than MG.. at resigning ..
Gagner is a RFA, not an UFA. Can you imagine how much he would make as an UFA? I would bet somewhere around $6-$7m.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

This is a great deal for Edmonton considering that they've bought two years of UFA from him.

Something i always consider when looking at these last RFA deals for a team/player.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Tiger wrote: For a 23 year old with Hank Sedin stats :(.. Oil are doing better than MG.. at resigning ..
Wait, what? Henrik Sedin stats? Do you mean Henrik at age 23?

More like a 23 year old with Alex Burrows stats, though fewer goals. And more injuries.

There must be some sort of salary structure in mind in Edmonton, but I fail to see it. The point of getting high draft picks is cheap contracts with high production, not high salary for decent production. There's no sign of the defence improving, and no goaltenders under contract past next year.

Oh, and the Schultzes are due new contracts next year as well.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

ESQ wrote:
Tiger wrote: For a 23 year old with Hank Sedin stats :(.. Oil are doing better than MG.. at resigning ..
Wait, what? Henrik Sedin stats? Do you mean Henrik at age 23?

More like a 23 year old with Alex Burrows stats, though fewer goals. And more injuries.

There must be some sort of salary structure in mind in Edmonton, but I fail to see it. The point of getting high draft picks is cheap contracts with high production, not high salary for decent production. There's no sign of the defence improving, and no goaltenders under contract past next year.

Oh, and the Schultzes are due new contracts next year as well.
Players that the Oilers need to re-sign or replace next season:

Hemsky ($5m)
Nugent-Hopkins ($3.775m)
Smyth ($2.25m)
Schultzes ($3.775m and $3.5m)
Petry ($1.75m)
Grebeshkov ($1.5m)
Dubnyk ($3.5m)

A total of $25.05m cap hit for these 7 players. Nugent-Hopkins and the Schultzes will probably cost the Oilers $15m.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Jovocop wrote: Players that the Oilers need to re-sign or replace next season:

Hemsky ($5m)
Nugent-Hopkins ($3.775m)
Smyth ($2.25m)
Schultzes ($3.775m and $3.5m)
Petry ($1.75m)
Grebeshkov ($1.5m)
Dubnyk ($3.5m)

A total of $25.05m cap hit for these 7 players. Nugent-Hopkins and the Schultzes will probably cost the Oilers $15m.
just another team with a good, but over-paid top 6, and crap for depth. But, most teams get to mediocrity a lot faster than the Oilers did
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!