Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Around the league (signings, RFAs injuries)

Post by BladesofSteel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Surprised BigTuna hasn't been in here posting this...
Can you really blame him?

Leaf Nation = :bang:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Surprised BigTuna hasn't been in here posting this... but the leaves sign Phaneuf for 7 years and $49M. The Laufs didn't have much choice, couldn't let him go for nothing, and selling him at the deadline wouldn't play well with the faithful... but damn, that seems like a lot for Phaneuf. He becomes the 5th highest cap-hit for d-men next season.
Is it too much when the cap goes up $6M next season and who knows what the following season?
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Its to much for the player period even if you can squeak it in under the cap or not
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Not a bad signing me thinks. I thought he'd get $5.5-$6M, some ppl thought he'd getz $8M+ in the openz marketz. He signz right in middle @ $7M, bit of a hometown discount I guess. :lol:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Reefer2 wrote: Is it too much when the cap goes up $6M next season and who knows what the following season?
I just don't think Phaneuf is a guy to build your franchise around. I think he's a valuable player, but not a minute-crushing all-round, franchise No.1. I think he's more Edler than Chara/Weber.
Art Vandelay
CC Veteran

Post by Art Vandelay »

Too much money for a guy who likely isn't a top 20 defenceman. He is a pretty good player but not 7 million for 7 years good. Really he is marginally better than Cody Franson but the mean streak and big hits aren't worth an extra 4 million per season. I love how people justify a bad contract by saying that someone else would have given him more money. So that makes it better right ?? Fucking retarded thinking right there. Sure the cap is going up but when you have 20 per year million tied up in Clarkson, Kessel and Phaneuf that could be a problem. 19 mill on Kesler and the twins is a bit easier to swallow. Much better bang for the buck there.

Bersnoozi must be a hoot at parties. Mangling the English language and then roaring with laughter at his own weak jokes.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Maple leaves acquire Tim Gleason from Carolina for JM Liles and former 6th round pick Dennis Robertson.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Not a bad signing me thinks.
You thinks does you? :roll:
http://web.archive.org/web/201004061012 ... story.html

APRIL 3, 2010

Dion Phaneuf Demmed Most Overrated Player in the NHL by Peers

Feedback for the Sports Illustrated poll didn’t come from media boobs or Internet ninnies. Rather, it was Phaneuf’s peers — 272 of them, a third of the league — who voted on the topic.

And the title went to Phaneuf in a landslide.

Phaneuf drew 21 per cent of the nods. Next was New York Rangers defender Wade Redden, who got seven per cent. Rounding out the top five were Montreal Canadiens centre Scott Gomez (six), Rangers winger Sean Avery (five) and Edmonton Oilers centre Shawn Horcoff (five).
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

NHL Players Poll: Dion Phaneuf is the Most Overrated Player in the NHL

1. Dion Phaneuf, Toronto Maple leaves D 20%
2. Alex Ovechkin, Washington Capitals LW 8%
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/97646 ... n-magazine

OCTOBER 3, 2013

ESPN Player Poll Crowns Phaneuf the Most Overrated Player in the NHL in a Landslide

Dion Phaneuf 13%
Henrik Lundqvist 6.7%
Carl Hagelin 3.3%
:lol: :lol: :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Strangelove wrote:
*LOL* We just had this discussion on another thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10079&start=285
dbr wrote:For all his flaws he (Dion) is probably the most appealing defenseman headed into free agency: young, durable, physical, capable of putting up points and for all of his deserved scorn as a moron out on the ice he does pretty well in pretty tough matchups defensively.
I would add he has a cannon of a shot, logs a ton of minutes and he's a fierce competitor/leader on the ice. I wonder if u want to go @ it with your budz. :roll:

StrangeOne wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

Not sure why would u link this poll, fuckin Einstein man. :lol: If we had Ovi, he'd easily be our best forward. Hell, if we had Dion, he'd easily be our #1 D-man. I think I'd still go:

Dion @ $7M > Edler @ $5M
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

^^^^Hamhuis is a far better player than Phaneuf^^^^ and lol at the other comparison between Edler and Phaneuf.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
http://web.archive.org/web/201004061012 ... story.html

APRIL 3, 2010

Dion Phaneuf Demmed Most Overrated Player in the NHL by Peers

Feedback for the Sports Illustrated poll didn’t come from media boobs or Internet ninnies. Rather, it was Phaneuf’s peers — 272 of them, a third of the league — who voted on the topic.

And the title went to Phaneuf in a landslide.

Phaneuf drew 21 per cent of the nods. Next was New York Rangers defender Wade Redden, who got seven per cent. Rounding out the top five were Montreal Canadiens centre Scott Gomez (six), Rangers winger Sean Avery (five) and Edmonton Oilers centre Shawn Horcoff (five).
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/97646 ... n-magazine

OCTOBER 3, 2013

ESPN Player Poll Crowns Phaneuf the Most Overrated Player in the NHL in a Landslide

Dion Phaneuf 13%
Henrik Lundqvist 6.7%
Carl Hagelin 3.3%
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I dunno Doc, you're argument and evidence is pretty weak...while I agree the Princess is overvalued your point of reference is January 2012 (Or October, for that matter)...flash forward I don't think Ovi & him are playing as bad as they were back then...
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
dbr wrote:For all his flaws he (Dion) is probably the most appealing defenseman headed into free agency: young, durable, physical, capable of putting up points and for all of his deserved scorn as a moron out on the ice he does pretty well in pretty tough matchups defensively.
I would add he has a cannon of a shot, logs a ton of minutes and he's a fierce competitor/leader on the ice. I wonder if u want to go @ it with your budz. :roll:
I'm quite sure my buddy Dave would agree with my one and only point... Todd.

That being:

In NHL player polls, Dion Phaneuf has been consistently rated as one of the most overrated players in the league.
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.1.html
JANUARY 5 2012

Not sure why would u link this poll, fuckin Einstein man. :lol: If we had Ovi, he'd easily be our best forward.
Well you see Todd, folks like Einstein and yours truly understand the definition of the word...

"overrated". Image

You see... Todd... "overrated" is a "relative" term.

Mr Ovechkin was still talked about by pundits as perhaps the best player in the world

.... on JANUARY 5 2012.

(at that point, he was in the midst of what one could call a slump by superduperstar standards)

Meanwhile Mr Phaneuf was never considered to be an elite player.

For example, Mr Ovechkin is invited to participate in what will be his 3rd Winter Olympic Games next month.

How many Winter Olympic Games has your Mr Phaneuf been invited to... Todd?

Is any of this sinking in ole beaner?

RELATIVITY! :thumbs:

You don't need to be an Einstein to understand it...

Many NHLers considered Ovechkin overrated as perhaps the greatest player on Earth

... on JANUARY 5 2012.

Many NHLers considered Phaneuf overrated as an above-average NHL defenseman

... on APRIL 3, 2010, JANUARY 5 2012, and OCTOBER 3, 2013.

GOT IT? :thumbs:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Dion @ $7M > Edler @ $5M
Well that's just stupid....
Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Arachnid wrote: I dunno Doc, you're argument and evidence is pretty weak.
Ummmmmmmmmm......

whooosh

And it's "your". :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Strangelove wrote:
Arachnid wrote: I dunno Doc, you're argument and evidence is pretty weak.
Ummmmmmmmmm......

whooosh

And it's "your". :thumbs:
is the sound of my slapshot whizzing by your head as you waste your waining life energy on trivial pursuits...

Ovi overrated :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Arachnid wrote:I dunno Doc, you're argument and evidence is pretty weak...while I agree the Princess is overvalued your point of reference is January 2012 (Or October, for that matter)...flash forward I don't think Ovi & him are playing as bad as they were back then...
Doc is too busy reading articles that are over 1 year old. He doesn't have a clue what's going on currently. :lol:

Strangelove wrote:
Meanwhile Mr Phaneuf was never considered to be an elite player.

For example, Mr Ovechkin is invited to participate in what will be his 3rd Winter Olympic Games next month.

How many Winter Olympic Games has your Mr Phaneuf been invited to... Todd?

Many NHLers considered Phaneuf overrated as an above-average NHL defenseman

... on APRIL 3, 2010, JANUARY 5 2012, and OCTOBER 3, 2013.
So players consider Phaneuf "overrated" in the past 3 years, so what? Sure, he's not an elite player like Weber/Chara, but he's still a top D-man in the league. He probably won't make the Canadian Olympic squad cuz we're generally pretty stacked with a lot of good players @ the D position. If Phaneuf was not a Canadian, he'd probably make any other country's olympic team. U turn around and ask any NHL player (any GM for that matter) if they would take Phaneuf on their team? I'm sure they take would him in a heartbeat.

Also, Phaneuf is a player built for the NHL, olympics not so much. He's proably not the best skater, which is not good on the olympic ice surface; however, his combination of size, skill, grit and leadership is exactly what u want for a team that wants to go deep into the NHL playoffs.

Blob Mckenzie wrote:^^^^Hamhuis is a far better player than Phaneuf^^^^ and lol at the other comparison between Edler and Phaneuf.
I luv Hammer, but I'd take Dion over Dan. They're both very good defensively, but will make some mistakes once and awhile. Hammer is more of the quiet type/lead by example, while Phaneuf is more vocal. They're both pretty close overall, but I give the edge to Dion cuz of his size. We all know what happened to Hammer when he tried to play physical vs a big strong guy Lucic; Dion on the other hand can handle the rough/physical stuff no probs. Phaneuf also has a cannon of a shot, while Hammer is more of a close range shooter.

edit: I'd like to add Dion was an offensive juggernaut when he first came into the league. He scored like 20G as a rookie blueliner and had like 60P in his 3rd year. He struggled for a bit in Calgary after and in TO they seem to use him more as a shut-down/big minutes guy as they have other guys who can play the PP. There was talk early on, who would u rather have as your franchise player? a top young scorer like Crosby or a stud D-man like Phaneuf. It was close @ one time. Phaneuf has skillz that are not fully utilized, just sayin.

Lastly, I won't mind seeing and hearing about Elisha out and about in town. <3 :oops: