Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7865
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:51 pm
SKYO wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:42 pm Franky Seravalli talking about royaldude's fave player. ayee
Sounds like #Oilers have made progress in talks to bring Jesse Puljujarvi back into the fold.

Discussion still mostly centered on the hockey 'fit' part of it, but my guess if/when he returns is that it's eventually on a one-year deal in the $1.2-$1.5 million range.
I would probably be willing to part with Jake Virtanen in return for big Jess.

Straight one for one swap.
Seems a few of those Finnish youngsters from the WJC gold medal team are having trouble fit into the NHL. Laine, decent scorer, but seems to be a difficult teammate. JP, just hasn't lived up to the hype. Juolevi, injuries, and unable to really meet early expectations.
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso »

Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:51 pm
I would probably be willing to part with Jake Virtanen in return for big Jess.

Straight one for one swap.
Too steep a price. Jake might be topped out right now, which is fine. But PoolParty might never ever play in the 'Chel again. Baertschi and a 5th for the Pool Boy.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13543
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Micky »

Tciso wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 am
Megaterio Llamas wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:51 pm
I would probably be willing to part with Jake Virtanen in return for big Jess.

Straight one for one swap.
Too steep a price. Jake might be topped out right now, which is fine. But PoolParty might never ever play in the 'Chel again. Baertschi and a 5th for the Pool Boy.
Not Jake but maybe Josh Lievo who also needs a contract. Risk for risk.
"evolution"
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19838
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Leivo is a UFA. Anyone can sign him in eight days. He has no trade value.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
JelloPuddingPop
CC Veteran
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Google isn't helping me here - someone's Google-Foo better than mine?

WTF is a "compensation" injury?

Wasn't he hurt at work anyway???
ESQ
MVP
MVP
Posts: 3083
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by ESQ »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:57 pm Google isn't helping me here - someone's Google-Foo better than mine?

WTF is a "compensation" injury?

Wasn't he hurt at work anyway???
Because of the original injury, he compensated for the weakness in that recovering muscle by over-using other muscles in a funny way. Its like if you're not strong in your quads, you strain your back by bending over more than crouching down to pick something up. But with these athletes - particularly hockey players, who's sport movement is so unnatural and against so many mechanical aspects of the human body - the power they use can really muck things up if they're compensating.
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19838
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

It’s like the Chef. He is stuck with razor thin bird legs and he compensates by crow hopping on his twigs instead of walking or running like most folks. This in turn puts pressure on his even tinier ankles but the whole ensemble is thrown off by his massive gunt. At the end of the day he compensated by drinking more booze and smoking more rock.
Last edited by Doyle Hargraves on Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
JelloPuddingPop
CC Veteran
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

ESQ wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:12 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:57 pm Google isn't helping me here - someone's Google-Foo better than mine?

WTF is a "compensation" injury?

Wasn't he hurt at work anyway???
Because of the original injury, he compensated for the weakness in that recovering muscle by over-using other muscles in a funny way. Its like if you're not strong in your quads, you strain your back by bending over more than crouching down to pick something up. But with these athletes - particularly hockey players, who's sport movement is so unnatural and against so many mechanical aspects of the human body - the power they use can really muck things up if they're compensating.
Makes sense, so not necessarily his hernia/groin issue again - more so an irritation/injury caused by over-use of a adjacent muscle. Thanks!
User avatar
JelloPuddingPop
CC Veteran
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by JelloPuddingPop »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:19 pm It’s like the Chef. He is stuck with razor thin bird legs and he compensates by crow hopping on his twigs instead of walking or running like most folks. This in turn puts pressure on his even tinier ankles but the whole ensemble is thrown off by his massive gunt. At the end of the day he compensated by drinking more booze and doming more rock.
Huh. That's quite a picture
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 19838
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:21 pm
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:19 pm It’s like the Chef. He is stuck with razor thin bird legs and he compensates by crow hopping on his twigs instead of walking or running like most folks. This in turn puts pressure on his even tinier ankles but the whole ensemble is thrown off by his massive gunt. At the end of the day he compensated by drinking more booze and doming more rock.
Huh. That's quite a picture
Oh it’s a scene man...
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Chef Boi RD
CC Legend
Posts: 18956
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Vancouver

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Chef Boi RD »

JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:20 pm
ESQ wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:12 pm
JelloPuddingPop wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:57 pm Google isn't helping me here - someone's Google-Foo better than mine?

WTF is a "compensation" injury?

Wasn't he hurt at work anyway???
Because of the original injury, he compensated for the weakness in that recovering muscle by over-using other muscles in a funny way. Its like if you're not strong in your quads, you strain your back by bending over more than crouching down to pick something up. But with these athletes - particularly hockey players, who's sport movement is so unnatural and against so many mechanical aspects of the human body - the power they use can really muck things up if they're compensating.
Makes sense, so not necessarily his hernia/groin issue again - more so an irritation/injury caused by over-use of a adjacent muscle. Thanks!
When Doyle was a young lad he blamed all his poor decisions on his friends. When in fact Doyle was the ring leader
DOYLE WOULD’VE RATHER HAD KEVIN HAYES AT 7 YEARS 7 MILLION PER INSTEAD OF J.T. MILLER FOR A LATE 1ST RD PICK
User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4938
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Carl Yagro »

Meds wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 pm Seems a few of those Finnish youngsters from the WJC gold medal team are having trouble fit into the NHL. Laine, decent scorer, but seems to be a difficult teammate. JP, just hasn't lived up to the hype. Juolevi, injuries, and unable to really meet early expectations.
But Aho is an absolute gem.
Try to focus on THIS year...
User avatar
Meds
CC Legend
Posts: 7865
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Meds »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:24 pm
Meds wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 pm Seems a few of those Finnish youngsters from the WJC gold medal team are having trouble fit into the NHL. Laine, decent scorer, but seems to be a difficult teammate. JP, just hasn't lived up to the hype. Juolevi, injuries, and unable to really meet early expectations.
But Aho is an absolute gem.
So was Selanne.

There are always gems. I'm just generalizing.
User avatar
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP
Posts: 4938
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: On wide shoulders...

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Carl Yagro »

Meds wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:29 pm
Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:24 pm
Meds wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:31 pm Seems a few of those Finnish youngsters from the WJC gold medal team are having trouble fit into the NHL. Laine, decent scorer, but seems to be a difficult teammate. JP, just hasn't lived up to the hype. Juolevi, injuries, and unable to really meet early expectations.
But Aho is an absolute gem.
So was Selanne.

There are always gems. I'm just generalizing.
Yeah, I know. I meant Aho was a gem out of that WJC team. The others have turned out to be less so.

TBH, I thought jesse puljujarvi was going to be the best of that bunch. I'm no talent evaluator :lol:
Try to focus on THIS year...
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 12088
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Carl Yagro wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:24 pmI'm no talent evaluator :lol:
I've yet to see any one of us that is!
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
Post Reply