Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Micky
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Micky »

Topper wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 am
Rick Bowness, new head coach in big D.

Montgomery fired for conduct.
I'm guessing this was unexpected !

https://twitter.com/MDeFranks/status/12 ... 2707576832
"evolution"

UWSaint
MVP
MVP

Post by UWSaint »

Chef Boi RD wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:13 pm
“I’m still picking Dahlin over Quinn Hughes” - Doyle
Me too, Chef.

I love what Hughes can do. Great pick. He has everything that was advertised and has improved his shot and gap control. Some might say genius pick; some might say no brainer. But there were a few out there who were very suspicious of QH's size and saw that as a risk while there were a few lower-floor players still on the board.

I would still take Dahlin because I just think that Dahlin has a greater likelihood of achieving true #1 status -- a minute eating, all situations #1. To be sure, neither have played much shorthanded, both are not yet regularly being "matched up" intentionally against other teams' stars. So it takes some projection.

The changes in perception (Hughes on the rise, Dahlin on the decline) are more due to how closely each player is to their expectations than actual performance or a change in the ceiling height. Hughes has fulfilled all rosy expectations; Dahlin has fulfilled reasonable ones. Dahlin's projection on draft day was repeat Norris-winner; Hughes' was elite offensive defensemen. I don't think the fundamental fact has changed that Dahlin has all the tools and Hughes doesn't. Hughes might use some tools better today (which is why he's doing so well), but I think there remains reasonable skepticism that he can add the ones he lacks. Dahlin might not develop some tools as well as projections (e.g, he's big, but doesn't use that to his full advantage yet). But nothing indicates to me that it isn't reasonable to think he will.

Dahlin reminds me of Hedman. Both entered the draft as NHL-ready, all-tools, best-defensive-prospect-in-a-long-while guys. Hedman didn't take off right away -- but he belonged in the league. And he worked himself up as a bottom pairing guy, then a top 4 guy, then a top pair, then to one of the league's best. And the funny thing is, as this was happening, the perception of Hedman went from crazy hype to minor disappointment -- all while he was methodically improving his game and increasing his confidence and coming darn close to that ceiling. He has, in my view, fulfilled the hype and -- setting aside a Norris.... -- no one seems to notice how great he is.

Dahlin didn't take the league by storm last year, but he was quite good, improved as the season went along, and seemed poised beyond his years. It was a rookie campaign far superior to Hedman's.

I would like to be wrong in my prediction -- not because I want to see Dahlin fail -- but because Hughes turns into someone as good when the other team has the puck as he is when he or his team has the puck. And because Hughes gets even better without the puck.
Hono_rary Canadian

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

Good post UW. I mean I love Hughes as a player, but if you made me pick I’d pick Dahlin. No idea why certain folks get their backs up about it. Hell you could could make a case for Makar or Heiskenan. All four are excellent young defenders.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Interesting how hush-hush this is, the guy always seemed a little weird to me. Image
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

That said getting a player of Quinn Hughes ilk at seventh overall is pretty fucking good, considering the lack of the Canucks luck at the lotto since 1970.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:51 pm
Topper wrote:
Interesting how hush-hush this is, the guy always seemed a little weird to me. Image
The entire www is trying to figure out what he did, could be a type of sexual assault to a Stars employee behind the scenes - but who knows.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 pm
The entire www is trying to figure out what he did, could be a type of sexual assault to a Stars employee behind the scenes - but who knows.
I don't think it's that, but we shouldn't speculate too much.

It'll come out eventually, it's gotta be something perverse though, I mean look at him. :)
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:51 pm
Topper wrote:
Didn’t they say it wasn’t criminal though? I can’t see them sweeping something like that under the rug. If I had to guess I’d say maybe it’s a substance or behavioural issue.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

https://twitter.com/winsford99/status/1 ... 4389824514
Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99

From what I hear about the Montgomery firing, he merely did something that, in a broader sense, many of us have done. It was not illegal, just a lapse in judgment. I’m not free to be more specific right now but you’ll see what I mean when it comes out.

1:46 PM - 11 Dec 2019
https://twitter.com/winsford99/status/1 ... 2370900992
Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99

To my mind, the reaction was over the top. It should have been resolved with some grovelling and verbal self-flagellation. Many coaches have done much worse but this is what the world has come to.

2:06 PM - 11 Dec 2019
https://twitter.com/winsford99/status/1 ... 3480857601
Alan Strachan
‏@winsford99

Your pronouns are a bit ambiguous but if you’re suggesting that I have done it, yes I have.
That's right... Al Strachan is still alive!! :wow:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Strangelove wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:00 pm
SKYO wrote:

It'll come out eventually, it's gotta be something perverse though, I mean look at him :)
Oh ya. He had his sausage out and into something for sure.
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...

Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm
That said getting a player of Quinn Hughes ilk at seventh overall is pretty fucking good, considering the lack of the Canucks luck at the lotto since 1970.
I totally agree.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Sharks just cleared house. Bad hockey claimed the staff.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Guessing Monty did the full Monty in front of a cocktail waitress.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:03 pm
Sharks just cleared house. Bad hockey claimed the staff.
Cripes! How many coaches fired this year... are we approaching a record? :drink:
____
GO CANUCKS GO!!!

SKYO
CC Legend

Post by SKYO »

The Brown Wizard wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:48 pm
Strangelove wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:00 pm
SKYO wrote:

It'll come out eventually, it's gotta be something perverse though, I mean look at him :)
Oh ya. He had his sausage out and into something for sure.
:lol: :lol:

Doyle Hargraves wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:49 pm
SKYO wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:55 pm
I totally agree.
Dec. 11th, doyle agree's. :o