Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

User avatar
UWSaint
MVP
MVP
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by UWSaint »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:52 am Not sure what other chip Burke was using to get the Hawks to play ball. Ohlund? Jovanovski? Very doubtful there. Aucoin, though a good D man wasn’t getting it done. The Hawks loved McCabe.
How do you think Jovo, Ohlund, and McCabe were valued at the time? McCabe the best? These were three defensemen who arguably had more to grown into who were all seen as big D with offensive potential. All three might have been seen as potential #1 D men, though none were shoe ins.

Or are you saying the Canucks valued Ohlund and Jovo too great to part with for the Sedins. If so, I disagree with that. I think any of them would have been moved in the transactions to get the twins.
Hono_rary Canadian
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20612
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

You could be right. I think Ohlund was the best of the three. Jovo was the recent acquisition of Burke in the Bure deal. I rated them Ohlund, Jovo then McCabe but there wasn’t a hell of a lot of separation between any of them imho.

Either way all three were essentially top pairing D men the balance of their careers. We had a luxury of having three of them, all young, on the club at the same time. My reason for liking the Linden trade so much is the windfall it produced after it acquired a top line winger, a top pairing D man and an effective bottom six forward- all for what was a middle six forward at the time in Linden.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Topper
CC Legend
Posts: 12300
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Earth, most days.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Topper »

Canes practice today.
Image
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20612
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

I don’t blame future shoe in for the HHOF Joe Thornton for poking Mrazek in the yap. That was great. Thornton is hilarious :lol:
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13141
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am I don’t blame future shoe in for the HHOF Joe Thornton for poking Mrazek in the yap. That was great. Thornton is hilarious :lol:
He doesn't belong in there but then again....Carbo got in so maybe anyone who plays 1k games gets in now
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20612
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:26 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am I don’t blame future shoe in for the HHOF Joe Thornton for poking Mrazek in the yap. That was great. Thornton is hilarious :lol:
He doesn't belong in there but then again....Carbo got in so maybe anyone who plays 1k games gets in now
Lol if he doesn’t belong there the twins don’t either.
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
The Brown Wizard
MVP
MVP
Posts: 13141
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: in the shed with a fresh packed bowl

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by The Brown Wizard »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:32 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:26 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am I don’t blame future shoe in for the HHOF Joe Thornton for poking Mrazek in the yap. That was great. Thornton is hilarious :lol:
He doesn't belong in there but then again....Carbo got in so maybe anyone who plays 1k games gets in now
Lol if he doesn’t belong there the twins don’t either.
Exactly. They dont belong there either.

It should be reserved for the best of the best. Not the pretty good
Witchcraft... Oh, but it IS. A dark and terrible magic...
User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
MVP
MVP
Posts: 20612
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Doyle Hargraves »

The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:40 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:32 am
The Brown Wizard wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:26 am
Doyle Hargraves wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am I don’t blame future shoe in for the HHOF Joe Thornton for poking Mrazek in the yap. That was great. Thornton is hilarious :lol:
He doesn't belong in there but then again....Carbo got in so maybe anyone who plays 1k games gets in now
Lol if he doesn’t belong there the twins don’t either.
Exactly. They dont belong there either.

It should be reserved for the best of the best. Not the pretty good
Then they should kick out 50 % of the players starting with Clark Gillies, Mark Recchi and Dave Andreychuck
“Gohmert and Bumpty sitting in a tree”
User avatar
Tciso
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 2161
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:44 am

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Tciso »

Doyle Hargraves wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:55 am
Tciso wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 am
Per wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 pm
Madcombinepilot wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:30 pm I wonder if I could handle the PTSD for the 10's of millions I made playing a sport....
If you could, it’s not really PTSD... :roll:

That being said, Franzén’s problems mainly stem from the repeated concussions, but having a coach that was bullying him for not playing as good when injured as he did when healthy probably didn’t help much.
That sounds a lot like Keenan's handling of both Linden and Gelinas when he was our head honcho. Drove both out for not playing 100% when coming back from injuries.
I still can’t believe the bounty Iron Mike extracted from Mike Milbury for the overrated Trevor Linden. Best trade in franchise history.

Much like what Milbury did to a fan back in the day, Iron Mike ripped Milbury’s shoe off his earthpad and beat him senseless.
I don't disagree, but Keenan was as much of a dick as any GM or coach we have ever had.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16138
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

Makar hurt tonight. Day to day. Could the door open for Hughes?
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
vic
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1087
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by vic »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm Makar hurt tonight. Day to day. Could the door open for Hughes?
Would suck to win it that way - much like how Barzal took it home once Boeser went down.

And it was a hit from Marchand to boot -
User avatar
Hockey Widow
CC Legend
Posts: 16138
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Hockey Widow »

vic wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:10 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm Makar hurt tonight. Day to day. Could the door open for Hughes?
Would suck to win it that way - much like how Barzal took it home once Boeser went down.

And it was a hit from Marchand to boot -
Barzal was, in his own right, a worthy winner. Had Brock not been hurt it would have made it a lot more interesting and for sure. It would have been close, who knows but Barzal was deserving.

Same thing this year. Hughes is appearing worthy in his own right.
The only HW the Canucks need
User avatar
SKYO
CC Legend
Posts: 12069
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:34 pm

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:55 am
vic wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:10 pm
Hockey Widow wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm Makar hurt tonight. Day to day. Could the door open for Hughes?
Would suck to win it that way - much like how Barzal took it home once Boeser went down.

And it was a hit from Marchand to boot -
Barzal was, in his own right, a worthy winner. Had Brock not been hurt it would have made it a lot more interesting and for sure. It would have been close, who knows but Barzal was deserving.

Same thing this year. Hughes is appearing worthy in his own right.
Fuck em - I'd rather a Cup.
A long time ago, a baseball player remarked: "If I owned a ballclub, I'd hire a $5,000 coach and a $15,000 scout."
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14346
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Micky »

NHL Player Safety
Ottawa’s Brady Tkachuk has been fined $2,486.56, the maximum allowable under the CBA, for Cross-checking Philadelphia’s Scott Laughton.
4:49 PM · Dec 7, 2019
Tkachuk got 2min for cross-checking and 2 min for roughing with less than 30 seconds to go.
Scott Laughton/ Brady Tkachuk beef concludes with Laughton chirping Tkachuk after scoring GWG and then Tkachuk jumping Laughton late in the game
https://twitter.com/BradyTrett/status/1 ... 1864649728
12:48 PM - Dec 7, 2019
"evolution"
User avatar
Micky
MVP
MVP
Posts: 14346
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:27 am
Location: Richmond, B.C.

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by Micky »

.
Unfortunate for Makar but I think a fluke. This could happen to anyone any game.

"evolution"
Post Reply